Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP DJ SCREW

Comment

@money i'm sure if dj screw was around now, he'd be using a more advanced version of his deck, I can do that on our new Traktor s4, add more effects and loops and equalize the levels of 2 songs. Also programs will make me able to link the BPMs, all he's doing in that video really is equalizing base and switching from 1 channel (song) to the (next) still he's pretty good at remembering what parts of the songs he wants to go back and forth to.

Comment

yea he died in 1998 so he had old stuff

Comment

best song evrr

Comment

Latest Mixes and Being Uber Busy

Yo homies,

My bad I haven't been on much, real life caught up, school, full time job, DJ business (We just started more heavily producing and developing the business).

We actually have a show at Detour Bar on Baldwin in Kensington Market from 10-1130 for any of you Torontonians.

Here's the latest 2 mixes to listen to while owning the noopies in ss.

Mash-Up Mix

Take Her Easy Mix (And if she's that ez take her best friend too)

Again here is the website:
            http://djktron.com/

Twitter: @KTRONMusic

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ktron/212056115575112

Much love,

Harder

Comment

You're a glorified button pusher dude.

We all hit play. It’s no secret. When it comes to “live” performance of electronic dance music — that’s about the most it seems you can do anyway. It’s not about performance art, it’s not about talent either (really it’s not). In fact, let me do you and the rest of the EDM world button pushers who hate me for telling you how it is, a favour and let you all know how it is.

As much as we’d like to think that the DJs and electronic musicians of the world get on stage and make crazy dance music on the fly — the truth is that most of the time they’re just pushing play. Just ask Deadmau5, one of the most popular electronic musicians in the world.

I think given about one hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of Ableton and music tech in general could DO what I’m doing at a Deadmau5 concert. Just like I think ANY DJ in the WORLD who can match a beat can do what “ANYONE else” (not going to mention any names) is doing on their EDM stages, too. Have a look, then let me explain:

OK, so here’s me, in a big silly mousehead… twiddlin’ a knob or something. OK so here’s how it works: somewhere in that mess is a computer, running Ableton Live… and it’s spewing out premixed (to a degree) stems of my original productions, and then a SMPTE feed to front of house (so tell the light/video systems) where I’m at in the performance… so that all the visuals line up nicely and all the light cues are on and stuff. Now, while thats all going on, theres a good chunk of MIDI data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are/were used in the actual production… which I can tweak *live* and what not… but doesn’t give me alot of “lookit me I’m Jimi Hendrix check out this solo” stuff, because I’m constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE. It’s a super redundant system, and more importantly it’s reliable as F**K! And obviously, I’ve done the show a couple of hundred times easily by now, so the focus over the past few runs with the “cube show” has been more revolved around adding new audio/visual content to keep it current.

So that’s my “live” show, and that’s as “live” as I can comfortably get it (for now anyway). Of course, it’ll evolve and change up, but I’m sure a few key principles will always remain the same.

I’m just so sick of hearing the “NO!!! I’M NOT JUST DOING THIS, I HAVE SIX TABLES UP THERE AND I DO THIS THIS AND THIS.” I don’t have any shame in admitting that for “unhooked” sets I just roll up with a laptop and a MIDI controller and “select” tracks and hit a spacebar. Ableton syncs the shit up for me… so no beatmatching skill required. “beatmatching” isn’t even a skill as far as I’m concered anyway. So what, you can count to four. Cool. I had that skill down when I was three, so don’t give me that argument please.

My “skills” and other PRODUCER’S skills shine where it needs to shine: in the goddamned studio and on the releases. That’s what counts… because this whole big “EDM” is taking over fad, I’m not going to let it go thinking that people assume there’s a guy on a laptop up there producing new original tracks on the fly. Because none of the “top DJs in the world” to my knowledge have. Myself included.

You know what makes the EDM show the crazy amazing show that it is? You guys do. The fans, the people who came to appreciate the music, the lights, all the other people who came, we just facilitate the means and the pretty lights and the draw of more awesome people like you by our studio productions, which is exactly what it is. But to stand up and say you’re doing something special outside of a studio environment when you’re not just annoys me.
              TWLJ Season 13 Runner Up (Boss)
              TWLJ Season 15 Hit Allstar
              TWDT-J 2012 Champ

TWDT-D 2014 Champ

Comment

the kid goes hard...
                4:BigKing> xD
                4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                4:BigKing> what did i do???
                4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                4:BigKing> ???? why though
                4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                4:BigKing> xD

Comment

Originally posted by Slum View Post
                  You're a glorified button pusher dude.

