Plane crash in Russia kills whole KHL team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane crash in Russia kills whole KHL team

A plane crash near the city of Yaroslavl in Central Russia has claimed the lives of at least 36 people. Some reports have the death total at 42. The majority of victims are believed to be members of the Kontinental Hockey League club, Lokomotiv.

The crash occurred at 12 noon Moscow time.

Eight crew members are also among the dead, according to reports. According to Russian aviation officials, two passengers survived the crash, but are in critical condition.

According to Sov Sport, Locomotiv has confirmed that the entire main roster, plus four players from the youth team, were on the plane.

The Locomotiv roster was full of players with NHL ties.

The team's head coach, Brad McCrimmon, played in the NHL and most recently served as an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings before taking the Yaroslavl job in May. Defenseman Karel Rachunek, Ruslan Salei and Karlis Skrastins, as well as forwards Pavol Demitra and Josef Vasicek all spent a good deal of time in the NHL. Forward Alexander Vasyunov played a handful of games with the New Jersey Devils last season.

According to the reports on the crash, the plane, a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger jet, went down and caught fire shortly immediately after taking to the air, crashing less than 2 kilometers from the airport.

It was en route to Minsk, Belarus for a Thursday night game against Dynamo Minsk.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the crashed immediately after taking off from an airport near the city on the Volga River, which is approximately 150 miles northeast of Moscow.

The KHL season opened Wednesday wiuth a game between Ufa and Atlant, but that game was suspended as soon as news of the tragedy broke.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792&navid=DL|NHL|home
    this is so sad news

R.I.P
    (Dutch Baser)>i would have voted mccain cuz he is white

8:Hercules> whats a normal day for a finn consist of ?
    8:Singularity> alcohol and masturbation

Daldur> if u add me 6th obviously u dont want me

BasingCrew

Definitely sad ...

All the reports are confusing on how many people actually perished. A few 'lucky' souls made it though..

31 year old Russian plane that was made during the last years of the Soviet Union. That's scary. They've had like 4 or 5 of these things go down this year I do believe.
    Fuck it.

Comment

we wont see hockey in yaroslavl this season :<
      saddened

Comment

Originally posted by vaped View Post
        They've had like 4 or 5 of these things go down this year I do believe.
        No. Eight over the past 30 years. This one was sold by the previous airline because it was too expensive to maintain and was no longer certified to fly to the EU.

Apparently Russian charter airliners are not sufficiently stringent with their safety requirements - who knew...
        TWLD CHAMP x1 Fierce (Benched 100%)
        WORKOUT TITLES:

BENCH MAX: I don't sit on benches; I can't get back up
        CURL MAX: An entire ham
        SQUAT MAX: 566lbs
        DEADLIFT MAX: 566lbs
        WEIGHT: 566lbs HEIGHT: 5'1" (Medically impossible, according to Discovery Channel)
        BODYFAT:97%
        TIME SINCE FIRST WORKOUT EVER: Whatout?

Comment

Dont forget Stefan Liv. Swedish champion like 4 times, won the olympics and the WC as well. RIP
          Originally posted by Tyson
          There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
          Originally posted by HeavenSent
          Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
          Originally posted by Izor
          Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Working...
          X