A Proposal to Greatly Improve Our Subspatial Dystopia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Proposal to Greatly Improve Our Subspatial Dystopia

DISCLAIMER: This is long, really long. If you aren't going to read it, that's your prerogative. Please don't respond with some shitwitted sentiment regarding the length.

Now then, I had promised to expand upon some ideas I posted in qan's thread. That's what I'm doing here. By no means is this in a finished form. I most definitely want feedback. I'd love to see others contribute. Eventually, I'm going to write up as professional a proposal as I can muster and submit it to DoCk>, and perhaps some other upper staffers as well.

--- BEGIN COPY AND PASTE FROM MY WORD DOCUMENT ---

Original draft: Jason
    Contributors:
    Latest Revision: 1/02/05

Yeah, so basically these are my thoughts as to how we can fix some of the problems currently plaguing the staff of our beloved zone, SSCU Trench Wars. Not everything you will read herein came from me. I have passed my proposal around to various individuals whom I respect (the dudes listed as contributors directly above this passage), seeking their opinions and encouraging them to suggest any revisions they felt would improve the overall quality, clarity and cohesiveness of this document.

*** So I had this awesome table of contents/outline right here, but forum formatting is lacking, and it looks like shit. I've left it out so as not to confuse anyone. ***

SECTION I. – Structural Organization

I-a. Divide & Conquer

A tried and true method of attacking just about any sort of problem, a divide and conquer approach is exactly what the Trench Wars staff needs to consider. I had originally proposed the idea of committees, separate entities each responsible for a specific set of tasks. I still stand behind this idea; however I would like to amend it to some extent. Rather the committees, let’s use the word ‘divisions’. The Trench Wars staff needs to be separated into divisions. Here’s what I mean by that.

On-Call Division

First, you start off at the bottom. You have what I would like to dub the On-Call Division (OCD). The OCD is comprised of your ZH’s, ER’s and Mods. All of these staff members are on-call to answer your ?help and ?cheater calls, as well as host events. (Clever naming scheme, eh?)

ZH’s

I know that Epi has argued that ZH’s are, at present, useless, and I most certainly agree with him. This is why I feel that the use of RoboHelp needs to be severely cut back upon. The !tell command should be removed completely. Force your Zone Helpers to help! Require them to initiate one on one contact with the player base. RoboHelp should only send an automated response to a player in the event that there’s absolutely no one around to help, and the call has gone unanswered for a specified amount of time. Otherwise, ZH’s should be responsible for getting the job done.

ER’s

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. As far as I’m concerned, the premise behind this position is a solid one. I realize that laziness is a problem amongst ER’s, but I’ll get into that when I discuss evaluations later on in this document.

Mod’s

Again, as far as I’m concerned, the premise behind this position is a solid one. There are certainly problems with laziness and, of course, abuse, but I’ll get into that when I discuss evaluations later on in this document.

League Management Division

Running both TWD and TWL, as well as any other miscellaneous leagues that may come and go, should not be handled by any other division – i.e the rest of staff. It makes sense to separate out league staffers from other staffers. The leagues could, in fact, be considered a separate entity from the rest of the zone, could they not? So why aren’t they staffed by a separate group of people? We should have a League Management Division (LMD).

TWD Management

We should keep things the way they are now in the TWD department, more or less. Perhaps it would behoove us to stock this particular sub-division with just a few more operators than we currently have, but even still, I think our current number of ops, were they all to be as active as they should be, can handle the job.

TWL Management

We should have four, yes FOUR, operators in charge of TWL. Some may want to toss out the argument that “too many cooks can spoil the soup”, but I disagree. With only two ops, it’s far too easy to run into a situation in which you get a split opinion. It’s also far too easy for those two ops to fall behind on the workload, as there is a ton of shit to do in order to keep TWL afloat. (Biggest of ups to PUSH. Goddamn, he was amazing.) Yes, of course you can have the same situation arise between four people, but at the very least, you get more opinions (I don’t think four is too many, but rather just enough.) and more ways to divide up what has to be done. You also increase the likelihood that Joe Schmoe Player will be able to get in touch with an op when he/she needs to.

