No announcement yet.

"The Video Games are the Root of All Society's Problems"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some experts criticize the suspension of disbelief as one of the most dangerous aspects of video games, because an immersion into an imaginary world, if that world is more satisfying than the real world, leads to addiction. This criticism is irrelevant – calling how the children behave towards video games “addiction” is a pathos appeal. Children are “addicted” to video games in the same way they are addicted to entertaining themselves. Video games are “games” because they are fun. Multiplayer video games are believed to be highly addictive by some experts, more so than television and movies, or any other forms of media (Anderson and Dill 787). However, other experts argue that deriving enjoyment from the social interactions in internet or multiplayer games is just as healthy as interactions in real life: “… gaming sessions indicate the need for strong social togetherness, and thus, are often venues for the strongest experiences” (Manninen 8). Instead of merely interacting with objects on a screen, players begin to believe there is really a place in which they are playing, and treat it as a real world. I believe this is an over exaggeration of the impact of video games. There is just as much realism to video games as there is in television sitcoms, where impossibly good looking people have adventures every week that millions watch. These television shows may encourage behaviors that are not ideal for society, but the freedom of expression protects the right to have an entertaining television show, even if it isn’t educational.
    Violent video game manufacturers are protected by their right to freedom of speech and expression, and have a right to continue producing violent video games. Video games come with parental warnings and ratings, much like movies. When I purchased a particularly violent video game in 2002, I was carded – asked to prove that I was 18 years-old and could buy the game. These games should not be able to reach children, then, without the consent and aid of their parents. Some games, such as “America’s Army,” come with parental controls so that adult game players can prevent their children from accessing the same games. It is possible that “[…] parents lack information about their children’s exposure to interactive violence” (Funk) but the game manufacturers cannot do more than provide parental warnings and controls, and are not required to cease exercising their freedom of expression.
    In the future, violent video games will be even more realistic, eventually reaching the point at which they look like real life. In 2001, the movie “Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within” was released based on the “Final Fantasy” series of video games. In the movie, every scene and character is entirely computer generated, but almost perfectly life-like (Fletcher, Sakaguchi, and Sakakibara). As the technological abilities of graphics cards and computers exponentially increase every year, eventually these graphics will be possible in video games. At the point at which video games can perfectly emulate reality, violent video games will not be restricted, but will rather naturally phase out of popularity. When a child can play a video game that puts him or her in a perfectly life-like situation, he or she will not want that situation to be a violent one. Some may seek the fantasy violence that is forbidden in every day life, but others will want to act out their fantasies – becoming an astronaut and sailing to the moon, flying through clouds, or becoming sports stars. Violence in video games is fun to so many because it is not completely realistic. The delinquent youths who shot and killed their teachers and classmates, in the school shootings in the United States and abroad, were not the average consumers of video games – “normal” people, especially children, do not kill each other. They, quite obviously, had other very strong issues that drove them to commit their acts of violence. If their acts were caused by wanting to enjoy the same sensations they got by playing their video games, they would not have taken their own lives at the conclusion of their rampages. Real violence is frightening, and I have faith that the average child would not want to be in a realistic violent situation.
    In conclusion, violent video games are a healthy and natural part of a child’s life, as much so as playing “cops and robbers” or tag with other children. In fact, violent video games can teach life lessons that are important in the dangerous modern world. Parents need not worry about their children becoming more violent, and politicians should not further restrict or ban violent games. Violent video games do not increase aggressiveness; rather, children with high aggression are drawn to violent video games in the same way that more aggressive children play games that involve pretending to be soldiers, or cowboys. Any violent visual experiences a child could have through video games are just as easily obtained by watching the news, which is far more realistic and violent – there is nothing more realistic than reality. Children know the difference between real violence and imaginary violence; because most children have a firm sense of what is right and wrong from an age as early as three, before the being playing violent video games. While violent video games may show children how to effectively use violence if they were predisposed to be violent, children could just as easily pick up a gun magazine, or search the internet for how to fire a weapon or kill a person. The desensitization caused by playing violent video games is an important life lesson that protects the emotions of children from the very violent real life situations which they may encounter in real life or in the news. Desensitization is not inherently bad; it is simply a lowered emotional responsiveness to a stimulus that could otherwise be harmfully shocking. Some violent video games also provide important skills in working with a team, and communicating effectively. These games provide children with important skills needed in the business world. While their ultimate objective may be violent, the working towards that objective is an exercise in problem solving. Games are also important entertainment for children, and even provide social interactions when played with other children over the internet. Violent video games should not be restricted, because game manufacturers already provide parental warnings and controls, as well as a rating system. The manufacturers are protected by their freedom of expression in the same way that the film industry is. However, violent video games will naturally phase out of popularity as time goes on and they become more frighteningly realistic. Games are meant to be an escape from reality, and, as such, parents and politicians alike need not worry that violent video games will ever replace real life or cause vast changes in a child’s personality. Violent video games are exactly what they appear to be – games. Games are vital to children as a distraction from the sometimes overwhelming reality of “real life.”

