Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another revolution in genetics: Synthetic life created finally

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ic-life-genome

It was a dream that began nearly 15 years ago, when Craig Venter, a Vietnam veteran turned geneticist, resolved one day to create a genome from scratch – and with it, make the first ever synthetic life form. Last night, in a dramatic announcement that led some to accuse him of playing God, Venter said the dream had come true, saying he had created an organism with manmade DNA.
    The possibilities and impacts on this are still to be discovered.
    Ara / AraGee / Death
    SSCU Trench Wars Player since 1999
    SSCU Trench Wars Staff since 2001
    TWDL, TWL-B, TWL-D, TWL-J, TWDT-J Champion
    ----------------------------------------------

And if the microbe were, somehow, to escape the tight security of Venter's lab? "It will not grow outside the lab unless it is deliberately injected or sprayed into a goat. And we don't work with goats."

1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Cock the hammer

The feat, hailed as an epochal scientific breakthrough by some but an alarming development by others, was achieved by scientists at the J Craig Venter Insititute in Rockville, Maryland using little more than a computer, some common microbes, a DNA synthesizer and four bottles of chemicals.
      So you mean to tell me I can make this shit in a dirty sink with a few bottles of God water and my laptop?

I can't wait to start blowing some heads off when it mutates into something cooler than goat cancer.
      Confused by different memories,
      Details of Asian remedies...
      Conversations, of what's become of enemies.
      My brain thinks bomb-like,
      So I listen, he's a calm type.

Comment

Originally posted by crescent seal View Post
        and if the microbe were, somehow, to escape the tight security of venter's lab? "it will not grow outside the lab unless it is deliberately injected or sprayed into a goat. And we don't work with goats."

hahahahahahhah +1 +1 +1
        4:BigKing> xD
        4:Best> i'm leaving chat
        4:BigKing> what did i do???
        4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
        4:BigKing> ???? why though
        4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
        4:BigKing> xD

Comment

It isn't really making new life, it is using current life and manipulating it. Making new life would be starting from something that wasn't a lifeform in the first place.
          Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

I think it is referring to "new" as a change or never before seen type of life form. Not "new" as in starting from scratch.

Comment

But we have seen it before...
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Working...
              X