Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Directory Server Option - directory.poid.be

Hello All,

Recently I have setup a new directory server running at 'directory.poid.be'.

What is a Directory Server

A directory server allows clients to find out which zones are currently available for players. Subspace Zones send information to directory servers letting them know they exist. Players then download the list from directory servers when you go to the "Zones" section of Continuum and click "download".

What about the ones already in my Continuum Zones screen?

There were only 3 potential options left:
    1) sscentral.trenchwars.org - Best alternative. Sometimes goes down but Qan can restart it once notified.
    2) sscentral.sscuservers.net - When it goes down, it normally stays down for weeks (a few months in the last year). It also seems to be missing a number of zones.
    3) subspace.gamespec.org - Not updated by many zones but still provides really old info it had it for them. Thus some zone info is quite stale (wrong IPs or Ports or Zones no longer online).

Without a working directory server, people won't find zones to connect to. This is especially bad for new players! So it is best to always have a few working options available. This is why I worked with Qan to get sscentral.trenchwars.org running a year ago, as there were none working at that time!

Why add this one?

directory.poid.be not only accepts updates directly from zones ("Hey I'm here!" notifications), but it also downloads updates from other directory servers every 30 minutes. Currently this is set to grab from sscentral.trenchwars.org and sscentral.sscuservers.net. So you should never miss out on a zone as long as the zone owners configure any of those 3 options!

How do I add it?

Simply add 'directory.poid.be' to the "Directory Server Address List" input box in the Add/Update Zones screen in Continuum.

*Please Note* Unfortunately Continuum only downloads from the first server in the list that it is able to connect to, even if that directory server only has a couple of zones in it. For this reason I suggest putting 'directory.poid.be' first in the list, as it already has the information from the other ones in it!

Thus I would suggest the field be: directory.poid.be, sscentral.trenchwars.org, sscentral.sscuservers.net, subspace.gamespec.org

https://imgur.com/D9wNhiw
    (Continuum Image thanks to Rab)

Why are you hosting one? What's in it for you?

To ensure every zone gets a chance to be seen and make sure people don't leave the game because they can't find a place to connect to. The protocol used by Continuum to communicate with a directory server is simple and doesn't share any information about your client, not even your user id. No information is stored about clients, just zones to send that info to clients! If you are interested in the details it is described here: http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php...lient_Protocol

If you have any issues as a player, or how to add a new directory server to your existing Subgame or ASSS zone, feel free to get in touch. In game or Discord are easiest.

Cheers
    POiD

Thanks Poid!
    2018 TWDT Champion 2019 TWLD Final 4 2019 TWDTJ Semi finalist 2019 2x TWDTD Finalist 2020 TW Forum Mafia Game champion

Comment

A+++ would download zones again.

Comment

Working...
      X