Works Cited
    Anderson, Craig A., and Brad J. Bushman. “Effects of Violent Video Games on
    Aggressive Behavior, Aggressive Cognition, Aggressive Affect, Psychological
    Arousal, and Prosocial Behavior: A Meta-Analytic Review of Scientific
    Literature.” Psychological Science 12.5 (2001): 353-359.
    ---, and Catherine M. Ford. “Affect of the Game Player: Short-
    Term Effects of Highly and Mildly Aggressive Video Games.” Personality and
    Social Psychology Bulletin 12.4 (1986): 390-402.
    ---, and Karen E. Dill. “Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts,
    Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life.” Journal of Personality and
    Social Psychology 78.4 (2000): 772-790.
    Beavis, Catherine. Computer Games: Youth Culture, Resistant Readers and Consuming
    Passions. Proc. of Research in Education: Does it Count conf., 29 Nov. – 3 Dec.
    1998, Adelaide: Australian Assoc. for Research, 1998.
    Bowling for Columbine. Dir. Michael Moore. Perf. Michael Moore, Charlton Heston,
    Marilyn Manson, Dick Clark, George W. Bush, Matt Stone. United Artists, 2002.
    Emes, Craig E. “Pac Man Eating Our Children?” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 42
    (1997): 409-414.
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Dir. Jack Fletcher, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Moto
    Sakakibara. Perf. Alec Baldwin, Ving Rhames, Steve Buscemi, Peri Gilpin, Donald Sutherland, James Wood, Keith David, Jean Simmons, Matt McKenzie.
    Columbia, 2001.
    Funk, Jeanne B. “The Impact of Interactive Violence on Children.” United States Senate
    Commerce Committee, 21 Mar. 2000. The University of Toledo Department of
    Psychology. 23 Mar. 2003 <http://www.utoledo.edu/psychology/funktestimony.html>.
    Lin, S. and M. R.. Lepper. "Correlates of children's usage of video games and
    computers." Journal of Applied Social Psychology 17 (1987): 72-93.
    Manninen, Tony. Virtual Team Interactions in Networked Multimedia Games. Proc. of
    PRESENCE2001 Conf., 21 – 23 May 2001, Temple U. Philadelphia: Manninen,
    Rich, Michael. “Violent Video Games Testimony.” Chicago City Council, 30 Oct. 2000:
    1-4.
    Roediger, Henry L. III, et al. Psychology. 4th ed. Minneapolis/St. Paul: West Pub. Comp.,
    Sanchez, Marie Leticia and Jonathan Bach. “Violent Video Games and Operant
    Conditioning: Physical and Psychological Effects.” International Peace Bureau.
    23 Aug. 2002. 21 Mar. 2003. <http://www.ipb.org/fotos/video_games.pdf>.
    United States Department of Energy. Video Games – Did They Begin at Brookhaven?.
    30 Jan. 2003. 25 Mar. 2003 <http://www.osti.gov/accomplishments/videogame.html>.
    - Live-Wire

Comment

BZ is right about the parent's roll in this. I've been playing violent video games, and watching violent movies and TV programs for as long as I can remember. I believe I'm a pretty grounded individual, because my parents asked me about the games and taught me the difference of games and reality. Sometimes my parents wouldn't let me watch certain movies until I got older, I remember words told to me by my parents: There's no one to take away violence from the real world. Hitler didn't play GTA 3.

Number of People killed by Mayo: 0
      Number of People killed by Hitler: A lot more than 0
      Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Wohoo Vice City

People ran over by Dayz: 892 and counting

People shot up by Dayz: 1367 and counting

....goin for a new rec

but all of this doesnt make me want to kill people and go out of control..
        Good: Your children are sexually active.
        Bad: With each other
        Worse: And your wife.

Good: Hot outdoor sex.
        Bad: Getting arrested.
        Worse: By your husband

Good: The teacher likes your son.
        Bad: Sexually.
        Worse: The techer is a he.

Good: You go home for a quickie.
        Bad: you get caught by your wife
        Worse: You're with her sister.

Comment

i love this type of thread. something worthwhile to comment on.

everyone is saying the same argument. that prolly what makes it great. no childish flaming.
          Last edited by Mr. Peanuts; 10-17-2003, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X