Pub Timed Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stabwound
    It's just a test so far. I agree that there are a lot of things that could be done to make it better. Let's brainstorm some suggestions.

1) Weasels need to be restricted: Javs hardly even get x-radar anymore in pubs, and it's almost impossible to defend against a ton of these guys. It's even worse because all they have to do is touch the flag once and you have to start all over.

2) Needs to be better, clear directions: Currently it's just a simple green message that really says nothing to help a new player. I think score/time updates at a regular basis would help also. An LVZ with a scoreboard would go a long way in helping with this.

3) Some kind of incentive for winning: I think it would be best if the bot recorded the individual players points/kills/deaths/time-played etc. and gave them a bonus dependant on these things. Of course the winning team should all get a bonus, but you should get even more for good performance in the game. These bot-stored stats should reset if the player specs or changes freqs, to deter people from just hopping to the winning frequency.

4) A way to handle teamkillers: Perhaps a limit should be imposed on the number of javelins allowed per team. Something should be done to keep sharks from mining or tking stupidly also, so maybe just use the simple TK-watch module that locks a player in spectator mode after too many teamkills.

5) The time-based flagging system: I'm not sure if the current time-based system is right. I was thinking that instead of it resetting when the other team gets the flag, it should just be a cumulative amount of time that the team needs to get total, which would be similar to base/twbd/twlb. It would make a lot more sense, as well as give players an easier time in transferring their skills from pub to twbd etc.

All in all, I've been fighting for something like this for a long time. This is going to go a long way in making the pubs more fun, and revitalizing the rotting basing scene. Even in it's current basic state, it makes the pub more fun and exciting already.
    1)ya spider and lanc should have x-radar they are defending ships.

2)ya teams should get spawned to safezones after game ends and then small break so players could do whatever they want example 3 min. and after that 10sec wait in clsoed safezone and then spawn to both ears.

3)ya some bonus score for MVP of the round and some bonus for winner team. and yes scores on website

4) 3javs per team 2 or 3 sharks 2 terriers and if team doesnt have enought sharks or even 1 ter it would msg to teamchat or green that freq doesnt have enought <sharks> and yes if someone tk too much in some time it would automatically get switched to spider.

5)it should be timerace to 10 or 5 and between rounds 3min wait.
    www.BasingCrew.com

Comment

Originally I didn't like this idea, and I have my reasons, but as long as you keep this down to a few arenas excluding the exsisting Pure Pubs then its cool.
      "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
      • Shark
      • Dicer
      • Sager
      • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

I don't see any down side as long as it's not every pub.

cool idea, might make new people understand the point in basing.
        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

What's a base?
          Originally posted by Tone
          It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
          Originally posted by the_paul
          Gargle battery acid fuckface
          Originally posted by Material Girl
          I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

I've seen this in other zones, maybe not exactly the same thing, but it might work well here.

everytime someone tks, the bot should print a green arena message "Ship changing *whoever* for tking" and change that person to a different ship. This would give an idea to everyone who's tking on purpose or is it just accidental. Although this could be a problem to sharks who mine near the fr entrance.

Comment

The way the new pubbot module was explained to me, TKing won't be an issue. It appears to be a big improvement over the previous version we had running, which will now take accidental TKs into consideration, to a degree.

But again, it hasn't been tested yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AnidaLife
                I've seen this in other zones, maybe not exactly the same thing, but it might work well here.

everytime someone tks, the bot should print a green arena message "Ship changing *whoever* for tking" and change that person to a different ship. This would give an idea to everyone who's tking on purpose or is it just accidental. Although this could be a problem to sharks who mine near the fr entrance.
                it should be some system that example 5tks in 1min and shipchange or something and then sharks would learn not to mine at stupid spots
                www.BasingCrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                  Took a year but I finally convinced them to make this bot. -_-

I haven't tried it yet, but trust me, it will be friggin' awesome if it works out right. This is really what TW has been lacking. Props to qan for actually doing this.
                  sounds great!

change has been slow but it has kept going over the years, from blocking holes to adding guanobot (before pure pub weekends) to tinkering with the levi and weasel, this seems like a step in the right direction, especially since other zones pubs are way ahead of us.
                  top 100 basers list

Comment

I agree with BZ, it's a great way to get people into basing. I don't like the flag touch idea so much, timed would be alittle more effective. Thanks goes out to Stab for the idea, and qan for makin it happen.

