Somebody give me music to listen to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody give me music to listen to.

I love indie music of all kinds. Start throwing out names. Then I'll listen to them and tell you if I like it or not, then suggest some stuff to you from the same genre. Or if I've already heard of what you're mentioning. It'll be so much god damn fun.

I PROMISE.

This is the part where you get done reading my post and start giving me some good stuff to listen to. Go on, now. Make my life like dynomite. Make my world so shiney bright.
    PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

wtf is indie listen to 311
    Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
    apt>yes u can wtf
    apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
    apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
    apt>so i dont miss the toilet
    Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
    apt>na
    apt>ill show you pictures
    apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

TV on the Radio

edit: annux says joy division because he's old school
      Last edited by Vykromond; 12-01-2003, 12:38 AM.
      Originally posted by Ward
      OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Originally posted by za gophar
        wtf is indie listen to 311
        311 = 3 * 11 = 3 * K = K K K

Comment

thats made up. 311's lyrics are very positive and in at least 3 or 4 of their songs (silver and electricity, for example) they condemn racism.... not to mention that one of the members is half mexican.
          Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
          apt>yes u can wtf
          apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
          apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
          apt>so i dont miss the toilet
          Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
          apt>na
          apt>ill show you pictures
          apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Originally posted by za gophar
            thats made up. 311's lyrics are very positive and in at least 3 or 4 of their songs (silver and electricity, for example) they condemn racism.... not to mention that one of the members is half mexican.
            kkkbot

peej, annux says http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/90s/index10.shtml

za gophar, a friend in a high place says "hahaha it doesn't matter because they still fucking suck"

Comment

Some of it's not really indie rock, but:

Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day (Big ups, Boo)
              Condor44 - db (j-rock. gotta love the j-rock)
              Elbow - Asleep in the Back
              Heroic Doses - Heroic Doses
              Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen (only if you like Enigk's "Sunny Day Real Estate" voice)
              The Fire Theft - The Fire Theft (again, only if you like Enigk)
              Kill Creek - Proving Winter Cruel
              Mineral - EndSerenading
              Shiner - The Egg
              Snow Patrol - Final Straw
              The Appleseed Cast - Lost Songs
              The Polyphonic Spree - The Beginning Stages Of
              Fruit Bats - Mouthfuls

That'll at least get you started.
              Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Uh, I bet you've heard of a lot of this stuff, but here's some good bands/cds:

Archers of Loaf: Icky Mettle
                The Blood Brothers: Burn, Piano Island, Burn
                Hot Snakes: Suicide Invoice
                Prefuse 73: One Word Extinguisher
                Les Savy Fav: Rome Upside Down EP
                Neutral Milk Hotel: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
                My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
                Boards of Canada: Geogaddi
                The Wrens: The Meadowlands
                And I second Vyk's TV on The Radio recommendation.
                5:gen> man
                5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

http://genres.mp3.com/music/alternative/indie/

HURRY CUS IT'S GOIN FAST;

MP3.COM = CLOSING
                  hey I'm Paddy Tanniger the caddie manager yeah it rhymes big whoop wanna fiight about it??
                  !

Comment

dunno what these fruits are talking about but here's some indie music.

first of all i have to say hot water music. though they're on epitaph now they're still indie pretty much. check out minno or just don't say you lost it. seconldy go with some cursive. check out after the movies, the radiator hums, or the great decay. i'm getting bored of this so i'm just going to do a laundry list of bands now and you can find songs:
                    cap'n jazz
                    the promise ring
                    american football
                    bright eyes
                    pedro the lion
                    jets to brazil
                    sunny day real estate
                    interpol
                    wilco
                    death cab for cutie
                    the postal service

that'll do though you'lve probably heard most of them

EDIT: if you can find some last great liar on mp3.com definitely check them out

Comment

Some that weren't mentioned

Mogwai
                      Primal Scream
                      Smog
                      Spiritualized
                      Yo La Tengo

Comment

Just don't get the new YLT album, because it sucks. Get I Can Feel The Hearts Beating As One.
                        5:gen> man
                        5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Originally posted by Facetious
                          The Wrens: The Meadowlands
                          I love these threads. This album is badass--thanks Face.
                          Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I'll go from person to person:

za gopher - shutup

Vykro to the mond - TV on the radio is pretty kickass. The Young Liars EP is quality.

