Stupidity and Ignorance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupidity and Ignorance

Alright I know this has been brought up before, but I'm bringing it up again. I'm tired of seeing veterans and newer players alike acting with no self respect at all. People in this game think that just because they've been playing for 5 years, or have particpated in TWL, gives them the right to be jackasses to everyone else playing. Or the second scenario, the people who have been on for a few months and think they're top shit.

If you have to constantly argue, insult, or make up excuses for everytime you die - your pathetic. I don't even have to say anything else, you proove me right with every meagre insult you throw.

I have been playing this game on different alaises and in a variety of zones, for many years now. I could classify myself a veteran, but I don't. That's what makes the difference between veterans that may deserve some respect, and the ones I'm talking about. Sure I've played for ages, but I don't have to throw it into random peoples faces everytime I die in elim.

I suppose I should stop ranting, and get to the point. How hard is it to tell when someone is joking around in a public chat, or when someone has been degrading people in elim for 30 minutes straight? It's ridiculas, TW has one of the top staff in all of Subspace. Would it really add THAT much more pressure on you guys, to hand out warnings/bans for blatant ignorance and stupidity beyond cause and reason? Come on, you people are mature enough to draw the line.

The biggest thing that ruins TW today is all these shitheads prancing around thinking they're above the law, and can say and do almost whatever they want. Private chats are one thing, but subspace isn't made of 18 year olds. My neighboor has played SS for longer than me, so chances are he has the box. He won't let his son play anymore (9 years old, played TW for about 2 years) just because there is almost no discretion whatsoever.

It's time for the staff members to take the extra 15 minutes a day to ban these assholes and make TW a better and more enjoyable place for everyone in it.

Almost forgot -

To all you 'vets' who feel the need to flame this topic, go ahead. I could care less if you've played every single TWL season to date, but if your online ego flys up a few notches, be my guest. With that thinking, maybe if you show that hot chick you met at the party last night that you can pull a 30-0 in elim, she'll get all aroused and you'll have enjoyable evening at last.
    Last edited by Capital Knockers; 06-07-2004, 04:57 AM.
    7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
    7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
    7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
    7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
    1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

What exactly are you suggesting? Is your problem that our little online community isn't safe enough for a nine-year old to play? If that's the case, I'd argue that I really don't care if any nine-year olds play Subspace, and any parent that isn't an idiot would never let their nine-year old play an online game that isn't specifically targeted at young children in the first place. I personally enjoy being able to talk about blowjobs or whatever in elim spec chat occasionally, and I really don't feel any personal responsibilty for exposing children to the language that I use. If their parents are dumb enough to let their kids roam free on the internet, that's their fault, not mine.

Or are you suggesting that we ban people for merely being stupid? If that's the case, where would you draw the line? Perhaps you're saying you'd like to ban someone like Destroy or DEA for bragging too much and being "ignorant", but the truth of the matter is that there are people out there that do like talking to Destroy and DEA, and it isn't your place to decide who should and shouldn't play Subspace. Personally, I have rarely found that I enjoy talking to anyone that isn't intelligent enough to use correct grammar and spelling. If it were up to me, the Subspace community would be made up only of people that can write at a high school level. That wouldn't include you. Ridiculas? What the hell? Fuck that, I'm banning you. You're clearly an idiot.

Basically, your idea is dumb.
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

The fact that my neighboors kid isn't aloud to play anymore isn't my problem, it's just an example that I thought fit a portion of this topic. Also I never said that I had any problems with talking about blowjobs or whatnot in a spec chat.

Bragging is one thing, and I never said I had a problem with it. It's when people take it too far and turn things into personal attacks and stuff. Spelling is on a completely different level altogether, and with the diversity of age-groups in SS, not everyone can type at a high school level, it can't be helped.

Certain things can be helped, and some of the things you see on this game is just enough. All I'm suggesting is that maybe if a mod sees someone doing something completely stupid, that seems to clearly anger, annoy, or offend almost everyone in an arena, maybe a warning is in order. Heck I'm not saying ban them for life.

Maybe I came on pretty strong with this, but it's something that has been bugging me for quite a while, and it's only gotten worse over time. I also wasn't intending for this to be aimed at anyone, or any certain group.

Although thanks for posting a real reply, and not just -

STFU you newb! I own j00 .. etc.

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"

Comment

I guess I just don't understand what exactly you're suggesting people be banned for. "Something completely stupid" is hard to define, was my point. Also, just giving someone a warning isn't going to accomplish anything. A warning that isn't backed up by a ban is pointless.
        Last edited by Facetious; 06-07-2004, 05:06 AM. Reason: I've been drinking!
        5:gen> man
        5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

For example, if I get killed by destroy in elim and he calls me a newb or something. Or If I kill destroy, and the same thing happens, whatever.

What I can't stand, and I don't think many others can either. Is when someone in elim (gosh elim is such a great example) gets killed by someone else they do or don't know, and they insult, offend and go on doing so for 10+ minutes or so.

I guess thats where I'd personally draw the line. If I were to say 'fuck off you n****r' I'd have mods all over me in 2 seconds (some would argue this). Yet someone can go from saying your mother is a whore, your a worthless piece of shit.. no need to go on, but they can get nuts.

