Website designers, help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website designers, help me out

I'm creating a site for my dad and I haven't coded pages in at least a decade. I've been looking over w3 schools and I have a shitty temp thing set up right now, but I have a few questions-

1) Does IE not recognize index phps? I can pull up the site just fine in FF, but the site doesn't load at all in IE- I just get a blank done screen.

2) Centering tables in CSS- I know the </font> tag is being done away with, and I've been trying a few varieties of CSS table centering that I've found using google, but I'm not exactly sure where to put them because when I use them, it's incorrect and the changes don't occur.

http://www.granneman.com/webdev/codi.../centertables/

To center a table, you need to set the margins, like this:

table.center {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;}

And then do this:

<table class="center">
    </table>

At this point, Mozilla and Opera will center your table. Internet Explorer 5.5 and up, however, needs you to add this to your CSS as well:

body {text-align:center;}
    do I put the " table.center{ " stuff in the head portion of the code, or right before the table? Same with the body text?

thanks if I have more questions I'll dump them here as well
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

simply put <center> above <table>

or do u want the text IN the table centered...?
    The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
    SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

We are talking CSS here, you either put that in an external file (best option) or in a style element in your HEAD element (bad option) or in a style attribute on the element in your HTML (worst option). Which do you want? I could help you out.

Can you supply a link to your site, or are you running local? I don't understand why Firefox would work and IE totally not. Do you use a (STRICT) DOCTYPE and did you validate your HTML and CSS? Do you use HTML 4.01 or XHTML?
      You ate some priest porridge

Comment

It's a little diffrent for IE yes :turned:
        https://soundcloud.com/annux-1/annux-relief

1:Wah!!>THE WAY I FEEL FOR YOUUU HOHOHOHOOH OHOHO
        1:Wah!!>OH OH OH OH OH OH OOOHH
        1:Wah!!>I dont worry cause
        1:soild <ZH>>EVERYHTINGS GONNA BE ARLIGFHT
        1:Wah!!>people keep on talking
        1:soild>they can say what they like
        1:Wah!!>ALL I know is:
        1:soild>EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Comment

Yes, but very easy to get it to work. You basically just use a wrapping div, make the body align text center (for IE6) and in the wrapping div you put the text-alignment back to left.

For the standard browsers you put "margin: 0px auto" to center the div.
          You ate some priest porridge

Comment

What is up TW.

index.php is server-side so it has nothing to do with which browsers. If you want www.domain.com/ to show www.domain.com/index.php you need to tell your server to do that. With Apache, you do that in a .htaccess file with the directive: DirectoryIndex index.php.

table.prettyTable {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;} is CSS. It applies to a table with the class "prettyTable". If the table is in a fixed-width div, the auto margins will center the entire table within that div. Without the enclosing fixed-width div, there will be no effect.

Firebug is your HTML/CSS design friend.

Comment

an old face in troubled times
              duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

How about
                table.center {left:50%; margin-left:-half of the image/table size;}

Been using that since forever, still works like a charm. Keeps everything centered in the right place when used properly.
                Also there might be problems with classes so if you just assing that table as #center and use it in id. That might even fix the problem with the auto margins.

Code:
                css:
                #center {
                    position: absolute;
                    left: 50%;
                    width: 800px;
                    margin-left: -400px;
                }

<div id="center">
                  </div>
                And yeah, the font trick might only work on div aswell just remembered that. Just use divs for everything

Edit: http://unliked.galaxyturbo.xytex.net/dental/ works there atleast
                Last edited by The Unliked One...; 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM.
                2:Galaxy Turbo> Jab?
                2:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> what...
                2:Galaxy Turbo> Who would be your dream woman?
                2:Unliked <ER>> i bet kim
                2:Galaxy Turbo> Lol...
                2:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> afk
                --
                1:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> <-- Life
                1:TWDevChat2> JabJabJab> GG

Comment

Originally posted by project dragon View Post
                  an old face in troubled times
                  Raise your hand if you need a bailout

Comment

center the table, but not its text:

<div style="text-align: center;">

<table style="text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; width: 400px; border: 1px solid black;">
                    <tr><td>centered</td></tr>
                    </table>

</div>
                    -Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X