Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas Cop prevents family from seeing their mother in hospital minutes before death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas Cop prevents family from seeing their mother in hospital minutes before death

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....6f8a23c1.html

DALLAS — Racing to see his dying mother-in-law at a Plano hospital, an NFL player found himself delayed by a Dallas officer as her life ebbed away. It's a story that has sparked outrage across North Texas and generated interest around the country.

Dallas police Chief David Kunkle faced reporters Thursday afternoon to express his embarrassment over the incident and to publicly apologize to the family. He said the officer involved failed to use common sense.

It all started in the early morning hours of March 17. With his wife and another woman in the car, Ryan Moats — a running back for the Houston Texans — sped his car toward Baylor Regional Medical Center of Plano. But when the Moats arrived at emergency room parking lot, they were stopped by Officer Robert Powell, who reportedly drew his service revolver on the concerned family members.

Dashcam video from the Dallas officer's patrol car captured the incident.

"Get in there," Officer Powell yelled out to Tamishia Moats, Ryan's wife, as she exited the car. "Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car."

"Excuse me; my mom is dying," Tamisha Moats replied.

She and the other woman ignored Officer Powell's commands and rushed inside the hospital to her dying mother as Ryan Moats and Officer Powell went back-and-forth over insurance paperwork the NFL player was unable to locate.

MOATS: "I've got seconds before she's gone, man."

POWELL: "Listen: If I can't verify you have insurance..."

MOATS: "My mother-in-law is dying!"

POWELL: "Listen to me."

MOATS: "Right now, you're wasting my time."

POWELL: "If you can't verify you have insurance, I'm going to tow your car. So, you either find it or I am going to tow the car."

As they argued, the officer got irritated.

POWELL: "Shut your mouth. Shut your mouth. You can either settle down and cooperate, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

"I certainly hope anybody who saw the videotape immediately understood how serious the misconduct is," Chief Kunkle said Thursday afternoon. "I don't know how you train for these circumstances other than to hire people with good common sense and people skills."

In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me," he said.

No compassion was indicated in the police recording of the incident. "I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

"My understanding is that Officer Powell — even after he saw the videotape — believed he had not acted inappropriately," Chief Kunkle said, a view that was underscored by Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson, who reviewed the tape with Officer Powell on Wednesday.

"His belief was simply that he was doing his job," Chief Simpson said. "It did concern me that it just seemed that the compassion was not there."

The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead.

"I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats said in a telephone interview.

Dallas police have launched a review of the incident.

“When it came to our attention, we immediately called for an internal investigation to be done,” said police spokesman Lt. Andy Havey.

"The essence of being a police officer is common sense and discretion," Chief Kunkle added. "I can't imagine a worse circumstance."

WFAA.com has received more than 400 comments about the incident since the story first aired on Channel 8 Wednesday night.
    And if you are wondering if Moats sped through the red light, think again!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...p.3e9c080.html

The couple, along with Collinsworth’s father and an aunt, jumped into the SUV and headed back toward the hospital. They exited the Dallas North Tollway, just down the street from the hospital.

Moats turned on his hazard lights. He stopped at a red light, where, he said, the only nearby motorist signaled for him to go ahead. He went through.

Powell, watching traffic from a hidden spot, flipped on his lights and sirens. In less than a minute, he caught up to the SUV and followed for about 20 more seconds as Moats found a parking spot outside the emergency room.

Tamishia, 27, was the first out. Powell drew his gun and yelled at her to get back in.

“Get in there!” he yelled. “Let me see your hands!”

“My mom is dying,” she explained to him.

Powell was undeterred.
    Here's the thing.

This dick refused to at least write a ticket and let the guy be with his dying mom after 2 nurses and another cop came over and explained to him that the mother is dying.

How would you feel if a cop pulled this shit with you, if you knew your mother-in-law or mother was dying in the hospital a few feet away?
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Typical treatment of blax. Sorry, LB.

at least white women want your dick hehehehheheme2

Comment

this story is at least a week old. Get with the fucking times.

Guy shouldnt have ran a red light and there wouldnt be any problem to begin with.
      8:Lrim> you guys take this game too seriously

Comment

posted on the 26th, exactly a week since it's happened

and it's still ridiculous, blow me
        My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

whats rediculous?? Had it been a normal citizen this wouldnt be fucking news, and his wife who "RAN FROM THE COP" would have prolly been thrown in jail. Thats reality.

Comment

it still would have gotten news, just probably wouldn't have stayed in the media attention quite as long as it will now

wife wouldn't have been thrown in jail, if you think that then you haven't watched the dashcam or are just playing internet tough guy

i get jokes

Comment

no, cops are pricks.

Comment

Originally posted by raizin View Post
                rediculous??
                hm

Comment

Cop appologizes days later and then it was reported he quits the force
                  May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

i think there's some sort of coping mechanism that police officers subconsciously use. I image it's like a soldier who's killed dozens of men and doesn't really think about what he's doing anymore. I guess the police officer thought he was just doing his job because it allows him to go through his day without hating himself for causing so much difficulty to people for what really isn't worth the trouble of ticketing/arresting them. that's the only way i can see someone just not having the compassion to realize what was going on.
                    .fffffffff_____
                    .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                    .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                    .fffffff\______/
                    .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                    .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                    .fffff\________/
                    .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                    .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                    .fff\__________/

Comment

I think this is one of those very few occasions where it's okay to knock out a cop and deal with the consequences later. Prick.
                      7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
                      7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
                      7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
                      7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
                      1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

knockers. log in u cunt

Comment

Originally posted by Zizu View Post
                          knockers. log in u cunt
                          i just did, you're afk asshole!
                          7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
                          7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
                          7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
                          7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
                          1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

If I would see an opportunity to make him feel alot of pain, I would do it
                            help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

I personally don't like cops, but you have got to give them a hand for having one of the most thankless jobs on the planet...

#1) If you are speeding and running red lights, expect to be stopped by the cops.

#2) If you come off as an arrogant asshole, i.e. "you're wasting my time", you are asking for more trouble...

This would've been a non issue if Mr.NFL Above The Law Superstar would've just cooperated with the Officer.
                              Displaced> I get pussy every day
                              Displaced> I'm rich
                              Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                              Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                              Thors> prolly
                              Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

Working...
                              X