A Need for Some Clarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Need for Some Clarity

Since it seems that when I use ?help to ask questions, not only do I get an answer from someone who doesn't know the answer, my question has yet to be answered.

So let me dissect my problem:

- I lagout reguarly in BDs without what anyone would call "bad" lag. (100ping no ploss)

-I don't lagout in go base OR JDs.

I am wondering why this is, from someone who has a clue. Thanks
    The song doesn't make your hands clap,
    The hand claps make the song

Generally for a BD your computer will have to be processing more information as there is a lot more going on on your screen. This can cause your computer to lag behind slightly causing you to lag out for either a spike or maybe ploss.

Also the BD tileset is a little more "intense" than the one used in ?go base (It may possibly be 32-bit or 16bit instead of the 256 colors used by default (I may be wrong, I'm on my computer without much Continuum access so I can't really check this, basically the default tileset quality supported by SSME is either 256 or 16-bit and the tileset quality that can be used in Continuum is either 24-bit or 32-bit). I think the ?go base tileset is the higher quality causing your computer to need to process more info. On my old old PC (250MHz :up I would get DCd when joining a BD arena as it would take my PC too long to load it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I like brackets.
    Last edited by Ewan; 02-22-2005, 07:47 PM.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Follow the instructions here first http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=15269. The TWD arenas probably has different lag caps, for example I believe the max ploss in public is at 12% but for TWD I think it's 2%. I don't have all the figures but I know there are some differences.

Just recentlly staff put in a 'ping spike cap'. From what I gather that does not mean your current ping, ploss or anything visable but the maximum you can spike to. If I've got it all wrong, could a mod,Smod or sysop please explain it. I think the spike limit for TWL and ?go base is at 90 right now.

Comment

Usually it says I'm violating some spike thing, but I don't hear the "OMG you lag" comments from people like those who lag cheat do.

But if the limits are the same for TWL (and i'm assuming TWD) and go base, why is there only a problem in TWD.

My computer can handle the tilesets, that's not the prob.
        Last edited by PUNK rock; 02-22-2005, 08:06 PM.

Comment

the lag limit between twbd and ?go base is very different
          twbd is a lot more strict then base
          and like wat those said.. everyone lags more during bds than jds/dds
          1 + 1 = 1

Comment

also, make sure u turn off any programs that arent your ISP or SS during BDs. the more programs u have running, the more your PC has to do at once, so the less it will actually get done. main things to turn off are any downloads / MSN or music players
            04.07.05 08:59

Comment

Oh yea, forgot the lag limits are different too, lol.
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
              ---A few minutes later---
              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
              9:Kim> UM
              9:Kim> i didn't
              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Nethila
                twbd is a lot more strict then base
                and like wat those said.. everyone lags more during bds than jds/dds
                Yes, I figured as much for the difference between go base and twbd. What I thought however was that since there is more lag in twbd than jd/dd, the lag limit was higher.

Another point I'm trying to make is that whatever is calculating spikes is not working well. I do not appear jumpy or eat shots more than anyone else.

Yes, I know to turn other programs off.

Comment

Working...
                X