Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragonboat races at False Creek - 2009 (FCRCC Regatta!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonboat races at False Creek - 2009 (FCRCC Regatta!)

False Creek is an area in Vancouver, B.C. Canada where many dragon boat races are held annually. This race is only a preliminary to the big festival that is held on June 20'th called the Rio Tinto Alcan Dragon Boat race festival. It lasts two days and medals/prizes are to be won. Teams from other regions of Canada and even from the U.S. will come to the event to compete with our local teams.

Hey, this was my first year dragonboating and we had our first races last Sunday. Our team, Banana Fusion, came in first place for Rec B championships! It was a long day, and the races were spread apart an hour+ at a time. It was difficult to sustain our energy levels throughout the day and especially for the final race. Our team was by the water from 7:30 am till 4 pm.

If you guys are unfamiliar with the sport of dragonboating, then just check out the video:

Rec B Championship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiRrp...eature=related
    Our boat is in Lane 4. The lanes are counted as Lane 1 on the left, and Lane 6 being the furthest on the right in the video. I sat in the third seat on the left, so I'm not shown much on the video.
    We beat the second placed team, Dragon Hearts Beat, by about 2 seconds (about 1 boat length).

For a tighter race, check out the Rec A Championship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXl82...eature=related
    My friend is in Lane 5 with her team, Riptide. They held the lead for some time in the race and two boats came up behind and overtook them.

And to watch some real pro's in action, here's the Competitive Championship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5WOC...eature=related
    The team in Lane 3 that look like a team of machines is the FCRCC Mixed team, and they compete worldwide. One of B.C.'s best.

Even though dragonboating is still considered the lowliest form of boating compared to Outrigger Canoeing or Skulling, its a still great opportunity to familiarize oneself with paddling. I'm definitely gonna try OC'ing one of these days.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
    Failure teaches success.

You must try really hard to be Asian.

Comment

Dragonball races at False Anime

Comment

banana fusion? hahahaha let's change our squad name to that!
        HEATHA> i smell like ass

Comment

Good luck! ^-^ ( pic unrelated to kim's actual boat, but go go kim ! )
          Last edited by Xog; 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Man, I thought this was going to be about drag boat racing.
            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

f

Comment

Working...
              X