No announcement yet.

Envirnmental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i live in so cal and theres sposed to be one here by 2010. a really big expensive one that can make enough for 10,000 households a day which might or might not be good news
    Originally posted by Yoshiba
    i lag when i smoke weed

Comment

There's something that I don't entirely understand.

With many nuclear power plants, they use steam to run the turbines. I don't think the steam comes in contact with any radioactive material because it's all cooled down by a lake.

So my question is why not use that steam for potable water? They would just intake the water from the ocean and dispose of the salt, which they could probabl sell. The more I think about it, the more problems I see, but they can all be overcome.
      Ну вот...

Comment

Wouldn't they already be reusing the same water?

Comment

what do you mean?

to clarify, they would draw the water from the ocean, heat it up, producing steam to run the turbines which run the generators

then that steam (clean water) is cooled down in a resevoir, probably get treated for whatever reason, then distributed to homes

the salt gained from it could probably be sold...or maybe that's the main problem, is the salt, when it gets seperated from the water could cause problems, and that's where i see the main flaw
          Ну вот...

Comment

did you know that the amazon forest provides approximately half of the world's oxygen? and yet we continue to cut away at it like it aint no thang. Global warming is a issue to look out for in a few decades... but a few decades is a longggg ass time.

btw you spelled environmental wrong
            TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
            TelCat> hoes get paid :(
            TelCat> i dont

Comment

I was just wondering if the plants already condensed the steam and reused the water themselves.

Comment

Washing dishes is better, with qualifications.

It takes water and energy to make paper plates. Even worse, the manufacturing of white paper plates puts all kinds of nasty things into the environment, like dioxins in the bleaching process. Then you throw the paper plates into the landfill (or worse, burn it).

Washing a dish could also be harmful if you simply throw it into the dishwasher (energy and detergents). It is possible to hand wash a dish without using detergents.

I would say that the the most environmental approach, eat over the sink without a plate.

Comment

Wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly to eat over a big box of compost, instead of a sink?

Of course, your appetite might not be the same

Comment

Originally posted by ÆNIMA
                    There's something that I don't entirely understand.

With many nuclear power plants, they use steam to run the turbines. I don't think the steam comes in contact with any radioactive material because it's all cooled down by a lake.

So my question is why not use that steam for potable water? They would just intake the water from the ocean and dispose of the salt, which they could probabl sell. The more I think about it, the more problems I see, but they can all be overcome.
                    way too many problems with this,
                    you would have build up of all kind of junk, way to expensive to keep this up, you would have to be potentially be exposing nuclear waste to huge amounts of water, public is afraid of nuclear energy, and etc. etc. i could go on for an hour.

Basically this is a very idealist thought, but realism is where we live.
                    To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                    brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

Working...
                    X