Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I'm not a big rap fan but question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm not a big rap fan but question....

I was listening to this song "Shake Ya Tail Feather" that i recently dled (i really dl everything, i just love music). It's with Nelly with Bad Boyz... now I'm not very learned in the rap industry production lables so I was hoping maybe some of you are a little more than me, but is that owned by P.Diddy? Who else is part of that record company?

Another question, did Nelly just join Bad Boyz? If so that's a huge mogul for them, he seems to bring millions of dollars wherever he goes. This might be a big breakthrough for Bad Boyz.

Now teach me something you rap fans!

Bay Boy Records as far as I know was/is run by Sean "puffy" Combs. Some other artists that were on the or are stil on the Bad Boys LAbel Are: Notorious B.I.G., 112, Ma$e, Na$ (used to be), Black Rob, The Lox (i dunno what he's up to) and there were some more, oh that new band the ones that sang Bump Bump Bump B2K. And P. Diddy has also launnched help launch numerous careers and crap like 3lw and many other i can't bear to name because i'm drunk and it's late.

And Nelly runs Derrty Entertainmnet which is an offspring of Universal Records if i'm not mistaken and the reason they collaborated is P. Diidy produced most of the Bad Boys 2 soundtrack (with Mary J. Blige i think).

And that's my shit for now Talk to me later when it's not late.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Paul, weither you love music or not, dont sully yourself with that stuff man .... try searching 'Anticon' in kaz, or soulsearch or whatever u dl with.
      Also, 'Sole - Bottle of Humans'
      'Latyrx - Balcony Beach'
      uhm......
      anything by DJ Shadow, I'd certainly suggest 'Fixed Income' and 'Midnight in a Perfect World'
      Classy tracks.
      I'm a rocker. I rock out.

Comment

And that would sound like "crap" to some1 else, I don't believe in any music sounding bad, because really it's personal opinion. I WILL however make fun of music if it's listened to by a certain crowd of people and what not, but that doesn't take away from most music being artistic, even that poppy macro crowd pleasing schlock that's written by music writers and sung by divas.

Why do I like trance best? I think sometimes feelings and emotions are best expressed without words. REALY trance is made by artists that put time into it, not that anthem trance shit that people listen to with XTC and believe they're flying. That's the same way I feel about classical, sure there might be a stereotype about the people that listen to those two genres, but it's art non the less and you can't take that away from them.

I believe that many types of Rap is art too. Yes some of it is the same old stuff, kill whitey, fuck the police, I like asses etc etc. but there are actual rap songs that time is put into. The lyrics can convey a powerful message, whether it's good or not, they get their point across more so than any type of genre.

I'd go on for about 10 more hours, but I won't, I'll leave that for a seperate thread.

Comment

There's lots of good rap that's not the gangster shit.. I've been d/ling whopping assloads of hip hop lately and I REALLY like about 10 out of the last 50 or so cd's I've d/led, but lots of them have some good songs here and there.

Hip hop gets a bad name because so much of it is image, a lot of the good, more "real" stuff gets lost.

There's definitely an art to it, but a lot of people get famous with weak rhymes and cool beats that somebody else made.
          http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

I really really don't think nas was ever on bad boy records.
            Columbia records.
            Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
              There's lots of good rap that's not the gangster shit.. I've been d/ling whopping assloads of hip hop lately and I REALLY like about 10 out of the last 50 or so cd's I've d/led, but lots of them have some good songs here and there.

Hip hop gets a bad name because so much of it is image, a lot of the good, more "real" stuff gets lost.

There's definitely an art to it, but a lot of people get famous with weak rhymes and cool beats that somebody else made.
              this is where you name some artists and get us all started...

Comment

Originally posted by King Missile
                this is where you name some artists and get us all started...
                Well, I'm not sure what you like.. personally, I get turned off pretty quick if they start talking about cappin people with their gats.. it just sounds unoriginal and cheesey to me, so that limits my choices a lot.

Sage Francis- I just discovered Personal Journalist a couple weeks ago and I love it. he's a crazy white guy with some issues. He's basically a poet and a spoken-word performer that also puts his work to beats.

Deltron aka Del the funky homosapien - By far his best album is Deltron 3030, produced by Dan the Automator (also produced: gorillaz, Dr. Octagonecologist and some other stuff you may or may not have heard of, D/L "Wanna buy a monkey?" for a good sampling)

Blackalicious - These guys are super laid back, sometimes lyrically complex, they're all upbeat and positive about life, something kinda different for hip hop. NIA is their best album in my opinion.

haiku d'etat - I don't know anything about these guys, I think they're solo guys that came together to make just one album, but it's really good.. also leans towards the positive 'uplifting' lyrics.

Aesop Rock - either you like him or you hate him. his voice is somewhat deep and sounds like he chews on charcoal. his lyrics are completely disjointed and abstract. Float is the album to get.

El-P - This guy is supposedly white, but he sounds black to me. He's got kind of a dark angry sound, also somewhat abstract, I love his beats. I think Fantastic Damage is his only solo album.. he's also on something called Funcrusher Plus, which I'm about to listen to for the first time right now, and I know nothing about it.

That's some of what I like anyway.. maybe you will and maybe you wont.
                http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

i just have 1 song from blackalicious from your list...

i am definently gonna download some songs from those artists, sounds interesting...

maybe you should try the site: www.allmusic.com it's very usefull for finding similar artists, artist descriptions, best songs, collaborations and lots more... (i use it a lot myself)

edit: cant find anything from this haiky d'etat

edit2: some cool stuff and some not so cool stuff... downloaded some stuff of most of them
                  Last edited by King Missile; 09-03-2003, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I use allmusic.com a lot.

it's haiku.. not haiky try it with and without the apostrophe when you're searching, not sure which will work... haiku d'etat

Comment

Also, not sure what you're using to d/l music, but soulseek is definitely the best thing I've used. It's super easy to get whole albums and keep them organized, instead of searching for tracks and d/ling them all into a big mess of a folder like I used to with kazaa.

Comment

"haiky" was a typo... sry for that...

del tha funkee homosapiens is still the best so far....

*off to download soulsearch*

edit: how is soulsearch with spywear etc?
                        Last edited by King Missile; 09-03-2003, 02:54 PM.

Comment

it's soulseek, and I'm pretty sure there's no spywear or anything..I've definitely had less problems since I ditched kazaa and started using soulseek

Comment

sometimes i get the feeling i have a reading disorder

Comment

Originally posted by Adman
                              Bay Boy Records as far as I know was/is run by Sean "puffy" Combs. Some other artists that were on the or are stil on the Bad Boys LAbel Are: Notorious B.I.G., 112, Ma$e, Na$ (used to be), Black Rob, The Lox (i dunno what he's up to)
                              Adman is spreading lies to the ppl~~! Puffy, owns Bad Boy, 112 is on 2 labels at once, Ma$e is a preacher now, Na$ was NEVER on bad boy, The lox is a group (styles p., jadakiss, sheek)
                              Sunshine...

Comment

Working...
                              X