Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here use Fiber Optics to play Continuum/Subspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here use Fiber Optics to play Continuum/Subspace?

Just wondering if anyone uses fiber here and what your experience has been using it on this game? Do you have smooth gameplay if so? Appreciate any input on the matter. Thanks!
    TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
    TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
    TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
    TSLD CHAMPION 2018
    TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Maybe something is lost in translation, I'm assuming you're talking about internet connections.

In the UK there is "fibre to the home" or "fibre to the cabinet" (then copper from the cabinet to the home). Both of them get called "fibre" for marketing purposes. A "fibre to the home" internet connection is better than any other kind. Lower pings, higher download, higher upload, better stability. I've had it for 10 years. It doesn't help with the ~70ms of crossing the ocean though.

You might find that other parts of your network are a bottleneck. e.g. 100Mbit/s 'fast' ethernet ports or switches will need upgrading to gigabit, and W-Fi needs to be Wi-Fi 6 (ax). In the UK a new internet connection comes with a router, so if that's the same there then you mainly just have to check that the network adapter on your pc supports whatever connection to the router you plan on using.

Smoothness in this game isn't really determined by your connection, mainly it's the settings of your game client and your hardware, followed by server stability and the connections of other players.

The better your connection is the more you notice the lag of other players.

Having a great connection and being near the server does seem to be a competitive advantage.

In summary, there's no reason not to get fibre to the home.

If you're having problems with client smoothness maybe elaborate more about that, and post your hardware specs including your monitor, and your game client advanced settings, I may have other suggestions to improve it.

Comment

Omg, he said fiber not fibre you nerd.

Comment

Bell has fiber service and stuff - can watch Minions on it. Hope this thread is all the merrier or something.
        TWDT Power Squadron Triple Crown Win 2018 Season. Base, Javelin and Warbird Medals.
        TWDTB Season 15 Trench Wars Draft Basing: TWDTB Champion & Medal
        TSLB All-Star Season 2: Medal 1 Win-Baser in 2 or 4 to 10 Zones('Grab the Flag')&Paladen Best Old Squad 50 Members-former whiterabbits squad, fan and member: Invincible
        ~Babylon 5 spider insider.sigpic former No Surrender and No Surrender II,loyal to Anti-Scrub~ Kongregate Champion!

Comment

Thx for info Rab. I'm going to give it a try and having install on Friday. The possible bottle neck on ports and wifi is very useful info too.. thx. As I understand, in my contract I get an ONT, Optical Network Terminal AND a Router in my plan for 2 years free of charge. Excited and nervous all at once going into the "modern" internet age.
          TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
          TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
          TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
          TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
          TSLD CHAMPION 2018
          TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Working...
          X