A few thoughts from an old timer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few thoughts from an old timer....

Just stopped by to see how things are. I see there are still some people playing from my days and wanted to get an update on the happenings. Personally I made a small attempt to come back a few months back but just never had the time to get back to where I was. I tell you what, its frustrating when your last memories of playing were winning and being an "elite" , only to come back and feel like your starting over. The only way to describe it would be trying to run in sand when your used to running on cement. I did notice a few things during my return.

Respect for the older vets seems to be at a low. Not a lot of the newer players have any clue about the players who helped start the zone and who were legends in thier time. Sure a lot of people know about Epinephrine, Fieryfire and Jack. But thats because they either play or come in and hang around. Do many still know about NCrawler, Live-Wire , Childrn of Light , Childrn of Dark, Phalanx, Haus , Revt ,Flyzone , CoT Dawnerz , TOFU etc...? I don't know if it would be possible to do. But I would love to see a "Hall of Fame" type page to honor those who acheived greatness in one form or another during thier time in the game. Now technical aspect of criteria would be tricky I admit, But if someone or a group of someones put it together it would be pretty cool. I know Epi has the History of Trench which is awesome, but still lacking.

I was also surprised by how much the zone has grown while I was gone. When I left, there were no bots, no automatic Tourny and definately no Twld arenas. Getting a ref to host a tourny was hard and was a very special thing. When a deathmatch was called it almost always had the best players on playing in it and winning it was considered a big deal. ALso, back then loyalty and friendship was huge and typically squads lasted a lot longer then I have seen recently. It seems now theres enough good players for multiple strong squads but everyone gravitates towards one..then it dissolves and another rises..it dissolves and another rises etc. I think twld would be way more fun and competitive if people typically stayed with the one squad. Then REAL rivalries can form which makes for more intense games and more fun.

Well, thats the end of that Ramble..till next post...

Adrenaline
    Elusive forever

Yay it's Adren! Long time no see buddy!
    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
    www.animeslice.com

Comment

I remember all of those names but i haven't seen any of them in awhile (year or more in pub) Yes lots of good people and great pilots made this game great
      sigpic

Comment

ooooo :wub:

Comment

=)

I think a Hall of Fame would be awesome. Great Idea ^-^

Comment

Hi DOA! Why don't you make some kind of "hall of fame" page yourself? I'm sure they would link it to the main trenchwars page. I don't really think it would impact the respect for certain older players though because the respect we used to have back in 1999-2001 was because the community was smaller and we all knew each other. Regardless, I'd still love to read about players I only vaguely knew or heard of; Tofu for example. First elim I ever played in 1999 came down to me and Tofu (I had no idea who he was at the time) and I ended up beating him. Of course I seriously doubt he was trying hard as this was right before he left TW :grin:

Comment

Welcome back
              Quoting is the highest form of flattery ...

The mouth that holds the tongue that rocks your world... rules the world

PjOtTeR> I should change my name to horny gypsy humper

saying Goddess name is like saying Voldemort in the Harry Potter World. She-who-must-not-be-named is fucking Taboo

Comment

Hey!

Hey DOA! long time since I heard from you. I have to say you and epi were my best leaders. I think a TW hall of fame would be awesome, but I think it would be ahrd to say who gets in and who is deserving. I would say DOA, Epi, and CoL are first time ballots winners. Scrotal should be there 2 just cause i think hes an awesome person, but I dont think he will get many more votes. I been playing since this game was beta, then went out and bought the game. I have the cd and booklet somewhere. I remember all the great squads than use to play in this zone. But I'm finished have fun DOA and hope you are doing well

elim killer!

Comment

Hi adren, I'm an old timer too

A retired veteran if you will
                  http://www.azimux.com FREE web-based strategy game

Comment

O gee thanks sir elim (both literally and sarcastically haha). I do happen to be worshipped by many ya know lolz.

Hello again Adrenaline....I talked to you just the other day, so I will cherish that moment as well. Awesome post....I agree with everything you said. Now copy and paste that post to my "state of -Legacy-" thread because I am locked in a death-grip struggle with the noobs as we speak.....need help.....cant hold out.....much..... ::static::
                    The Scrotal Master
                    "Master of Scrotal Matters"
                    "Harbringer of d00m!"

now appearing as ::drumroll::
                    box turtle

http://www.cafepress.com/historicemblems

Comment

Heya!

There's the History book section in TWL page, which kinda works as a Hall of Fame page of TW. Well, I doesn't show the LAME members or some other veterans who weren't in TW Elites, Elusive or Siege at that time since they didn't win any leagues, but there are many of the names you mentioned.

Edit: Here's a link http://twl.trenchwars.org/index.php?...l&page=history
                      Regency> not in for dd lol
                      Regency> would rather eat some cock ;<

Comment

Originally posted by Dant-Zu
                        Heya!

There's the History book section in TWL page, which kinda works as a Hall of Fame page of TW. Well, I doesn't show the LAME members or some other veterans who weren't in TW Elites, Elusive or Siege at that time since they didn't win any leagues, but there are many of the names you mentioned.

Edit: Here's a link http://twl.trenchwars.org/index.php?...l&page=history

It also doesnt show the Scrotal's Horde!! season 2 TWDL championship or our season 3 runner-up or Elusive's season 3 championship or anyone else who won TWDL, TWBL, and TWJL. Alot of elite squads and players go unrecognized for their accomplishments. For instance, Cripples is totally unrecognized for their domination of basing for many months in 2000 and 2001. Not that I care about basing, but there needs to be an asterisk next to the early seasons of TWL when it was a wb only league saying "note: Cripples would have won" or something like that. Or maybe an asterisk next to Siege's Season 3 TWL title that reads "note: Siege got thumped by Elusive in its last chance to take the number #1 spot from said Elusive in the same season for TWDL, and as a result didn't get to play in the TWDL Championship game, which was equally if not more popular than TWL at this point in time."

Anyways that's just my 2 cents worth....and if I can do well on my LSAT in 4 hours and get into a good law school, I think I might be available to work for TW and write out these long-winded disclaimers....like the kind you would see on the back of your hairdryer saying something like "DISCLAIMER: we are not liable for your ass getting fried if you act-a-fool and try to blowdry your hair in the bathtub."
                        The Scrotal Master
                        "Master of Scrotal Matters"
                        "Harbringer of d00m!"

now appearing as ::drumroll::
                        box turtle

http://www.cafepress.com/historicemblems

Comment

Uhh, to think of it you're absolutely right Scrot. There's no Cripples, no Whiterabbits and no Onix in there, which all were good when they were around. :fear:
                          Regency> not in for dd lol
                          Regency> would rather eat some cock ;<

Comment

I miss seeing whiterabbits around. It was always fun seeing a couple people from those squads participating in games and such. Same with Cripples.

I don't know any of these newfangled squads that are up now, just the old ones.
                            I really do like pie

Aos> im a freelance Gynecologist

GHB>I AM ANGRY ON THE INTERNETf

Matchbot1> You can't challenge your own squad, silly :P

Comment

As time goes by...

Keep in mind that this is a "living" game, and, in addition to newer players not respecting vets (mostly cause they don't know any better), vets mock newbs at an all-time high. Keep in mind that balance of recycling old players for new when you talk about a lack of respect. It goes both ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X