We all hit play. It’s no secret. When it comes to “live” performance of electronic dance music — that’s about the most it seems you can do anyway. It’s not about performance art, it’s not about talent either (really it’s not). In fact, let me do you and the rest of the EDM world button pushers who hate me for telling you how it is, a favour and let you all know how it is.

DJing is more than hitting play it's about mixing live, properly no fuck ups, the right flow, the right time, the right music for the right crowd. KTRON uses a Traktor s4 during live sets, that's the same shit Porter Robinson uses.

As much as we’d like to think that the DJs and electronic musicians of the world get on stage and make crazy dance music on the fly — the truth is that most of the time they’re just pushing play. Just ask Deadmau5, one of the most popular electronic musicians in the world.

Some DJs have shit sets, lmao production and DJing are 2 different things but if you can master both and people enjoy it and the word gets out it's awesome.

I think given about one hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of Ableton and music tech in general could DO what I’m doing at a Deadmau5 concert. Just like I think ANY DJ in the WORLD who can match a beat can do what “ANYONE else” (not going to mention any names) is doing on their EDM stages, too. Have a look, then let me explain:

Ableton, FL, Protools, whatever you use is used to PRODUCE not to DJ, most DJ's use Virtual, Traktor (my fav) or serato

OK, so here’s me, in a big silly mousehead… twiddlin’ a knob or something. OK so here’s how it works: somewhere in that mess is a computer, running Ableton Live… and it’s spewing out premixed (to a degree) stems of my original productions, and then a SMPTE feed to front of house (so tell the light/video systems) where I’m at in the performance… so that all the visuals line up nicely and all the light cues are on and stuff. Now, while thats all going on, theres a good chunk of MIDI data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are/were used in the actual production… which I can tweak *live* and what not… but doesn’t give me alot of “lookit me I’m Jimi Hendrix check out this solo” stuff, because I’m constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE. It’s a super redundant system, and more importantly it’s reliable as F**K! And obviously, I’ve done the show a couple of hundred times easily by now, so the focus over the past few runs with the “cube show” has been more revolved around adding new audio/visual content to keep it current.
                  I was just at digital dreams in Toronto, you are correct about this part, it is hard work to produce the music and the technology has made DJing and producing much easier. But the beauty of it is that it creates a new sound and new channels of music and creativity to explore.

So that’s my “live” show, and that’s as “live” as I can comfortably get it (for now anyway). Of course, it’ll evolve and change up, but I’m sure a few key principles will always remain the same.

I’m just so sick of hearing the “NO!!! I’M NOT JUST DOING THIS, I HAVE SIX TABLES UP THERE AND I DO THIS THIS AND THIS.” I don’t have any shame in admitting that for “unhooked” sets I just roll up with a laptop and a MIDI controller and “select” tracks and hit a spacebar. Ableton syncs the shit up for me… so no beatmatching skill required. “beatmatching” isn’t even a skill as far as I’m concered anyway. So what, you can count to four. Cool. I had that skill down when I was three, so don’t give me that argument please.
                  Yes most dj's know about the magical sync button

My “skills” and other PRODUCER’S skills shine where it needs to shine: in the goddamned studio and on the releases. That’s what counts… because this whole big “EDM” is taking over fad, I’m not going to let it go thinking that people assume there’s a guy on a laptop up there producing new original tracks on the fly. Because none of the “top DJs in the world” to my knowledge have. Myself included. We're working on an album right now, it just takes time. It's not about spewing crap, it's about putting the hours in.

You know what makes the EDM show the crazy amazing show that it is? You guys do. The fans, the people who came to appreciate the music, the lights, all the other people who came, we just facilitate the means and the pretty lights and the draw of more awesome people like you by our studio productions, which is exactly what it is. But to stand up and say you’re doing something special outside of a studio environment when you’re not just annoys me.
                  ^ Aymen that that

<3 From Harder.

Comment

DJKTRON Soundcloud is up + latest mix

http://soundcloud.com/ktronmusic

http://www.mixcloud.com/ktruong2/sensation-frosh-mix/

Hey just started the soundcloud up. Now you can download the mixes if you like them, it's pretty good for ss-in with, hittin the gymbo, the cottage, pre-drank or whatever

pretty big show at Tatoo Rock Parlour Thursday, August 9th, in Toronto if anyone wants to reach.

Why is TWL so far away T.T

Hope everyone's good much love Harder

Comment

Working...
                    X