Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netbooks...anyone use them on the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbooks...anyone use them on the forum?

I was curious if anyone has purchased/using a netbook?

I was looking at the new 2 GB Ram, 6 cell battery, 160 GB sATA drive Netbooks out that are somewhat impressive at 8.5".

The only thing I was not thrilled with about these netbboks, is that they ship with XP Home. I would much prefer XP Pro, but I am sure it can be upgraded. That, and it only has a VGA output and not a DVI or HDMI.

With free WiFi all over the place, I am tempted to go this route over a new Blackberry, especially for work related situations and VPN ease to the network.

Just curious to know if anyone has been using these.
    May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

If I were to get a netbook it'd have to have ubuntu.

http://netbook-review.com/ubuntu-ubuntu-remix-netbook

Comment

Interesting Netbook, thank you, as I am checking all the reviews...acer is all over the place with Asus and HP. The Asus seems to give you more bang for the buck and uses the same Intel Atom processor. I also have always like Asus's products. I just wish they would option the choice of the O.S. they use on these systems, but I read a review of a user putting Windows 7 on w/o a prob.

This industry is gonna take off in the months ahead...I can only imagine as to what the upgrades will be in the next 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
        If I were to get a netbook it'd have to have ubuntu.

http://netbook-review.com/ubuntu-ubuntu-remix-netbook
        Whats so great about Linux. Can it run Continuum, Office 2007, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, MSN, vlc-player, Nero, Nokia software?

Comment

I've been using an Asus EEE PC since September with the same specs, except that it has a 10" screen. I'd be careful with buying an 8.5" netbook, the keyboard is going to be very small so it could become uncomfortable during periods of long usage.

I'd still highly recommend any netbook though. I've been loving mine ever since I bought it and I would hate it if I had to go without one...

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_ View Post
            Whats so great about Linux. Can it run Continuum, Office 2007, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, MSN, vlc-player, Nero, Nokia software?
            ofcourse it can!

wine is very useful.

Also, VLC is the #1 recommended video/music player for ubuntu. Doesn't even need wine. There's several programs out there that can be run with ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Nycle View Post
              I've been using an Asus EEE PC since September with the same specs, except that it has a 10" screen. I'd be careful with buying an 8.5" netbook, the keyboard is going to be very small so it could become uncomfortable during periods of long usage.

I'd still highly recommend any netbook though. I've been loving mine ever since I bought it and I would hate it if I had to go without one...
              No probs with XP Home? I was just curious due to networking situation in comparing Home to XP Pro.

I hear ya on the 8.5 vs 10" screen. Thanks for that tip! I saw a 5.2"? unit that had a swivel screen as well as built in cam and GPS. Nice item to mount in a car, but somewhat useless otherwise.

Noting it has both, 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) & 10/100 Fast Ethernet, I was liking the use of VPN to my work network while on a jobsite and or wherever.

I am liking the Asus so far and am seeing quite a lot of positive reviews online about it too. Thanks Nycle!

Comment

Heh, the first thing I did when I got mine was format it and put Windows XP Pro on it. The reason why you can't find any netbook with XP Pro is because Microsoft doesn't allow it without paying the (heavy) price for it. I can tell you that XP Pro works with no problems. I've been told that Windows 7 works like a charm as well, so you shouldn't have any problems with that in the future. I wouldn't buy a Linux-based netbook. There's a reason Asus took their Linux-based ones out of their portfolio...

Anyhow, I'd see an Asus as a really good pick. They fucking own when it comes to netbooks. It's so true that they give the most bang for your buck, and their build quality is still solid as hell. My own netbook has so far endured the torments of long lectures and abusive fellow students without any problems. Not even a scratch. Asus' service is great too. Over here their notebooks come with a 2 year pick-up and return guarantee, I've never had to use it though. They should come with the same in the US. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I've got a 10" LG netbook which I love. It's got LG's sense of style and came standard with a 6-cell battery which is great, and Bluetooth connectivity. The European version of the same model comes with a 3G modem.

Comment

macbooks for the win :]
                    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

i very much dislike all that is apple
                      USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_ View Post
                        When you are looking at computers as cheap as netbooks, Windows would be like a fourth of the total cost

Comment

I've got a 10" Asus netbook like Nycle. Mine is the 1000HE. I upgraded it to 2GB of RAM. It's great, I get about 8 hours of battery life with wireless on. I'd also recommend it because of keyboard size. If you get an Asus, make it the 1000HE because they keyboard layout is slightly different than previous models. It also has a "chiclet" style keyboard.

I've got an XP Pro license, but I didn't see any need to install XP pro. I never used any of the special networking stuff anyway, I just used 3rd party software. Nycle, were you able to get all the proprietary Asus stuff working on it?

Comment

I got a 1000HE as well! But what exactly do you mean by their proprietary software? I only installed the necessary drivers and they worked perfectly. The rest I don't give a damn about, I hate all the extra pre-installed crap that they put on computers nowadays.

Comment

Like the power management software and the multi-touch gestures on the touchpad ... can't think of anything else at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X