Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Lancaster is now Much Much Worse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Lancaster is now Much Much Worse.

I know not many people played the Lancaster much before the recent changes, and might not have much to compare it to, but I've flown the Lanc almost exclusively for years now, and I think I might have some insight on it's value, and how the recent changes have made it much less usefull.

First a caveat: I only play pub, and lately only pure-pub. I imagine things work differently in leagues with more experienced players and the action more focused around the flag room.

You've basically taken the slowest, least maneuverable of the dogfighters(WB, Spider, Lanc), and required it to make 2 out of 2 shots in succession to get kills. Getting two hits in rapid succession means the lancaster now has to fight much closer to it's opponents, where it's lack of speed and maneuverability put it at a marked disadvantage. Wheras the spider has to only make 3-4 out of a 5-7 shot burst to get a kill, and has the maneuverability to chase weakened foes, the new lancaster can rarely keep up with an opponent if it's first attack fails.

The 2 or 4 bullets of the lancaster aren't a great help for this type of fighting either. For one thing, they're an awful lot slower than WB and spider bullets. Hitting anything that isn't close, or flying right at you, takes more practice than you'd think. And with the changes, you now have to hit them twice. The lanc also only gets 3 shots within the first few seconds. A spider gets 10.

Pre-change, the lanc was always best when fighting in mid-base, shooting at range. The mid-base restricts opponents flying enough to give them less room to dodge your spread, and for you to more easily predict where to send your multifire bullets for those speculative shots. There's also enough room to duck behind something to recharge, which the Lancaster needs lots of time for. This isn't glamorous fighting, but it is effective. Flying a Lanc required as much strategic and positional thinking as it did raw aiming skill (aka Warbirds). But, all of this strategy hinged on one thing: One shot kills. Aside from the spider, every ship has this ability (The Terrier does have those nasty bursts). Without it, the lanc is a sitting duck.

Post-change, you have a marginally effective flag room fighter. The spider still wins out on it within the flag room in my eyes though, and outside the flag room, the Lanc is easy prey for warbirds.

In short, you took an effective if underused mid-base ship, and turned it into a weak spider.

Like I say, for league and proper basing play, where the action does focus around the flag room, the new lanc might work better. But for Pub and pure-pub, where the action is generally a bit lower on the map, the old lanc was much more effective. I know pub players bragging about stats and records is a bit laughable, and people rarely believe them anyways, but I think this proves a point about the old Lancaster: Flying a lanc almost exclusively, I usually had an average kill of 120-140(i.e: Usually on the flag-holding team), and with Kill/Death ratios between 2:1 and 3:1. I am not boasting; I know there are better players with better records, but from what I've seen, this is usually pretty good. And this is Basing with a Lancaster. It was a very good ship prior to the change.

And for all the Lanc haters: The easiest to learn, most dangerous, and most popular ship with newbies is and always has been the Warbird. Stop calling me a newb when I shoot you. :-P

I posted something about this... The people voted on it and they pretty much have no intention on changing it back. :down:
    |
    Spam me, Im bored: Sleepsmokr0001@yahoo.com
    Selex - (Early) 2000 - (Mid) 2004 Retiree!(July 25)
    [Spastic]
    --:fear:--

Comment

Boycott the lanc. Don't use it.

Problem solved.
      Save a tree; eat a beaver

1:Mefesto> king let me say you something
      1:Mefesto> you are a soon of a biatch with retarded face like nostra damus and you got a hump on your dick

WHY TALK SHIT WHEN YOU ALREADY MAKE IT?!

Comment

Sorry this game doesn't run under a society's economic viewpoint. If no one uses ship 7, then no one uses ship 7. Unless you don't play subspace as a protest, then be my guest and don't play. 'Sides, most people who are really complaining about Ship 7 belong in PUBS ANYWAYS, we can spare a few.
        ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
        Failure teaches success.
        . â–²
        ▲ ▲

Comment

Stop whining about the new settings, there is already alot of threads about it...

Comment

I like the new settings a lot.

Comment

It's more fun now.
              A man who desires nothing is invincible.

Comment

I'm sorry but I disagree with you alot Nam Tobor, except for what you said about warbirds in the end

First of all, pre-change you "needed" to have distance to your foes in case you missed. If you missed you were a sitting duck for pretty much any other ship.

Secondly, I don't see how being able to charge close to an opponent just after he shot and paint his face full of yellow bullets is a bad thing? For me lancaster has become much more fun after the change.

Thirdly, think spider scary, warbird ez pie.
                Spiders can kill a lancaster easily, they just hit you once in a while and hold your energy down and you cannot shoot at them not risking to get killed by one bullet.
                Warbirds on other hand are easy to kill, either hit them after they shot, or get a shot in on them, get close and kill them with another shot. I rarely get killed in a dogfight against a warbird now.

I don't know how you play with Lancaster but I think it has become a MUCH better ship after the change. But you must change the style you use, the old fashion way of using Lancaster is as you say not working anymore.

In short, just charge your enemy and pump em full of bullets. Easy.

PS. If you are smart, don't go for people with full energy, pick on the ones with low energy. DS.

Comment

DS = EZ?

G[y]Ro> omfg
                  G[y]Ro> u nerds
                  G[y]Ro> NERDS
                  G[y]Ro> ALL OF U

Comment

Originally posted by Rion.
                    DS = EZ?

Type out the words, I for one do not know what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Malladrin
                      PS. If you are smart, don't go for people with full energy, pick on the ones with low energy. DS.
                      Is "DS." used, like, [/PS], in nerd talk?
                      G[y]Ro> omfg
                      G[y]Ro> u nerds
                      G[y]Ro> NERDS
                      G[y]Ro> ALL OF U

Comment

Originally posted by Rion.
                        Is "DS." used, like, [/PS], in nerd talk?
                        No, it means "the same" (author) or densamme in swedish, however the use is as /PS but (I didn't know this until I looked it up) mostly by swedes.
                        Last edited by Malladrin; 09-21-2004, 03:54 AM.

Comment

i disagree that the one-shot kill aspect has been taken out of the lanc's game now. i think it has merely become more focussed on timing your one-shot kills.

what they have basically tried to do is create a midground between warbird and weasel.

with the lanc, the way you will get kills is by hitting ships when they are at less than full energy, duh. . . same with spider right?

now aside from the obvious damage difference, the lanc does have faster bullets than the spider, albeit less firing capacity, speed and maneuverability.

the settings they have are a test. . . i don't play lanc anymore, so i couldn't tell you if i like it better or not.

it is obviously better for league play as nam pointed out. . . but pub? i hate pub changes to begin with. . .

good post thought. we'll see if the change sticks.
                          Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
                          Philos> there is something about you
                          Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

I believe also that using multifire actually changes the new lancaster back into a one-hit-kill ship. So you can actually decide whether to... a) Use multi & have a higher chance of killing, but be vulnerable for longer afterwards, or b) Use normal shots to vulch/neg & still have the energy to escape.

Just another thing to consider.
                            Hello Denon it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several days, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Comment

now u just need to AIM abit more then be4

i have seen more lanc'ers with the new setting then be4, so i guess that the new settings are working.
                              Originally posted by Kolar
                              My reaction:

;1;Holy Shit
                              ;1;Al Qaeda took care of method for us

Comment

Working...
                              X