No announcement yet.

Riddle Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only problem is it requires knowing the knowledge of prisonmates. And if they're in prison, I kind of doubt their intelligence to begin with. Clearly they can't get away with crime.

Comment

Wait, can't the prisoners see the hats that are still sitting there, the ones who weren't picked to be put on their heads?

If they can't I cannot see this problem being solved without it being one of those oh-hey-i-added-an-extra-preposition type riddles.
      4:BigKing> xD
      4:Best> i'm leaving chat
      4:BigKing> what did i do???
      4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
      4:BigKing> ???? why though
      4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

Comment

It's actually a simple riddle. Just put yourself in their shoes and play it out in your head. There are gestures (or reactions) made, but not hand signals or anything like that. Using the process of elimination is key.

Comment

Two people have it.

Cres clearly does not.
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Originally posted by Ilya View Post
            this fucking riddle, i tell you what

Hank, I didn't know we were playing charades here.

Comment

Originally posted by phata$$ View Post
              It's actually a logical problem.

If anyone is very inclined to know the answer, click this.

I was never able to get it so I had to look up the answer to prevent this riddle from destroying my brain.
              That wikipedia article has a mistake. The last line should be "B must not be wearing a black hat".

And even with that in mind, the solution doesn't even completely work. If all three prisoners happen to pick a white hat, then no one can guess anything. Wiki's solution banks on the first line, "assuming __ is wearing a black hat". TECHNICALLY since everyone wears a white hat, the person who guesses "white hat" from the first scenario would still be right in this scenario, but in this scenario, no one can be SURE that he wears the white hat, so no guessing would be done. Every prisoner sees 2 white hats and no one can guess if he himself wears white or black.
              Originally posted by paradise!
              pretty sure the flu is just bacteria found everywhere, just during the winter our immune systems are at its lowest, thus the bacteria aren't exactly killed off.
              1:Reaver> HALP
              1:Reaver> HELELP
              1:Reaver> SAW CRANS MOM NAKED
              1:Reaver> HELP YOU DUMB FUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by Salubrious View Post
                That wikipedia article has a mistake. The last line should be "B must not be wearing a black hat".

And even with that in mind, the solution doesn't even completely work. If all three prisoners happen to pick a white hat, then no one can guess anything. Wiki's solution banks on the first line, "assuming __ is wearing a black hat". TECHNICALLY since everyone wears a white hat, the person who guesses "white hat" from the first scenario would still be right in this scenario, but in this scenario, no one can be SURE that he wears the white hat, so no guessing would be done. Every prisoner sees 2 white hats and no one can guess if he himself wears white or black.
                It's not a mistake. It brings in the assumption that if A had a black hat then those situations listed in bullet form would happen. But because those situations did not happen, A must not be wearing a black hat. In the wiki solution, all three prisoners have white hats because A has noticed that time has passed with B and C not making a move.

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage View Post
                  Three prisoners are sitting in jail over the winter holidays..
                  trick question there are no holidays in prison oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snipptiy snap

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                    I have one also.

Three guys decide to stay at a hotel while driving up to go camping somewhere, they pull in and go inside. The lady tells them the room is 30 dollars, so each person chips in 10 dollars for the room. Late that night the woman remembers there was a five dollar discount on the room and goes and gives each person 1 dollar back, and keeps two for herself because she couldn't split 5 dollars 3 ways evenly.

So if each person only paid 9 dollars after the 1 dollar discount, and the clerk kept two dollars, what happened to the last dollar?

9x3 = 27
                    + 2 = 29.
                    This is not a riddle, this actually happened. kthx and 2 other dudes "lodged" in a cheap hotel while driving across the border to a state where sodomy is still legal (fukin regulations) and they spent the whole night wondering if they had been jacked by a dollar even though she even came back and gave them each 1 more in return.

next riddle.

Comment

So gay!
                      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Tigron-X View Post
                        It's actually a simple riddle. Just put yourself in their shoes and play it out in your head. There are gestures (or reactions) made, but not hand signals or anything like that. Using the process of elimination is key.
                        Originally posted by Fit of Rage
                        The prisoners are not allowed to communicate. No hand gestures, no facial expressions, no talking.

Originally posted by Twerp
                        Do the prisoners tell the warden their hat color in the same room so they can overhear their guess?
                        What does it matter if they overhear? They already knew the real color. If they can see the other hats on the table, and know the distribution of color, then it's simple.

prisoner A is unblindfolded, and sees prisoner B and C, let's say, with a black hat and a white hat respectively. Prisoner A knows there are 3 black hats and 2 white hats, and sees just 2 black hats on the table from which the warden grabbed it off. Prisoner A thus knows that he has the other white hat.

Comment

Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                          What does it matter if they overhear? They already knew the real color. If they can see the other hats on the table, and know the distribution of color, then it's simple.

prisoner A is unblindfolded, and sees prisoner B and C, let's say, with a black hat and a white hat respectively. Prisoner A knows there are 3 black hats and 2 white hats, and sees just 2 black hats on the table from which the warden grabbed it off. Prisoner A thus knows that he has the other white hat.
                          They don't see the missing hats. They do see each other in order to determine what color hat the other 2 are wearing.

3 black & 2 white = total 5 hats

If you see 2 white, what will be your reaction?

If you see 2 black, what will be your reaction?

If you see 1 white & 1 black, what will be your reaction?

There are 5 hats and you can quickly eliminate it to 4 hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigron-X View Post
                            They don't see the missing hats. They do see each other in order to determine what color hat the other 2 are wearing.

3 black & 2 white = total 5 hats

If you see 2 white, what will be your reaction?

If you see 2 black, what will be your reaction?

If you see 1 white & 1 black, what will be your reaction?

There are 5 hats and you can quickly eliminate it to 4 hats.
                            So you're assuming they know the distribution of colors then? That wasn't mentioned in the op's caveat. If they know that, can see the others colors, and exclude all else (i.e. any form of communication), then they can know their color sometimes. I say exclude all else, because we assume they can't talk, show facial expressions, or use gestures of any kind. How else can they relay the information if COMMUNICATION isn't allowed? Anyways back to the original given info.

If he sees 2 black, he can conclude nothing

if he sees 1 black 1 white, he can conclude nothing

if he sees 2 white, he can conclude he is wearing a black hat

Comment

Originally posted by phata$$ View Post
                              It's not a mistake. It brings in the assumption that if A had a black hat then those situations listed in bullet form would happen. But because those situations did not happen, A must not be wearing a black hat. In the wiki solution, all three prisoners have white hats because A has noticed that time has passed with B and C not making a move.
                              oh
                              Originally posted by paradise!
                              pretty sure the flu is just bacteria found everywhere, just during the winter our immune systems are at its lowest, thus the bacteria aren't exactly killed off.
                              1:Reaver> HALP
                              1:Reaver> HELELP
                              1:Reaver> SAW CRANS MOM NAKED
                              1:Reaver> HELP YOU DUMB FUCKS

Comment

I guess I didn't specify, but no, after randomly selecting the hats to place on the prisoners heads, the warden discards the other two and the prisoners do not have that information.
                                5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                                5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                                5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Working...
                                X