Clear All

• Disney and Marvel

Together? I fear for iron man 2

why when they got Jake Gyllenhall for Prince of Persia

Disney is good for marvel
    sigpic
    All good things must come to an end.

Comment

yea i heard about this yesterday - what do you guys think will happen to Disney's "clean" image? Will they still be using the Marvel name for their "marvely" products?

Comment

I think this news is overblown. All it'll likely mean is you'll see Wolverine at DisneyWorld and plush Micky Mouse dolls dressed as Spider-Man.

I don't see any artistic changes. Disney owns Miramax too, and they still gave us the Kill Bill films and Gangs of New York, movies that don't really fit the Disney image.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King View Post
          I think this news is overblown. All it'll likely mean is you'll see Wolverine at DisneyWorld and plush Micky Mouse dolls dressed as Spider-Man.

I don't see any artistic changes. Disney owns Miramax too, and they still gave us the Kill Bill films and Gangs of New York, movies that don't really fit the Disney image.

Someone on Fark yesterday suggested that this was a ploy by Disney to get at Universal Studios in Orlando. They have a lot of Marvel licenses at Islands of Adventure, Disneyworld's main competitor, that they will now be unable to renew. Plus Disney's always had trouble appealing to teenage males, so we'll see how this goes.
          Originally posted by Tone
          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Waiting for Marvel vs. Capcom vs. Disney.

And Kingdom Hearts III with marvel worlds!
            duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

I heard Mouserine are coming out next year
              DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
              Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
              Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
              -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

I wonder what disney is thinking here. Marvel's core audience is a mature bunch. I'm interested to see what Disney will turn into. Marvel had it perfect if you ask me, they were mature enough to appeal to adults, and OK enough to appeal to kids over 8. Disney's main target audience is kids under 12, and the occasional pg-13. movie (Pirates of Carribean series). Movie go-ers who are anticipating things like Iron Man 2, will be entering the theathers on negative pretenses, simply because they're thinking "I hope to hell Disney didn't fuck up Iron man, with their elementary school bullshit." They're going to have to budget++ for most movies on special effects, as well as get some BIG name supporting actors for a lot of their sequel movies.

Won't first-time parents second guess seeing a Disney movie knowing their the ones(indirectly) who are the makers of movies like The Punisher? Not trying to bash on it, just an example. I don't see a parent who has watched The Punisher let their kid watch a PG movie by Disney, I just don't see it.

Disney should expect serrious backlash , parent's will reconsider letting their kids see a disney movie. They know disney will try to slowly move their audiences toward a more serious/realistic tone. And will avoid it.
                4:BigKing> xD
                4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                4:BigKing> what did i do???
                4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                4:BigKing> ???? why though
                4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

Um, no. The two brands are strong enough on their own that this should have no effect. Like I said above, those fears are overblown and don't reflect the companies' histories. Disney bought Marvel to tap into the teenage boy market. They don't have to change anything more to reap the benefits.

Disney owns a lot of stuff already that you wouldn't expect, and they didn't "Disney-fy" them. Miramax, with several Tarantino and Kevin Smith films, ABC with Lost and Desperate Housewives. ESPN. Consumers are smart enough to not confuse Punisher with Toy Story.

And Marvel? They already produce several "kiddie" versions of their comic books aimed at young audiences.

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                    I wonder what disney is thinking here. Marvel's core audience is a mature bunch.
                    Like you? Hah! Marvel's audience is children and man-boy nerds - no more, no less.
                    Originally posted by paradise!
                    I'm interested to see what Disney will turn into.
                    Probably the same thing they've always been: money-grubbing whores.
                    Disney's main target audience is kids under 12, and the occasional pg-13. movie (Pirates of Carribean series). Movie go-ers who are anticipating things like Iron Man 2, will be entering the theathers on negative pretenses, simply because they're thinking "I hope to hell Disney didn't fuck up Iron man, with their elementary school bullshit." They're going to have to budget++ for most movies on special effects, as well as get some BIG name supporting actors for a lot of their sequel movies.
                    In name, Disney's audience is children and their parents because that's what sells a shitload of movies. In practice, Disney's audience is everyone. Like someone already said, Miramax is owned by Disney and they release movies like Dogma and the Scream trilogy (soon to be quadrology+). This is nothing new for Disney.
                    Won't first-time parents second guess seeing a Disney movie knowing their the ones(indirectly) who are the makers of movies like The Punisher? Not trying to bash on it, just an example. I don't see a parent who has watched The Punisher let their kid watch a PG movie by Disney, I just don't see it.

