Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBL on PC? Side topic: Windows 8

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388020,00.asp

Does "Games for Windows" ring any bells? Probably not. It's not a very well known service. I am a PC gamer, I've heard of it but I've never used it. I also own an Xbox360.

Being torn between these two devices has been really difficult. All of my real life friends play on the Xbox, meanwhile all my e-friends play on the PC (hi guys). I'm also just better at games with a mouse and keyboard.

But I just recently heard of Games for Windows MERGING with Xbox 360. The merge is already complete. I am a bit confused though. I keep reading through a bunch of articles and I here the notorious hints of being able to play XBOX games with people on XBOX with my PC using Games for Windows. But it's questionable. Can I just communicate with my friends? Am I allowed to actually play games like Call of Duty or Battlefield etc. with my XBL friends?

Observe:
    "All of the same content from GamesForWindows.com will be available on Xbox.com so members of communities across Xbox 360 and Games for Windows can purchase and get details on their favorite games, all in one place," a MIcrosoft spokesperson told Eurogamer. The spokesperson added that account information will remain unchanged when the transition is made July 11.
    -game informer
    "Members of our passionate communities across Xbox 360 and Games for Windows can now purchase and get details on their favorite games, all in one place," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "All user account information will remain the same and community members can still take advantage of their Xbox LIVE profile in their Windows games and stay connected to friends who are playing on the PC."
    -pc magazine
    "share information," "stay connected" - connected in a sense of being on the XBL network while in the same matches? This is going to be a slaughterfest if it's true. Time to finally pwn some xbox hotshots (and finally get 2nd prestige)!

Oh... damnit.
    According to our sources, Xbox 360 on PC will have a subscription fee (just like Xbox LIVE). However, when it comes to online gaming, it will use Windows Live Marketplace and as a result, PC owners will not be able to compete against console owners (at least in initial stage), due to plausible frustrations (mouse vs. controller).
    -liveside
    "will not be able to compete against console owners (at least in initial stage)"

Hurry the fuck up!

windows 8 stuff: http://www.liveside.net/2011/07/18/g...tion-and-more/

During E3, Mike Delman, Vice President of Global Marketing at Interactive Entertainment Business, revealed that Xbox LIVE is coming to the Windows platform, being the entertainment and gaming service for Windows 8.
    Hmmm...

I also heard rumors a couple weeks ago about Windows 8 being completely based on gaming. Imagine booting up your PC and going through a Xbox-esque menu? I forgot where I read this, so I can't give any sources on that..

All in all, it's pretty interesting.

most of the early windows 8 leak type stuff i've seen has focused heavily on the touch interface. this could be pretty neat, though.
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

The xbox interface needs redesigning. I would not want my PC to look like that.

And I would gladly use a mouse instead of a touch screen. The ease of use is much greater. To have the screen at an appropriate distance and angle would require larger arm movements than a simple mouse shift.

Comment

Working...
      X