Computer Information System (CIS) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Information System (CIS) ?

Just curious if anyone has done this before? I'm starting school full time soon and this will be my major. I was told there wasn't an inordinate amount of math involved, as I wasn't always the best at that to begin with. So I'm hoping I can do alright here.

But if anyone has done it, any advice or tips for me?

Thx
    RaCka> how can i get you here
    death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
    RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
    death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

There's a lot of different things CIS could mean. At its most basic level with a straight degree in CIS, you can be an IT tech. Which isn't a bad job, either, depending on where you get hired. If you want to be an IT tech, aim for jobs at large firms or grade schools (1-12)

Comment

good degree, just make sure you come out of it specializing in something. It's good to have a GENERAL degree in IT/information systems, but it's better to have an idea of what you're looking to do so you can focus while you're in school, plus that will make it easier to get a job. There's also lots of extra stuff you can do in the IT world (certifications, ect.) that you don't need school for too.
      Last edited by Veloce; 06-21-2011, 10:17 PM.
      2:Sauro> dp i placed 4th today at yugoh tournament
      Sauro> i traded e tele for 2 dark bribes and a primy today dp

2:Sauro> IM REARRAGNGING MYD ECK WTF
      Go go go!

Sauro> DARK MAGICIAN GIRL SHOWS CLEAVAGE OK
      Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here
      1:Sauro> yea dp

1:Sauro> i love dick

Comment

Originally posted by Veloce View Post
        good degree, just make sure you come out of it specializing in something. It's good to have a GENERAL degree in IT/information systems, but it's better to have an idea of what you're looking to do so you can focus while you're in school, plus that will make it easier to get a job. There's also lots of extra stuff you can do in the IT world (certifications, ect.) that you don't need school for too.
        Good stuff. Yeah currently I work at JP Morgan Chase. Hopefully I can stay there and of course do something in IT with that financial institution. Not sure what I'm going to specialize yet, they gave me a few options and I was mulling over what I would be specializing in. Any suggestions?

Thx
        RaCka> how can i get you here
        death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
        RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
        death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

hey drow, i was actually reading this thread in my last day of my CIS class that i'm taking over summer. i'm a comp sci major but this summer class counts for a credit i need, so i don't really know much about the CIS major. however i do know that the class i just finished bored the hell out of me. it was all about networking hardware and software, not my cup of tea.
          Gun remembers.

Comment

Originally posted by death row View Post
            Good stuff. Yeah currently I work at JP Morgan Chase. Hopefully I can stay there and of course do something in IT with that financial institution. Not sure what I'm going to specialize yet, they gave me a few options and I was mulling over what I would be specializing in. Any suggestions?

Thx
            Not real sure to be honest. I got a very broad degree in IT unfortunately and the kids I graduated with are doing all sorts of things. I know a few kids that do database work (managing them, querying/reporting, ect.), another does network design and management for a small company of around 50 people, and some are just straight programming. One of the more interesting classes we took had to do with network security and breach testing which is getting bigger right now (lot of money in it too). I'm sure there's many disciplines out there that I've left out but those are just a few of areas of IT I was exposed to...I'd keep asking around.
            2:Sauro> dp i placed 4th today at yugoh tournament
            Sauro> i traded e tele for 2 dark bribes and a primy today dp

2:Sauro> IM REARRAGNGING MYD ECK WTF
            Go go go!

Sauro> DARK MAGICIAN GIRL SHOWS CLEAVAGE OK
            Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here
            1:Sauro> yea dp

1:Sauro> i love dick

Comment

IMO go for something related to security or encryption. Hackers are only going to get more high-tech, so there's always going to be money invested in network security (especially for financial institutions).
              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Agree with fit. I took a bunch of CIS classes as an IT person (really IT is a combination of CIS, computer science, and bullshit), and it's definitely a good major if you enjoy being employed after school. If Management Information Systems (MIS) courses are available, take some of those too.
                TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                TelCat> i dont

Comment

Working...
                X