Working beneath the operators, we should have a team of league referees. These guys would be around solely to host TWL matches. That’s it. They wouldn’t be ER’s. They would be LR’s. I think that by having a group of people dedicated entirely to hosting TWL matches, and making sure we have a decent amount of them, we shan’t (what a funky word) ever have to worry about being short on hosts again.

Misc. Management

I only put this section in to cover all those leagues that aren’t TWD or TWL. Things like TWSBL and TWRC would fall into this category. The premise is the same here as it is in TWD/TWL. You would have ops and refs. It’s as simple as that.

Go-To Division

I call this the Go-To Division (GTD) because it would consist of the go-to guys. Here you would find those who are in charge of running the various other divisions and sub-divisions. Think of them as middle management, so to speak. I would say that the members of the GTD should be Smods, perhaps even some Sysops with limited power.

Division/Sub-Division Leaders

The best way for me to explain the GTD is to just jump right in with an example. Let’s look at the OCD. There are three sub-divisions of the OCD, those being ZH’s, ER’s and Mod’s. I say we have a “team leader” of sorts for each of those sub-divisions. So we would have a ZH Team Leader, an ER Team Leader and a Mod Team Leader. Each of these individuals would be responsible for overseeing their respectful sub-division. To carry the example further, let’s look at the ZH Team Leader. This person would be responsible for managing all of the zone’s ZH’s. He/She would conduct training, offer guidance, and so on and so forth.

Also to be found in the GTD would be the LMD operators, that is the TWD and TWL ops as well as the ops for any other miscellaneous leagues.

What do any of the staff members who belong to one of the various teams (be they a ZH, ER, LR or Mod) do if they have a question? What do they do if they need clarification on a rule? What do they do if they have ideas they’d like to be heard. They go-to the GTD. If you’re an ER and you don’t really know how to host an event, but you’d really like to give it a shot, well then you just go-to the GTD, most specifically your ER Team Leader, and you ask for help. Or what if you’re a ZH and you have an idea as to how we could improve TWD? Go-to the GTD, most specifically a TWD Op, and talk to them. (Now of course, one team leader may not be sufficient for those sub-divisions which may be quite large in size. You might want to have two, possibly three people overseeing all the ZH’s, same goes for the ER’s and Mod’s. That kind of thing is a detail that can be ironed out though.)

The GTD, as I have explained it thus far, seems to be a disparate group, one that doesn’t function as a single entity, but rather a switchboard of sorts. You go to the GTD, but then get switched over to the specific person you need to speak with. I would have the GTD carry an additional responsibility though. It would be responsible for acting as a liaison between individual members of the OCD and the upper echelons of staff, that is the Executive Division (which I will get to next). For instance, if a member of the OCD, let’s say an ER, really wants to get in touch with DoCk>, a honcho, he/she could relay his/her message through their team leader. This way you would keep the communication more streamlined, rather than having guy A talking to guy B who then talks to guy C who leaves a ?message for guy D asking him to speak with DoCk>. Yes, the GTD is a middle management, middle man of sorts. I think it’s a necessary body though. You wouldn’t simply want a bunch of different ER’s and/or ZH’s and/or Mod’s pestering the honchos from all different angles. That’s how things get messy in a hurry.
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Executive Division

The Executive Division (ED) would house those who are ultimately “in charge” in an overall manner of speaking. (Yes, I realize the abbreviation for Executive Division matches that of Erectile Dysfunction. Go figure.) You would have those individuals who have been around the block and then some belonging to this division, the guys with wisdom and patience, and yes, inactivity would be allowed here to an extent.

