TW Player Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asmodeus
    Heh, you're probably right...but it doesn't hurt to try. Think about all the past revolutions....the French and American Revolutions and the likes. Why not start another in our small online community? :P
    It's funny that you mention the American Revolution, since the Americans used tactics that could be identified as "unethical" in the eyes of the British. Ironic isn't it?

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
    .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

I didn't really read much of this, but I used to never spawn. That good habit slowly got destroyed as I realized it was stupid. Just spawn back, it makes up for getting spawned.
      7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
      7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
      7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
      7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
      1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeus
        Foobarz: The gist of what I got, from that link you provided, made it seem like I'm trying to pull a stunt for personal gain.... This is not the case for I know of other players who dislike and don't care for the spawning. ...And if I got the wrong idea from the articles linked to that address, I apologize.
        That's not what I meant. What I meant is that while it might be ideal if no one spawned, people will always have an incentive to defect from this agreement and spawning will never end, so the only people who get screwed are those who don't spawn.
        1:Zerzera> aura shut up
        1:Zerzera> you hate my recruits because I am muslim
        jdigs3> jdigs offers u his protection

Comment

Originally posted by foobarz
          That's not what I meant. What I meant is that while it might be ideal if no one spawned, people will always have an incentive to defect from this agreement and spawning will never end, so the only people who get screwed are those who don't spawn.
          Ah...hmmmm. Sorry for my misinterpretation. You too make a valid point..... I guess I should look at it like this:w/o evil there would be no good....ying and yang...etc. ......I still wish more players would practice this ideal though. :P

Maybe I should start spawning? o.O Nah....

Comment

Spawning is a huge part of dding, not because of deaths per se but because of rythmn, being spawn throws off your rythmn in a game and is like rebounds in basketball, its takes the same amount of luck and skill, its there and is a huge factor in a game. Javs might a little different because its a lot slow paced but for the most part if u look objectively very very very rarely is there a situation of a true spawn meaning unavoidable, not being spawned is not hard, even in elim. If u can honestly say u don't shoot and are continusly spawned then they need to change the spawn zone radius not stop spawning.

If u want to talk about ethics i think its wrong to not cancel a dd because somone logged off. And in more than one game i've specced due to the other freq having someone lag out perminantly.

Anyway its ridiculous to talk about ethics in an online game, ethics morals and values are nothing without something to weigh against. Its all fine to say its wrong to steal until u are hungry and broke, its all fine to say its wrong to kill when u don't have a gun pointed at u, and its all fine to say spawning is wrong when you are the one getting spawned and losing because of it.

Comment

I too think spawning is simply part of the game. Its a fast-paced game, you have to think on your feet. Besides, who knows if they aren't really there? They could just be waiting (I've seen people wait in counter strike).

Way up at the top someone said "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" was a biblical principle. While it may be mentioned in the bible, that doesn't make it any more a "biblical principle" than "thou shalt not steal" is a biblical principle. Its just common sense.

Far better than teaching "kill the infidels!"

Comment

I find it funny how warbirds try to spawn kill sharks in pub. And I'm not just talking about when they fire at the sudden appearence of a ship right in front of them but when it appears behind them and a little ways off so that they have to actually turn around to do it. The whole "if I don't kill him, he'll get me" argument doesn't apply in that situation. I mean, if you're in open space, there's no way a shark can suddenly sneak up on you and kill you just after he spawns.

I find it funnier when they miss and the shark makes them pay.

In all seriousness, flying almost exclusively in a shark, I don't spawn kill others at all. I won't even go after a levi. I'm more interested in getting back into base as fast as possible and the energy drain just isn't worth it. When I get spawn killed I don't mind that much. Of course, I could repel if I see a ship near me when I spawn, but that isn't worth wasting a rep on. If they try to kill me however and I'm not immediately needed in base, I won't hesitate to make them pay for it. After all, if you try to spawn kill a shark and you miss, you deserve to die.

Comment

RE: FuzzyWuzzyBear

actually i'm pretty sure the golden rule isn't trademarked
                  Originally posted by Ward
                  OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

As of Spawning its tolerable in most pubs or arenas but not in competitions like dds or similars, now we have the tool to prevent that from happening in dd making each freq respawn in its respective corner or maybe giving them as they respawn tempo-shields and energy-depletiton making so it cant be killed or kill for a few seconds.

Comment

"Spawn or be spawned", is not the answer to this problem, nor is it trying to teach junior high and high school kids a lesson about ethics and honor when this is merely an internet game. Spawning to most players is almost a natural reflex, they don't even care to look at the other player's name, and that's fine, because if they do take their time to read it, they will get killed. In a game like subspace where everybody is out to prove they are better than the rest, skill should be the dominant factor and cause of death, but it isn't. We have lag, a factor we all know plays a huge role, we have luck, a very small factor but still significant. We also have cheats, wether it's people manipulating lag, or changing their graphics files to their advantage (a LOT of players do this), or speccing/disconnecting their modems to advoid death. And then we have the spawn factor, the cause of at least 1/10 of all deaths per DD match. Most of these factors are unavoidable like luck and lag, but spawn is not something we should be having issues with, because it is very fixable. Many ideas have already been suggested to fix spawn killing but I guess you need a thread with 200+ replies for it to catch the attention of someone important.
                      -pillow

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                        All the fucking new kids playing like they want to be metalkid ruin dueling completely.
                        I'll take that as a compliment.

Comment

Working...
                        X