No announcement yet.

Vanessa Carlton VS Avril Lavigne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True there is no bad music genre, and i hate to say this (actually i don't), but i HATE AMERICAN MAINSTREAM. Europe has much better taste in music imo, Germany $$$$$$.

and let me make this simple:
    Other genres need lyrics to be original; electronica does not.

for once i would like to see punk not talk about girls ("you"), rock not talk about stupid shit, and rap not talk about thugs and guns (my god that IS gay!). you see, it is so limited :P

and conc, electronica goes eberywhere i go it isnt meant just to be danced to at clubs n raves :P
    truth is, electronica is less repetative than most think. those with a good ear can clearly hear how repetative other music is as well, esp when you lose the lyrics

don't hate it becuase it's different!!!
    Last edited by Spybreak!; 08-05-2002, 06:55 PM.
    hey I'm Paddy Tanniger the caddie manager yeah it rhymes big whoop wanna fiight about it??
    !

Comment

newsflash

People listen to music for different reasons. Understand this and you understand it all.

Comment

aww what happened to the topic at hand?
        PURE HATRED> i cannot dodge your bombs AND my teammates
        pv=nrt> YOU ARE MINE PRINCESS iNgeNfyRe
        hogo> iNgeNfyRe Just got HoE'D
        Dark Moogoo> psst, bring the cookies and cream

Comment

Okay, last thing I'm saying in this thread, because I personally don't have an opinion about either Avril Lavigne OR Vanessa Carlton--sorry to get off subject.

First Spy, I think we agree on one thing--we both dislike American mainstream. Agreed there, 100%.

Second, I don't hate electronica exclusively because it's "different." I listen to a lot of different genres regularly--classical, indie, rock, hip hop, r&b, blues... hell, even a little old and/or alt-country (heavy on the ALT--we're talking Wilco, Son Volt, Old 97s, etc). If I were to dislike a genre based solely on it's difference from what I listen to, I'd be a goddamn hypocrite, seeing as how all genres borrow from each other.

You say that rock/rap/etc is repeptitive once you remove the lyrics. Okay, yeah, probably with most, it is--but even then, the songs are usually 3-5 minutes. They're not trying to fill a CD with a loop they made (or sampled). If you removed the words from Gomez's "Here Comes The Breeze" and made it twice as long, I probably wouldn't like it. If you cut Crystal Method's "Busy Child" in half and added something of more substance than "I guess I didn't know" and "get busy time!" lyrically, I'd probably like it a lot more than I do.

And no, other genres outside of electronica do NOT need lyrics to be original. Take Messiaen's Quatour pour la Fin du Temps--completely lyricless, yet undeniably original (a brilliant piece, I might add). It adds flavor to the song, but it's not the sole thing making a piece original. That's what remixes (made by electronica artists) are all about--taking one piece of music and driving it into the ground with a 30 minute "Extended Hyper Trance DJ Kitty Meow-Meow Mix."

I'm not saying that electronica is lost on me on a whole. I own a few DJ Shadow albums, and enjoy an occasional listen to Aphex Twin or Crystal Method. What I am saying is that you're severely limiting yourself by not opening yourself up to other music.

PS - A lot of Germans dig David Hasselhoff's music too. You're siding with a nation of Baywatch fanboys?
          Last edited by ConcreteSchlyrd; 08-05-2002, 09:08 PM.
          Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Spybreak!
            True there is no bad music genre, and i hate to say this (actually i don't), but i HATE AMERICAN MAINSTREAM. Europe has much better taste in music imo, Germany $$$$$$.
            Yea except, America's mainstream songs are written by swedish composers.
            Good effin Game
            -Not a whole lot of Text-
            sage

Comment

Kid Rock wrote "American Badass" for Oen Izan

Comment

I fear the value of a good lyric is lost upon this generation.

Comment

Trance is an intersting sound, but i find it get annoying without a good variety in it after 2 or 3 mintues. THough i have heard a few songs that you cn feel what the DJ is giving you. I would say that if you dont like mainstream get out. Join those of us on the side listening to music with soul.

Adman--all i can say is baby got back!

Conc--someone else listens to Old 97s. for all this time i thought i was the only one

Troll--i think lyrics have been lost by the main stream bands.

MTV squeezes out carbon copy bands everyday. At one time in the near past there were 4or 5 boy bands all recieveing air time from MTV. Now its pop girls from a fake skater to a slut. Mtv has changed from showcasing to making the music. The music is made to sell on TV and its not meant to have the meaning it used to have. Now a days a song comes out with minimal lyrical meaning and OMG its the highest grossing song of the year.

THere are so many bands out there that will never get big becuase they are too deep to be understood by the shallow fans of today.

now with all this said, i will leave you with a list of bands i feel you should check out, most are not main stream and never will be (some have just started to make a niche for themselves); Jack Johnson, Old 97s, Guster, Better Than Ezra, O.A.R., Dispatch, Bob Schneider, and Haywood.
                  To all the virgins, Thanks for nothing
                  brookus> my grandmother died when she heard people were using numbers in their names in online games.. it was too much for her little heart

Comment

Wait till MTV starts marketing Emo full time - Oh boy will that be fun.

In related news, Face is emo, I win the bet.
                    Last edited by Richard Creager; 08-06-2002, 07:00 AM.
                    sage

Comment

I don't know shit about trance, but I do know that there are some cool-ass electronic bands that aren't all about the same thumping bass line for 8-9 minutes. Check out the Boards of Canada and also check out Amon Tobin. Sunny Day Real Estate will never get on MTV, and Dashboard is a fucking pop band. End of story.
                      -Face
                      5:gen> man
                      5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

I thought German mainstream was just america's mainstream ripped off. Isn't Eminem really popular in Germany?

Also a lot of elecronica is the shiz especcially with lyrics that I can't make out. laf

Trance is okay if you're playing subspace elim other than that sometimes it drags on. I like the active mainstream techno like Darude or Sasha even some BT.

I like some of that vocal stuff like Poe and especcially Sneaker Pimps. Also Supreme Beings of Leisure, Portishead and Lucious Jackson
                        I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

Fear Factory, now that I could agree with.
                          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

American mainstream definately blows; but the girls in question are both rather hot.
                            YAY SUBSPACE YAY

Comment

Spy, rock still sounds good even if you remove lyrics, as long as you have good players. For example, Pink Floyd is one band I really like even without lyrics and I could listen Hendrix' guitar solo all night long without any lyrics.
                              And why do you think some bands make fully instrumental songs?
                              I don't know 'bout everyone else, but I don't like electronic music, because, well, it sounds boring to me, not because it's "different". My head hurts when I listen that too long. But, well, we are all different and so is our music taste.. Even though someone would have worse music taste than someone else
                              I'd like to complain about people who complain that people are complaining.

Comment

Fianl opinion

Avril has officially come to England and her music sucks, in some angles she is kinda sweet loooking but her nose is a bit like buffys hence eww. However, vanessa's single is kinda, I have to embarrasingly say is nice She looks very sweet on the video but has alot of...baby fat on live appearances such as top of the pops.

Comment

Working...
                                X