Honchos

Really, I would only place DoCk> and PriitK in this category at the moment, although I suppose you could toss in the likes of 2d and Ari. The honchos are just that, honchos. They are the end of the line in terms of how high up the food chain you can go. I would like to stress that I think the honchos should be left alone as much as possible. They should only be consulted when an issue is particularly serious, or when an idea is so extremely radical as to require their permission before it is acted upon.

This is where I also need to stress that we need to give a lot more free reign to various people along the way. Staff is where it’s at now because it’s a pain in the ass to get things through to the honchos. You would give your GTD members the okay to make decisions, without consulting the honchos. You would give them the power to put up maps and recycle bots and what have you. You would TRUST them. I know this is perhaps the toughest thing to tackle in terms of my proposal. It would be the most difficult thing to make happen. It absolutely has to happen though. DoCk>, you have to let some folks do their thing.

Advisors

Here is where I would put guys like Epi. They wouldn’t necessarily be directly involved in any one division. They wouldn’t have any one particular task to carry out. They would simply be there for advice. This goes back to the wisdom bit I spouted during the introduction of the ED. You round up the guys who have been around, the guys who know how to shit and get, and you keep them here. When the GTD is unsure of something, they can come to an advisor, or all of the advisors together, and ask for advice. Advisors wouldn’t be held to any sort of activity requirements. They wouldn’t be held to any sort of evaluation procedures. They’d just be super trusted, wise dudes who wouldn’t mind offering their opinion now and again.

Policy/Procedure Editors

Individuals belonging to this sub-division would be responsible for maintaining rules, regulations, procedures, policies, basically anything that needs to be written down for future reference. They would have to work closely with the GTD as well as the honchos, and of course it wouldn’t hurt for them to listen to the advisors.

I really think it would behoove us to have a group of people dedicated to making sure the rules are fair, well written and easily interpreted, as well as UPDATED. It makes sense to have a group of people who routinely look over the current procedures outlining what to do when this or that happens, making changes when and where necessary. These guys would have to be articulate, intelligent people capable of collecting the ideas/opinions/suggestions/advice/etc of their peers (GTD/honchos/advisors) and putting all of it into plain English. Notice, I’m not saying that they would be making the rules per say. They would simply evaluate the current crop of documents, and if they noticed a rule or procedure that seemed to be outdated, they would bring it to the attention of their peers. Once it had been talked over, they would then proceed to either modify or possibly even get rid of the rule/procedure.

Yeah, this might just be the most boring job ever, and it would probably be difficult to get volunteers to do it, but I think it’s a smart way of handling things. It sure beats having every other set of rules or procedures being cooked up and written by a different person.

I-b. Checks & Balances

Basically, no one person in a position to exert a substantial amount of power (thing like hiring and firing and what not) can act solely on his/her own, save for one of the honchos. Let me explain what I mean via an example. Let’s say the ZH Team Leader decides one of his ZH’s really sucks and needs to get the axe, and let’s say that evaluations (I’ll get to those eventually. I promise.) aren’t due for another two weeks. The ZH Team leader would be unable to simply axe the would-be-shitty ZH. He/she would first have to consult with the rest of his team. He/she would also be required to have a chat with his peers amongst the GTD, at least to let them know what’s going on. Once a decision has been made, as a GROUP mind you, then the ZH Team leader could act. The same goes for every other division/sub-division.

Expanding upon the above example, I would also make it so that each team leader is responsible for hiring new people into his/her team. Say you’re the ZH Team Leader, and you have a few openings. You would sift through your applications (I’ll get to those in detail later on when I discuss Hiring Policy.) and pick out a few candidates. You would then talk over those candidates with your current crop of ZH’s, as well as have a chat with your peers amongst the GTD. After you reach a decision, hire your new guys.