Disney should expect serrious backlash , parent's will reconsider letting their kids see a disney movie. They know disney will try to slowly move their audiences toward a more serious/realistic tone. And will avoid it.
                    Maybe if you have kids that will be your policy. The rest of the world judges a film on its market, its rating, and the critics. It's not like Disney is going to sneak a pair of tits in (though I wish they would).

Comment

Originally posted by genocidal View Post
                      Like you? Hah! Marvel's audience is children and man-boy nerds - no more, no less.

Probably the same thing they've always been: money-grubbing whores.

In name, Disney's audience is children and their parents because that's what sells a shitload of movies. In practice, Disney's audience is everyone. Like someone already said, Miramax is owned by Disney and they release movies like Dogma and the Scream trilogy (soon to be quadrology+). This is nothing new for Disney.

Maybe if you have kids that will be your policy. The rest of the world judges a film on its market, its rating, and the critics. It's not like Disney is going to sneak a pair of tits in (though I wish they would).
                      Why make this personal? You do understand that the largest consumers for Marvel films aren't overweight comic book nerds correct?. You have this uncanny way of making things personal, it's really amazing. This might JUST be me but, I dont think of myself as a man-boy nerd for seeing Iron man or Xmen origins. You seem to be connecting a late 80s early 90s timeframe of 9 and 10 year olds walking into comic book stores to buy the latest comic with the a new present where everybody can enjoy Marvel material through cinemas worldwide. It's appealed now to a larger audience. I'm forced to wonder, earth to genocidal, earth to genocidal, come in genocidal, respond with you're usual drivel. Do us all a favor, and keep your garbage in Useless Crap, thanks buddy.

Disney's audience is not everyone, they wouldn't need to buy Marvel if they had that kind of dominance. Acquisition of Miramax was in 1993. Miramax had a networth of only $70 million. No one really knew who they were. What's different now is that the acquisition of Marvel was a bigtime deal. Marvel is no little company, they alone were bought for $4B. That's saying something. Now people will try to mentally forge disney characters WITH famous Marvel Characters, it's just something that will be hard to do.

This IS something new with disney because they are dealing with a new consumer base, and a firmly established corporation.
                      4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                      4:BigKing> what did i do???
                      4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                      4:BigKing> ???? why though
                      4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

A firmly established corporation like ABC television which Disney purchased in 1996?

They didn't buy Marvel because they want to change the company's target audience to fit their own. They bought them to expand their own to include Marvel's audience. They've got a good grip on the kiddie market, they didn't spend 4 billion to get a larger grip on that market, they did it so they can profit from Marvel's. You're looking at it backwards. You don't spend that kind of change on a market you already dominate, you do it to grab hold of a new one.

You're talking like they're absorbing Marvel and turning it into Disney. Look at the other properties they own and you'll see that's not the way they operate.

Comment

And since when does Marvel make the big bucks from their movies? They only make money off of the character licensing. The studios are the ones paying most, if not all of the budget as well as the ones making most of the profits.

edit: Huh. Apparently that was the case until recently when Marvel began making their own movies and paying Paramount only distribution rights. Didn't know that.

Originally posted by FTA
                          New York-based Marvel began making pictures on its own instead of licensing characters, starting with last year’s “Iron Man,” which took in $585.1 million worldwide, according to researcher Box Office Mojo.
                          Last edited by Squeezer; 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM.
                          Originally posted by Tone
                          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Here's a good analysis on what direction Disney is likely to take:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a3mVWau.h28g

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                              Why make this personal? You do understand that the largest consumers for Marvel films aren't overweight comic book nerds correct?. You have this uncanny way of making things personal, it's really amazing. This might JUST be me but, I dont think of myself as a man-boy nerd for seeing Iron man or Xmen origins.
                              You aren't a man-boy, you're a child.

Comment

Working...
                              X