No announcement yet.

Racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because you think its ok, soupero, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt others. Take yourself out of your own scenario there and think about other people.

Comment

God, since when NIGE is illegal word - ban the player who uses that nick before banning players who say that "word".
      megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
      L K> taught u what?
      megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
      9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
      9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

Originally posted by tahkis
        God, since when NIGE is illegal word - ban the player who uses that nick before banning players who say that "word".
        yea, u cant say n** but there is a player with the name NIGe, cmon ppl that does not make any sense.

Barton> ?find NIGe
        Not online, last seen 15 hours ago
        SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
        SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
        Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
        Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
        1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
        1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Nige, its his fucking name. And it hasn't got anything to do with racism.

He has never called himself NIGe as far as I remember.

Comment

it would be the same if somebody uses

nigg and than if he became <er>

nigg<er>

:fear:

Comment

nige = nigel exept the name was already taken so he called himself nige
              2:Cig Smoke> why u challengin me to a duel
              2:Cig Smoke> When i clearly am better
              2:Miksel> becouse you think you great
              2:Cig Smoke> how many titles have u won
              2:Cig Smoke> im guessin 0
              2:Cig Smoke> thdx
              2:Miksel> elim 3
              2:Cig Smoke> lol elim
              2:Morgane> LOL
              2:Enflame> haha
              2:Cig Smoke> IM TALKIN ABOUT TWL

Comment

nige = rappaport, call him that next time you see him.

Comment

Originally posted by soupero
                  it would be the same if somebody uses

nigg and than if he became <er>

nigg<er>

:fear:
                  No, it wouldnt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuukunen
                    Long post, so many people will just skip over this... oh well...

Here are some thoughts:

-If a guy is in Chaos and he's in a chat with all TW people. And he starts shouting racism in there, will he get banned? Will he get a warning? Will he get a warning/ban when he comes to tw? What if only few people are from TW? What if he continues doing this for months?

-From what I've seen, racism must be the most popular ban these days. Everytime I hear someone got banned, I ask what for, and get answered: "racism". I honestly don't remember when I last heard racism, but I hear ABOUT racism every day. It's like this thing everyone talks about.

-Even on these forums, people have censored themselves and the forum automatically censors the words. Is the word "******" really the worst word of the world? Is just saying it in a context it can't even be mistaken to be some sort of insult bad? Why do I hear it on TV all the time? What about internet? Should you start sending angry emails to wikipedia for having this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****** ? Maybe they should've censored it, like the tw forums do. (If you didn't get what I'm talking about, "******" is "nigg er".)

-If the thing is that people find it offensive, why don't we just ban everything offensive. At least in Finland there's this law about insults. You can get 2 years of prison for a really bad insult. (This mostly means using media for spreading false information that really bothers the target though.) If guy A follows guy B around constantly spamming him with insults, and guy A really finds that offensive, why shouldn't B be quickly banned with no questions asked? Just because the insults aren't racism or discrimination? But if B accidentally says one of the "forbidden" words, off you go! It almost feels like some staff are using racism as a sort of an excuse for banning annoying people.

TK: "Just look at the example of the kindergarten student mouthing off to the teacher. A kid might just say "fuck" because he knows it's taboo. Does that mean that the best course is to let him continue to say it to his teacher? That's not a realistic solution in that scenario, and it isn't a realistic solution here either."

First of all, as usual, that allegory sucks. (As usual meaning most allegories.) I think the reason grown ups can say fuck and kids can't is that grown ups can decide for themselves if they choose to say fuck or not. People in TW aren't all kids, (mostly?) so maybe they can decide for themselves what they can and can't say. And if you're afraid there are too many kids playing will get bad influence, maybe we should ban the word fuck too.

Actually, I think the word fuck and other swear words only have shock effect because they are taboo. In the long run I think it would be a good thing to let children all over the world to say "fuck" all they want, it would be a good thing to have the tension of breaking the taboo removed.

Still of the word "fuck"... Afaik, there are people who find swear words rather offensive, so why are they allowed? They don't really bring anything positive.

Finally, in my personal oppinion, it should be "anything goes". Yes, people might take offense on something, but this is internet, if you get really really offended by something, it's about time to learn to ignore assholes. I'm not talking about ?ignore, but if some idiot is calling you fag or anything for no reason, you know how worthless his comments are. Why would you let him piss you off? I mean if he pisses you off, he succeeds in what he was trying to do. Over the internet you will always run to people who are enjoying the joys of anonymity and trying to piss off as much people as they can. I think it would be better for the whole community that people would be exposed fully to all that so they can finally develop some asshole-filters.

Edit: http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/ozwords/A.../Swearing.html
                    Search for "most offensive word". Apparently that is now outdated and ****** really IS ranked the most offensive word of English language ahead of fuck and cunt (which aren't banned here or even censored), but I'm just reminding you it hasn't always been like that.
                    ?Obscene is always on when you first enter the arena. So automatically it's blocked from the start. However one can turn that filter off and see all the "obscene" text by simply typing ?Obscene .

Saying swear words is like saying "the," it isn't as offensive as it would be if one were to use a racial slur; hence why we don't ban ppl who say it. Racial/ethnic discrimination is what we ban, no matter who it's against. It's all about context, in which these words are used. Again, swear words aren't as offensive as racial/ethnic slurs because saying "fuck" isn't showing discrimination against a race, ethnicity, or religion.
                    Last edited by Asmodeus; 08-03-2005, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I actively warn/ban people who discriminate (this means against homosexuals too) and will continue to do so until I'm told I shouldn't.
                      EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
                      cool koen> :)
                      PRiMORDiAL> pfft
                      cool koen> not because of a bug
                      EvoLd> Lol
                      Treachery> meh
                      EvoLd> why then?
                      PubAceR> women in power dont last
                      EvoLd> LOl
                      toaster oven reviews

Comment

You're quite sensitive about homosexuals, I notice

hey ban NL>Trigger because you can make out the naughty n-word out of it ahhaehahha

Comment

Originally posted by Dim
                          I actively warn/ban people who discriminate (this means against homosexuals too) and will continue to do so until I'm told I shouldn't.
                          so if someone dies and then says "gay", you warn them?

Comment

Originally posted by NaiLed
                            so if someone dies and then says "gay", you warn them?
                            I hope so :P
                            SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                            SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                            Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                            Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                            1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                            1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Hey, remember when this thread brought something fresh and original to the whole racism issue?

Yeah, me neither. This has all been done before. Get the stick out of your ass and fly your spaceship.
                              Originally posted by Tone
                              It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                              Originally posted by the_paul
                              Gargle battery acid fuckface
                              Originally posted by Material Girl
                              I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by Kuukunen

You can report obsessive racism to SSC Ops for chats and if someone is changing names to get around your ignore list. I think Netbans should be use if SSC staff is not going moderating their services. You can do what they want with your proerity and with your own life/time if it does not effect others, my opinion. TW Staff has decide not to allow racism because it's wrong to think and believe that way. This can be an opinion or a truth for some people, it's really an opinion about human nature.

This is not about removing offensive words, I don't like the fact that fuck and other swear words are on the obscene list but Racism and cursing are completely different subjects.
                                Last edited by Kolar; 08-04-2005, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X