The most important part of the checks and balance system is the evaluation system I would put in place. I’ll be getting to that later on in this document, but I’ll briefly explain it to some extent here. In the above example in which the ZH Team Leader had to deal with a shitty ZH, I said that evaluations weren’t due for another two weeks. In a case such as that, then, and only then, would the ZH Team Leader have to do what I outlined. Otherwise, there would simply be routine (either bi-weekly or monthly) evaluations carried out, and you either pass your evaluation or corrective action is taken.

--- END COPY AND PASTE FROM MY WORD DOCUMENT ---
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

FYI, there are three other sections to the document that I have yet to write. I will be putting together a section on "Hiring Policy", one on "Evaluation Policy" and one on "Zone Development" as time allows.
      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

i support jase on this one

Comment

i think getting rid of cloakers would fix everything.
          Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
          apt>yes u can wtf
          apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
          apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
          apt>so i dont miss the toilet
          Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
          apt>na
          apt>ill show you pictures
          apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Looks good, Jason.
            G[y]Ro> omfg
            G[y]Ro> u nerds
            G[y]Ro> NERDS
            G[y]Ro> ALL OF U

Comment

I have a few questions regarding general feasability. I'll probably ask some of them in game, but here are a few.

It seems that these divisions would be just that, divisions. The particular responsibilities and powers -seem- (I haven't read an actual separation) to be quite singular.

I am wondering if any staffers would be able to overstep their boundaries if needed. Say, not enough LRs showed up during a certain time slot. Could a Mod or an ER take their place? If not, wouldn't this system require an enourmous amount of competent people to run smoothly?

I do support the separation of powers though, I think it makes each person's job easier and detracts from the confusion normal players have with staff.

Also, some clarification. The Advisory council would have no direct power? Are they really a part of the ED then? The policy council I think should also be below the GTD. This way, they are forced to respond according to the desires of the community that are passed up through lower staff and relayed by the GTD members. They will also be unable to create contradictory rules than requested by the GTD because they will be lower in rank.
              Last edited by Project; 01-03-2005, 02:24 AM.
              1:koan> indy is like being skinny and liking weird music
              1:tRICERATOPS> just a bunhc of faggots is all being indy is
              1:koan> we cant talk about this infront of castro
              1:koan> he's going to see this and be like WTFZ im a skinny vegeterian white dude with selective music tastes

Comment

I'm liking what I see so far Jason. I have a couple questions, but I'll wait till the other 3 sections are finished
                Originally posted by turmio
                jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                Originally posted by grand
                I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

I totally agree with you about the ZH's.
                  Robohelp sure is a handy gift, but I prefer a personal approach...ZH's should be selected by there qualities as a helpful person, not as one who can type commands really fast -_-
                  I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Looks good to me so far.

And as cundor already said, I also prefer a lot more the personal help than some robot telling me what to do.

Keep up the good work!
                    o!p

Now Playing: Tenchi Muyo - I'm a Pioneer
                    http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/tenchi/imapioneer.htm

Comment

this is like the 3th tread already about Trench Wars is bad, mods are inactive, Dock> this, dock> that, smod this, smod that, P_L this, P_L that. If you think Trench Wars is sooo bad go play another zone like Extreme Games. Just stop the whining. jeez
                      help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

Jappeuuh, don't be a fucking moron.

Comment

this seems like a very good idea

RE: advisors - this obviously sounds cool, because it comes across in the document that this is what you would want to be, but there's the issue of integration of advisor statements into the current state of things. if there's no pressure on an advisor to do anything, really, but their opinion is regarded as ultimate truth, then you're going to have a discontinuity in terms of how the advisor thinks things work vs. how they actually work as they are changed. you'd also have a problem with difference of opinion between advisors. this position has to be thought out in greater detail

RE: policy/procedure editors - yes, getting volunteers for this might be difficult, but i can't imagine it would be impossible. i'd do it
                          Originally posted by Ward
                          OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

That post wasn't long enough for my taste, Jason.
                            Reclusion
                            "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

cool idea, but please rename the OCD and ED groups

Comment

Working...
                              X