20 year anniversary of 6-4... from my perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 year anniversary of 6-4... from my perspective

20 years ago, I was in Beijing. My grandmother on my mother's side had an apartment that was a couple kilometers away from Tiananmen square for retired veterans (both my grandparents on my mother's side fought in WW2 and in the Korean war).

I was two days away from turning 5. I remember my mother running into my bedroom, grabbing me and telling me to lay down on the floor. A helicopter flew overhead shining a searchlight and announced "surrender the tank" before I heard machinegun fire. Apparently a student had hijacked a tank and fired on the helicopter - the tank was downstairs from our 6-story building. I could feel the ground rumble. The machinegun fire missed the mark and hit our building - bullets ricocheted into the halls outside our apartment.

My grandfather, a veteran and former army colonel, ushered everybody towards center of the house, and told everyone to stay low. I wanted to look out the window but my mom wouldn't let me.

A couple days later we were finally able to leave our apt. The entire time I remember my grandfather staying by the door refusing to let anyone go outside. He was also the one who prevented my parents (who were both teachers at the time) from joining the protests. I remember hearing a woman screaming next doors. They lost a daughter, who was 19, to the massacre. I remember that the mother screamed "they're using real bullets... they've used real bullets."

On my way to my other grandmother's house, who lived farther away from the chaos, I remember my mother telling me to not look at the ground. There were patches of blood everywhere, apparently the fighting had spilled into the hutongs and sidestreets. Bulletholes riddled bus stops and metro stations, as well as our own apartment building (these holes are patched up and still visible in 2006, when I was last there.)

So that's my account of the event - whats sad is that my younger cousins, who are 21 and 20 respectively, have NO knowledge of this incident where over 2000 unarmed people died. But luckily for us, we still have access to the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananm...otests_of_1989

which allowed me to fill in a lot of the back story on why it happened...
    Last edited by Bioture; 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM.
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

A lot of people in China today insist it's Western propaganda
    USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Originally posted by D1st0rt View Post
      A lot of people in China today insist it's Western propaganda
      A lot of people in China today doesn't know the truth, or say they believe the un-truth because they don't want to be scapegoated.
      TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
      TelCat> hoes get paid :(
      TelCat> i dont

Comment

I was 7 years old in Canada. For the preceding few weeks my parents had been intently following it on TV, and I remember every night watching TV with them as I did, watching this go on. I had no idea what it was all about, and I wanted to watch something more 'fun' but I didn't have control of the TV.

I remember my grade 2 teacher telling me that she felt bad about what was going on and I was like 'ah thanks' but didn't really understand the significance of it all. Sure I vaguely knew why we moved to Canada in the first place, and I knew of Beijing, but the deeper ideas eluded me.

Then I remember on June 3rd, watching on TV as the tanks rolled in, gunfire was everywhere and watching it all unfurl on TV. My parents told me that I had to watch it, and remember what I saw. Well I'm glad that I did.

Years later I learned the true significance of it all when I saw an excellent documentary about June 4th on PBS.

When I was in China 2 years ago, on the planeride back, I sat next to a new Tsinghua university graduate (one of the top universities in China) going to an overseas co-op job. We chatted for 5 hours on China, democracy and so on. He seemed to know as much as anyone could know about his own country and his facts were pretty accurate even if his point of view was different. He had told me that most people knew of June 4th at least in Beijing, although people never talked about it anymore. The secret wish of everyone our age was that China go the way of Taiwan and South Korea with incremental democracy. We'll see how that goes...
        Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
        www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
        www.animeslice.com

Comment

I sent this article to a mate who's on a business trip over there, and he gets 404'd because of the Great Firewall of China.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,4785429.story

Comment

Wow.. did they do this before?

And Bio, chilling tale..

Comment

Tiananmen Square was the first time I became aware of the concept of news and current events. Until then I don't think I was really aware of the world beyond my immediate surroundings. It was the first time I understood that there were important things happening in the world, and that what I saw on the TV was history coalescing.

The image of that solitary figure standing in front of the row of tanks will always stand out in my mind.

Comment

I visited the square

Chinese governemt are faggots.

Comment

Great post Bioture, rarely do we see posts with the sort of emotion and meaning you displayed in your initial post.
                  it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

great thread deserving a bump.

Great post bioture, glad to see they do still exist.
                    The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                    All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Working...
                    X