Annux - that link sets my loins on fire. thanks

Conc -
                            Condor44 - db (j-rock. gotta love the j-rock) - I remember when you were searching all over for this. I listened to it then and couldn't get into it. Mostly because it's Japanese (NOT RACIST OR GAY).
                            Elbow - Asleep in the Back - Already have this. Extremely laid back Brit rock.
                            Heroic Doses - Heroic Doses - Already have this...but I haven't had it for very long. Real good stuff, I dig that "Pushy Girl" song.
                            Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen (only if you like Enigk's "Sunny Day Real Estate" voice) - I do like his voice, and I've been a fan of Sunny Day since I was about 15. Definately gonna check this out.
                            The Fire Theft - The Fire Theft (again, only if you like Enigk) - Already have this. You sent me the song "Sinatra" a couple months ago and I really liked it. Got the rest of the album not long after and I've been enjoying it since.

The rest of the albums you mentioned I'm currently acquiring - since you and I have a long track record of similar music taste across almost every genre, I'm sure it'll be good stuff. As far as stuff I'd like to recommend to you, I'm going to comb through my collection and get back to you on AIM sometime (we need to get back to sending each other songs, dude). For the time being, these are the ones off the top of my head - I know you've heard of all of these people and bands I'm listing, I'm just pretty sure you haven't listened to any of them very much.

Some albums:
                            The Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia
                            Kula Shaker - K
                            Slug - The Lucy Ford EP
                            Slug - Se7ens
                            Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash
                            Amon Tobin - Supermodified
                            Xen Cuts - Ninja Tune - this is a 3-CD compilation of artists on the ninja tune label. I'm sure you'll notice a few of the names. Almost every individual song on all 3 CDs have a completely original sound, ranging from hip hop to electronic to trip hop to real instrumental pieces.

Some songs:
                            Atmosphere - Sound Vibration
                            IMA Robot - Dynomite
                            Amon Tobin - Keepin' It Steel (The Anvil)

Face:

Hot Snakes: Suicide Invoice - Already have this. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
                            Prefuse 73: One Word Extinguisher - I have this. I don't know, I tried to get into Prefuse 73, but I just couldn't. It's not that I dislike it, I just get bored with it fast.
                            Les Savy Fav: Rome Upside Down EP - Already have this. Les Savy Fav is hit or miss for me. Some of their stuff I love the shit out of, and some of it I don't.
                            Neutral Milk Hotel: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - I'm currently getting this. A couple of my friends have been pushing this on me for a while now, so I figure it must be pretty fucking quality.
                            Boards of Canada: Geogaddi - I have all the Boards of Canada albums and Geogaddi is my favorite. Dawn Chorus and 1969 are 2 of my favs on it.

Like Conc's suggestions, I'm currently trying to get my hands on the rest. I'm not even going to attempt to suggest some of my Indie rock on you since we have a tendency to clash in that category. I'll shift it to hip hop instead. Here are a few albums I think you should check out:

Buck 65 - Man Overboard
                            Buck 65 - Vertex
                            Buck 65 - Talkin' Honky Blues
                            El P - Fantastic Damage
                            Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste Of Rain...Why Kneel? (Out of all the ones I'm suggesting, I can see you liking this one the most)
                            Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

genocidal
                            cap'n jazz - Yuck.
                            the promise ring - These guys take emo to the extreme, much like Dashboard Confessional. I do not care for Dashboard Confessional. Not a fan.
                            american football - More extreme emo. This is more tolerable though.
                            bright eyes - No
                            jets to brazil - I like a few of their songs. Dislike the rest. Their album Orange Rhyming Dictionary is decent.
                            sunny day real estate - Good stuff.
                            wilco - It seems like you aren't a true indie rock fan if you don't like Wilco. This is another group I just couldn't really get into. Jeff Tweedy is one talented guy, don't get me wrong. I just can't listen to Wilco for long periods of time, though. It's an impossibility.

interpol
                            death cab for cutie
                            the postal service

I haven't heard of these last three - guessing from the trend of the other bands you suggested they're emo. I'll check them out.

In other news, this post took me 45 minutes to create. That's roughly 44 minutes, 30 seconds longer than it takes me to create an average Pearl Jam post. Good stuff thus far, guys and dudes.

The Peej
                            Last edited by Pearl Jam; 12-01-2003, 04:25 AM.
                            PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Any semimainstream sounding indie that's not TOO weird?

Also what is indie exactly? ... indie label? ... or indie sound?
                              Last edited by Sufficient; 12-01-2003, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X