Favorite Classical Music Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Classical Music Piece

I have been listening to a lot of Beethoven lately, mostly Beethoven actually, I need to get weened off it.

Of his symphonies, I recently bought all 9 symphonies for about 10 bucks at Sam Goody. And the 1st movement of his 5th really moves me, whereas I love the whole 6th symphony, and 9th.

I've also got all 5 of his Piano Concertos, 3-5 are just absolutly amazing, I haven't really listened to the first two yet. With the 5 concertos came a Triple Concerto with cello, violin, and piano. And that's simply amazing.

If you're interested in this 3 CD box set here's a URL http://www.bmgmusic.com/catalog/prod...roductId=39297

Of course I love all his piano sonatas.

Pachelbel is also one of my favorite composers.

More modernly, Joaquin Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez is a masterpiece. It's a classical guitar concerto, the 2nd movement of which is the most famous, being a very emotionally-provoking piece. If you've never really heard the classical guitar, this is a piece you should certainly look into. Also anything by Andres Segovia, a famous classical guitar virtuoso. Christopher Parkening (one of Segovia's apprentices) has done a compilation titled "A Tribute to Segovia" which, well the title explains it.

If you play any style of guitar, classical guitar method opens a whole new outlook on the guitar.

If you haven't gotten into classical music yet, you should....you really should.
    Ну вот...

Hmm, I'd have to say Rachmaninov is my all-time favorite composer... ( aside from Bach, of course! )... I can't pick a favorite composition because they are all brilliant.

As for modern classical, one of my personal favorite compositions is The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan Williams. If you're just getting into classical, that would be a good piece to start out with.
    Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

But Wagner is awesome to listen to in a concert hall. The appreciation of acoustics totally blows my mind.

Comment

I prefer semi-modern (last 100 years or so) "classical" composers. Spend four years of your life recording endless renditions of all true classical composers, and you'll be the same.

My favorite is Messiaen, specifically Quatuor Pour la Fin du Temps. At the risk of sounding entirely too music-nerd, Messiaen is one of the kings of the use of dissonant chording and space to create a real sense of emotion.

Although it doesn't really fall under "classical" composers, Django Reinhardt is definitely another that I listen to. He's a true pioneer for both jazz and the guitar as an instrument.
        Last edited by ConcreteSchlyrd; 09-11-2003, 12:23 AM.
        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

My grandmother is a pianist, she always played Chopin, so I guess i'm a little bit into that.
          TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
          TelCat> hoes get paid :(
          TelCat> i dont

Comment

I actually like Chopin that much I started learning the Minute Walz on the piano
            6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
            3 league vet

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
              At the risk of sounding entirely too music-nerd, Messiaen is one of the kings of the use of dissonant chording and space to create a real sense of emotion.
              You are such a music-nerd. And Django Reinhardt is such a wicked guitar player. And Liszt is such a leetster. And I am such a poser.

Comment

We'll just call this classical/symphonic thread then:P

Did you know that back before Baroque period, when the church really had the biggest influence on music in Europe, they believed that the a Perfect 5th interval was of the devil? The tone you get with it really freaked them out...
                Ну вот...

Comment

A tritone you mean? Hehe, my friends and I sometimes sing songs like Oh Canada and The Star Spangled Banned in 3 part tritone intervals... it's pretty fucking cool and I highly recommend it if you can dig the dissonance. On a practical level, it's good for the ears.... damaging to the mind, but good for the ears....

Comment

Originally posted by ÆNIMA
                    We'll just call this classical/symphonic thread then:P

Did you know that back before Baroque period, when the church really had the biggest influence on music in Europe, they believed that the a Perfect 5th interval was of the devil? The tone you get with it really freaked them out...
                    A perfect fifth is a "Power chord" in guitar, i.e. neither Major or Minor as the third is taken out. You mean a diminished fifth which has a fifth 1 semitone lower. But yes that was evil stuff back in the day.

Comment

I'm just going on what a music appreciation teacher told me, listening to P5 it sounds plausable, and I'm assuming that a semitone is a half-step? if so...then ya, uh huh, right..

i wish i had more to say to this...but i don't:\ i'm waiting for Mozart's Requiem, I just ordered it off BMG, go me!
                      Ну вот...

Comment

Danse Macabre .... you should see this acted out, it's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Material Girl
                          Hmm, I'd have to say Rachmaninov is my all-time favorite composer... ( aside from Bach, of course! )... I can't pick a favorite composition because they are all brilliant.
                          The Rach 2 (Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto) is good but it got hijacked by Celine Dion...

The Rach 3 is pretty damn brilliant... having played it in an arrangement with my friend (damn fucking brilliant pianst) I can pretty much agree to the fact that it must be the hardest (and famous enough so that people have actually heard of it) piano piece in existance.. just amazing. Then again Rachmaninov had huge hands, sorta helps him play the piano good

Gershwin rocks too!

-Epi
                          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                          www.animeslice.com

Comment

sonata #3 in d minor for solo violin by ysaye

the recording by leila josefowicz is the best in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine
                              it got hijacked by Celine Dion...
                              ..... but I guess musical plagerism is in the eye of the beholder. Think about all the rip offs of Miles Davis over the years.... even Erykah Badu blatently stole "so what", she didn't even credit it on her album, everybody knows, and yet nobody says anything. I guess that's why they call it an industry....

Comment

Working...
                              X