Racism, when used jokingly, is still punishable in TW. People can say worse things, and go on 10 minute long spaz-outs about it, and not even be given a second glance. I was motivated to make this topic mainly because in the past few months, it's happening more and more. I wasn't very clear, true, but I'd have to say the 10 minute hostile spaz attacks are most likely what I was referring to.

Comment

?nopubchat
            ?ignore
            lines = 0

The responsibility begins at home. I'm not making excuses for the dickheads that want to be dickheads. I'm just saying you already have tools with which to avoid the unpleasantry you're speaking of. Face it, in this big floaty orb turney thing called the world, a significant portion of people are just.. jerks. That's why we have that word. It would be a magical day when you could convince a jerk to just suddenly one day stop being a jerk, but until that happens you do have tools to help you, as I listed above. Please don't say that you get tired of adding the multitudes to ignore or whatever, as I've seen some others say, when you feel the way you do, it's your responsibility to take action as far as you can, to promote your enjoyment.
            "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

u guys need to keep it simple. most the ppl will not even read large posts like the ones aboven.
              Originally posted by Kolar
              My reaction:

;1;Holy Shit
              ;1;Al Qaeda took care of method for us

Comment

Their loss then.

A lot of the problems you brought up, Knockers, isn't based on stupidity or ignorance, but ego. The high population of TW makes these problems worse because they grow exponentially. Staff won't do anything (nor should they) because this isn't just rampant, it's ingrained. Too many people do act a certain way because they want to be offensive jerks, but unless it crosses a line like racism or, you can't regulate trash talk.

Setting lines to zero or ignoring pubchat isn't the answer either. That's like being an ostrich and sticking your head in the sand.

Comment

I agree with Troll, and I agree with knockers, and I agree with Facetious

No but seriously, just dont let it get to your head. Youre being pretty immature yourself by coming on here and making shitty remarks. Its pointless, people arent gonna get banned for talking about things that you dont like.

Who cares if people call you a noob... Maybe you are? Ever think of that? Personally, Ive never heard of you, Ive heard of dep though, so dont try to pounce on me.

Anyways, just dont take shit seriously. Like you said... Its a game.
                  audit> and btw, im your fan!

DeeZ NuTs> time to own
                  DeeZ NuTs> got my fedex hat on
                  Azreal> LOloL
                  cook> ROFL

R.I.P VENOM

Comment

i agree it dose get pretty anyoing when you kill a guy or he kills you and imediantly after they say 'newb' or somthing along those lines and continues to do so untill you leave the arena. Its just not fun... do poeple just type this so they can see there name on the screen or somthing? If you kill them them i dont think they have the right to call you a 'newb' or whatever or you to call them it.. its just common deasency and manners and it dosent matter if 'its only a game'. would you like it if you were walking along a corridor and the person who you didn't even know slamed a door in your face? no i dont think you would...
                    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Comment

For the most part when I've addressed this I get the regular "It's only a game". It is a problem, one that I dont think can be helped much unless you want to pull a J and slient Bob and beat the living shit out of every annoying pub, elim and foum person. Some of them aren't effected by their actions on this game and that's where the conflict is between the two groups. That doesn't mean people should stop caring or stop playing the game the way they want. But at some point you have to take care of this when it becomes intentional, excessive and malicious.

-------------------------------------
                      ^There's your line

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                        Setting lines to zero or ignoring pubchat isn't the answer either. That's like being an ostrich and sticking your head in the sand.
                        To the contrary, it's the exact right solution for a person that is completely sick of all pub chat, to the point where it affects his/her enjoyment of the game. It isn't about being an ostrich, it's about using the tools and commands you have to remove negative influences from your environment. As you said, you can't regulate trash talk, and as Kolar said, the line is when trash talk turns into harassment. All the way up to that line though you have things built in here to help you deal with it.
                        "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

There are some noticable ego problems in TW, but when there's thousands of people in a community, you're guaranteed to have a handful of ass holes. The bigger problem that I notice is people being blatantly immature and whiny.

And since I do consider myself to be somewhat of a vet, I try to approach certain people about their behavior. Sometimes they stop, sometimes they get worse.

I dont think it would be a bad idea for mods to warn people about being that way, but it is hard to "draw the line."

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
                            To the contrary, it's the exact right solution for a person that is completely sick of all pub chat, to the point where it affects his/her enjoyment of the game. It isn't about being an ostrich, it's about using the tools and commands you have to remove negative influences from your environment. As you said, you can't regulate trash talk, and as Kolar said, the line is when trash talk turns into harassment. All the way up to that line though you have things built in here to help you deal with it.

But it also cuts out stuff that isn't crap. Instead of relying on chat filters to block out text that may or may not be crap, it's better to be able to use your head. If you see someone calling you a newb, then don't worry about it or move on. I even keep some stock macros to respond. If someone calls me a lagger, I fire off one that says "Lag happens. Live with it, or get type-killed complaining about it", and I don't give it another thought. If pub chat gets to you and affects your enjoyment, then you have to learn to deal wtih it and move on. ?ignoring it is just a form of denial.

Comment

some people just take this game too fucking serious for their own good. Take the stick out of your asses and blow shit up.
                              There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

Working...
                              X