Dear Ephemeral or anyone else who probably has an IRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Ephemeral or anyone else who probably has an IRA

Is there realistically any reason why I would choose to do a Roth IRA over a traditional IRA?

Example: Say I had 5000 to invest. My marginal tax rate is 25%.

If I did a traditional, I defer the taxes and invest the full 5000. At a 7% return, I would have 74872 after 40 years. In retirement I'll probably be married (which will adjust my marginal tax rate to 15%). That would mean that my net on that investment if I start withdrawing in retirement is 63641.

If I did a Roth, I would pay my taxes up front, (1250 on 5000) and leave 3750 to invest. The same math over 40 years yields 56154.

In what world would I choose to do a Roth IRA over a traditional IRA? The reason I ask is that I have T Rowe Price and other investment calculators recommending me Roth IRAs.
    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

I think they only make sense for those with special distribution needs. High end income, later in life, and wanting certain ways to control the disposition the funds.
    eph
    Last edited by Ephemeral; 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I do a traditional 401k and a Roth IRA just in order to diversify my risk. Plus, my tax rate later might be higher due to the fact my future husband and I will be making bank.
      Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
      1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
      1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
      1:Chao <ER>> at all
      1:Mantra-Slider> chao
      1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
      Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
      Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

My only argument against that is that I think each of you can only invest 5k annually into an IRA (so 10k combined) and then each of your 401ks has a 16k limit annually. If you and future husband are indeed making bank, how much you put away now will probably not affect you quite as much (since most of the worries of middle aged people have to do with sending their kids to college while trying to pay off their mortgages and save for retirement.
        5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
        5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
        5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Maybe you should of put Ilya's name in the title, you chased him away from the forums by not thinking of him.
          sigpic
          All good things must come to an end.

Comment

i throw money in a shoe box and hope it works out

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage View Post
              My only argument against that is that I think each of you can only invest 5k annually into an IRA (so 10k combined) and then each of your 401ks has a 16k limit annually. If you and future husband are indeed making bank, how much you put away now will probably not affect you quite as much (since most of the worries of middle aged people have to do with sending their kids to college while trying to pay off their mortgages and save for retirement.
              Fair point, but I don't think it'll matter too much in the long run since I won't even be eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA within the next 5 years, and I'm already ineligible for tax deductions for a traditional IRA. I guess I like the Roth because there are fewer restrictions on distributions.
              Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
              1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
              1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
              1:Chao <ER>> at all
              1:Mantra-Slider> chao
              1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
              Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
              Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

i just stash my money in my mattress.
                Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Hi Zeebu!
                  JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                  the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

hello, paul

Comment

No one ever says hello to me
                      sigpic

Comment

So I pick the world up and drop it on its fuckin head!
                        sigpic

Comment

the world doesnt have a head the world is a head (and people live inside it DARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

(hi gran)

Comment

See I only get Hi's never a fucking Hello. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRR
                            sigpic

Comment

(Hi Zeebu)
                              Last edited by gran guerrero; 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X