New PC. What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC. What do you think?

hey everyone, just here to pretty much brag and see opinions about the new computer i am ordering on the 28th!

all from newegg.com...my goal was to have a PC that can last me about 5 years without having to upgrade anything! i know there is a chance i might, but that was the goal i had.."5 year pc, on $1400 budget" (was originally 1200, but that was too hard to accomplish)...

-SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

-Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

-SAMSUNG T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor

-SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VXL Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W (power supply)

-OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory

-ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

TOTAL after shipping/tax: $1397.28 ($1357.28 after mail-in rebates)

IMO, list your specs in a better order - DVD burner doesn't deserve to be on top because nobody really cares about that :P

Looks pretty good to me though... what's the res of your monitor? Is it gonna be really noisy to run? (most people don't care about that though)

Comment

Why not just go for 5870/5970 immediately?

Sounds like a waste to me if you'll just stick to 5770, at least if you won't be playing too many DX11 supporting games.

Personally got a 4890 which is better than 5770 for outright gaming performance. It's also not that much more expensive than 5770.

Also, couldn't find exact info on the monitor.. 16:9 or 16:10 resolution. If :9, that sucks. :P
      3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
      3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
      3:i.d.> da fk is that?
      3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
      3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
      3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
      3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
      3:Shadowmere> LOL
      3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
      Shadowmere> Rofl
      Up in ya !> With his feet
      Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
      Up in ya !> l44t feet
      Deft> l44t f44t*
      Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
      Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

I can see this thread geting moved soon. Hi tt nice comp.
        sigpic

Comment

But will it run SS?
          2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
          2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
          2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
          2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
          2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
          1:spider> Wooooohoo!
          1:spider> .*passes the hat*
          1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Resolution on the LCD is 1920x1200 (aka 16:10 $)--also has a TV tuner, which means i can plug cable right into the back and it comes with a remote too...

Serti--as far as getting an HD 5770..I know, I originally had selected a 4890 as well. The other 5000series were too expensive, but the 4890 is in my range. You are right, it is slightly better performance, but the fact that it is DX 10 instead of 11 was making me think I should go for the 5770...

I am actually using this computer more so for graphic/multimedia design--I am not a gamer. Actually the only game I have played on the PC is subspace. :P

I am going to do some more thinking and I miiight go back to the HD 4890. Everything else will stay the same though!

PS- Sorry, I meant to post this in "General Discussion"

Comment

Dont go for the 4890, stick with the current config. The 5770 will give you plenty of performance for the moment and it supports dx11. If you ever need more power just stick 2 more 5770's in there with crossfire. I noticed your motherboard supports it.
              Parts look good btw. A friend of mine also has a Samsung tv montitor, works great, good colors.

Comment

looks good, dude.

i'm building a slightly less beefed up system myself. been waiting on an rma from newegg for wayyy too long now. they sent me a 5750 instead of a 5770.

specs on my build:

xeon x3440 cpu
                coolermaster hyper 212+ hsf
                gigabyte p55-ud4p mobo
                g.skill 4gb pc1600 ddr3 ram
                xfx radeon hd 5770
                seagate 7200.12 500gb hdd
                coolermaster 690 case
                corsair 650tx psu
                win7 pro x64

i spent quite some time going back and forth between a core i5-750 and a core i7-860, then i came across the xeon x3440. price-wise it's between the other two, but it offers hyperthreading (which the i5-750 lacks) for about $50 less than the i7-860. i could probably get away with the stock cooler since i don't plan on an immediate OC, but i figure the hyper 212+ will allow me to get the x3440 to around the 3.8GHz mark once i do crank 'er up. i went with the 5770 over the 4890 for the same reason as you. hoping i can save up quickly and get myself an SSD for the OS drive. i went with the single platter 500gb seagate since i have an external 1tb western digital for storage.
                jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Nice Jason, that OC speed is pretty crazy..I definitely don't plan on doing any overclocking.. I am a newb and I don't trust myself to mess around with this system..I just plan on putting the parts together and popping in a windows 7 disc, followed by installing drivers..and I'll be set. BTW, I was about to get an 860 cpu, which uses an LGA 1156 motherboard..however I found out "hyperthreading" on the 920 is good for graphic/multimedia design. In addition, the 920 uses an LGA 1366 motherboard, which is apparently the future socket for the next few years..If that is the case when I want to upgrade my gfx card, add ram, and upgrade CPU, I can just pop an i9 in there!

I can't wait for this..I am pretty sure it will last me a few years! :grin:

Comment

without a doubt, that system will be just fine for a minimum of 2 years. depending on how demanding you are as far as running the latest and greatest games at super high resolutions with tons of eye candy, i'd say more like 3 to 4 years, realistically.
                    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                      without a doubt, that system will be just fine for a minimum of 2 years. depending on how demanding you are as far as running the latest and greatest games at super high resolutions with tons of eye candy, i'd say more like 3 to 4 years, realistically.
                      Yea, I am not a gamer at all--Adobe Creative Suite, and maybe some other software..Other than that, just some movies maybe, and general usage ..As far as I can see right now that is..My goal was to make a "5 year pc" in $1400 USD...Original was $1200, but it was impossible. :P

Comment

my bad

whoopsie daisy

etc
                        Last edited by Roy; 12-19-2009, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trancE tunes View Post
                          Yea, I am not a gamer at all--Adobe Creative Suite, and maybe some other software..Other than that, just some movies maybe, and general usage ..As far as I can see right now that is..My goal was to make a "5 year pc" in $1400 USD...Original was $1200, but it was impossible. :P
                          if you're not gaming much, i'd say you'll hit your 5 year goal. the only thing you *might* need to do, say 3 or so years down the road, is throw in a bit more ram. you can never have too much, especially with cs4.
                          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

i concur.

Comment

I think that the concept of building a 5-year computer is kind of silly. You and your money would be better served by building a decent computer now and upgrading it as time goes by.

I also think you can build a similarly-specced computer for $1200. I'll give it a shot. ^-^

Edit: I didn't see you included the monitor up there. Originally said $1000.

Comment

Working...
                              X