1:Aerin> o shit have u guys seen the penis with a dragon tatooed to it?

1:X-sTa-C> OMG! thats sooo... AZN!
                    1:MILOS> LOL
                    1:Kapuchin> lol

2:zidane> i played maplestory :(
                    2:zidane> i had like two level 80 +
                    2:X-sTa-C> omg... this chat just started eating dick

:4:KoZ> gotta go eat my chittlins now be back later
                    :4:X-sTa-C> Koz, don't lie
                    :4:X-sTa-C> You know you're also eating watermelon and chicken...

Comment

i just played a few games.. and it seems to run great at the moment...

strange, because ?go base was empty too..
                      04.07.05 08:59

Comment

I believe there is another issue here: freq hoppers, and uneven (like, 9 vs 13 style) teams. Now, if the smaller team has better people of course uneven teams isn't a problem. But I find that rarely happens, they usually get to frustrated at their crappy team and change pub, or freq hop.
                        As a solution I suggest a bot that, when teams are uneven, gives a warning and if teams to not even out, changes the highest scoring player (or he who dies first after the final warning) to the smaller team, thus giving the weaker team a player and skill boost.
                        People who play for bounty/rec will not like this. Screw them I say.
                        I suggested something like this to qan, but he said he would like them to be more fluid (ie people can still change teams or priv if they like), and that locked teams wouldn't go down well. I agree, there is no need to lock them, but when they get too uneven something needs to be done.

Originally posted by Disliked
                        Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                        +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Make the arena populations smaller.

I've suggested that for years, and I still think it will benefit the zone especially in these timed arenas.

With smaller arenas, teams will be smaller and when they are uneven it won't be as big of a factor; 9 vs 13 is tough, but 6 vs 9 is doable. Smaller teams also means fewer bombs which means fewer teamkills. With fewer ships flying around the base it'll be less congested and more space will give people a chance to use more skills. Even in the regular pubs, smaller teams will mean fewer levis per arena, not just from the direct reduction in arena size but also from a smaller pool of potential targets. There have been many changes over the years in settings and maps, but I feel that one change that has a wide range of benefits and that would be very easy to adopt with minimal tinkering, is to just reduce the arena sizes by 5 or 6. Even in an ideal situation where everyone in the arena is basing, a 15 on 15 base battle would be much too crowded.

Comment

pub timed matches is another idea that has the official aproval of schope.
                            8:I Hate Cookies> a gota dágua foi quando falei q eu tinha 38 anos e estava apaixonado por uma garota, mas a família dela n deixava agente namorar
                            8:I Hate Cookies> aí quando todo mundo me apoiou falando q o amor supera tudo, falei q a garota tinha 12 anos
                            8:I Hate Cookies> aí todos mudaram repentinamente de opinião falando q eu era um pedófilo
                            8:AnImoL> esses amigos falsos
                            8:SCHOPE NORRIS> o amor supera tudo. da até pra esperar a puberdade
                            8:I Hate Cookies> sim... fiquei desiludido schope...

Comment

I like TK, he thinks of interesting things that are also great ideas, that no-one else would ever think of...

Originally posted by Disliked
                              Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                              +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                                Make the arena populations smaller.

I've suggested that for years, and I still think it will benefit the zone especially in these timed arenas.

With smaller arenas, teams will be smaller and when they are uneven it won't be as big of a factor; 9 vs 13 is tough, but 6 vs 9 is doable. Smaller teams also means fewer bombs which means fewer teamkills. With fewer ships flying around the base it'll be less congested and more space will give people a chance to use more skills. Even in the regular pubs, smaller teams will mean fewer levis per arena, not just from the direct reduction in arena size but also from a smaller pool of potential targets. There have been many changes over the years in settings and maps, but I feel that one change that has a wide range of benefits and that would be very easy to adopt with minimal tinkering, is to just reduce the arena sizes by 5 or 6. Even in an ideal situation where everyone in the arena is basing, a 15 on 15 base battle would be much too crowded.
                                Agreed, but the stipulation was that there would not be any changes made to settings. And I believe if you change one pub size, you change them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X