No announcement yet.

1st Proposed Public Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea is to find a compromise. Without it, Publics will die. This means the zone will too, due to a lack of competition, which has already been noticeable in not just the last TWLB, but LD and LJ too. As more players leave this zone (and SS for that matter) both Pure Publics and Non-Pure Publics will be squeezed and eventually there will be nothing happening in any arena. If I was you guys, I would be jumping up and down to try and find a compromise between the two. LTing and Basing are fun. Done both. I think now, and it seems funny saying this, but Basers and LTers need each other, but somewhere, something has to change.

Regardless of what we do, someone will always complain. The new map sucks, or the Leviathan is too weak etc etc. We need a solution that will least drive away players, but increase competition in the zone, otherwise, we may not have a zone.
    "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
    • Shark
    • Dicer
    • Sager
    • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

Revert the levi to the settings before this change.

Using the very sucessfull Octobase event as model. why not only allow one levi per freq. Only the highest scoring player can use the levi.

Problem solved

Increases competativeness of basing as people want to capture the flag to get enough points to be the levi. Still allows LTing. Obvously private freq would be disabled in the pubs with a single levi per freq limit.

1 levi will not destroy a flag room as long as you have 1 shark that can repel the levi bullets. I've defended a flag room as a shark pretty easily from LTs, you know where they are gonna shoot its just a matter of waiting and reping the bombs

Another alternative which no one will try is to put the timer in all the pubs the only reason pub 0 is so popular is because of the timer.
      Last edited by Doc Flabby; 09-28-2006, 06:23 AM.
      Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
      Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Flabby View Post
        Another alternative which no one will try is to put the timer in all the pubs the only reason pub 0 is so popular is because of the timer.
        I agree that a timer should be in all pubs, but that's not the reason the first pub is so popular. All you have to do is look back before timed games, back to guanobot even. That pub was just as popular then as it is now, actually more popular. At least back then you could catch a few decent basers in there.

Also, how about instead of criticizing the levi settings (that I know most of you bitching didn't even try out yet) wait for them to be done being tested? They haven't even been tried in a timed match yet which is where they will end up being if these settings go through.
        (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

Originally posted by Ayden View Post
          Guys
          I can truly appreciate the fact that you are trying some different things to help or change TW. If you compare our player numbers to those of other zones you will note that TW continues to have the best player support of any zone. DSB used to be a very strong zone but with the many changes they made and their weak leadership the zone is almost dead.

The Levi settings that we have used are close to 8 years old. there have been times in the past when the Lev was altered for one reason or another but was always changed back to more or less the original. The recent changes to the Levi basically neutered the ship thereby making one of the most popular games within the game null and void. Many people love the LT and many other people love to hunt the LT. With the ship sitting where it is now that part of the game is basically dead. We have pub arena's where people can "pure base" with no levs allowed, but the other arenas that have allowed Lt's and the Levi also have a very popular following. It is my understanding that this "commitee" is made up of mostly pure base people who may or may not totally understand the apeal of the original Levi, but that is no reason to go and rip the heart and soul out of TW.

Many of us worked very hrd fine tuning settings developing TW and things like staffing structure, rules, elim ect. and to take part of the game and reduce it to nothing seems like a slap in the face to everyone who has worked so hard to make TW the best it can be. I find it somewhat ironic that we call the arena's without the lev "pure basing" when in fact the Levi has been a part of the TW heritage since day 1.

What i am basically saying is change the Levi back to what it was and keep a seperate arena for pure basing and lets all continue to enjoy the parts of the game that each individual likes best.

Respectfully,

Ayden
          I couldn't agree more.

-calm

Comment

Guys
            I can truly appreciate the fact that you are trying some different things to help or change TW. If you compare our player numbers to those of other zones you will note that TW continues to have the best player support of any zone. DSB used to be a very strong zone but with the many changes they made and their weak leadership the zone is almost dead.

The Levi settings that we have used are close to 8 years old. there have been times in the past when the Lev was altered for one reason or another but was always changed back to more or less the original. The recent changes to the Levi basically neutered the ship thereby making one of the most popular games within the game null and void. Many people love the LT and many other people love to hunt the LT. With the ship sitting where it is now that part of the game is basically dead. We have pub arena's where people can "pure base" with no levs allowed, but the other arenas that have allowed Lt's and the Levi also have a very popular following. It is my understanding that this "commitee" is made up of mostly pure base people who may or may not totally understand the apeal of the original Levi, but that is no reason to go and rip the heart and soul out of TW.

Many of us worked very hrd fine tuning settings developing TW and things like staffing structure, rules, elim ect. and to take part of the game and reduce it to nothing seems like a slap in the face to everyone who has worked so hard to make TW the best it can be. I find it somewhat ironic that we call the arena's without the lev "pure basing" when in fact the Levi has been a part of the TW heritage since day 1.

What i am basically saying is change the Levi back to what it was and keep a seperate arena for pure basing and lets all continue to enjoy the parts of the game that each individual likes best.

Respectfully,

Ayden
            I totally agree with Ayden, changing the settings on the lev's blast radius and damage dealt make it an entirely different kind of game for LTers... I honestly see no point in lev terring anymore, regardless if the ship restrictions in pure pubs are removed. All the shots on the outside of the base that hit upper tube, flagroom sides, etc, will get much fewer kills than before, making those parts of the map which are only useful for LT's (and weasels ) pretty much useless. This leaves midbase levterring and FR bombing from the roof, which are both hotspots especially in the 2 frequency arena... Trying to bounty a leviathan with reduced blast radius and increased hunting from the opposing team seems pretty futile. Why even bother LTing with a lowered blast radius in an arena where very little basing is going on (IE one of the lower pubs)?
            I think the settings on the levi should remain how they have been for years, especially the blast radius and damage dealt. I love to LT, and people love to hunt me and the other LT addicts, and I can honestly say that the settings the way they are now will remove that aspect of trenchwars, or at least dumb it down drastically. Basers who hate levs can have their pure pubs, and everyone else can have the lower pubs

-Dr. Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Mootland Farmer View Post
              The idea is to find a compromise. Without it, Publics will die. This means the zone will too, due to a lack of competition, which has already been noticeable in not just the last TWLB, but LD and LJ too.
              Talking out of your ass somewhat. LD had 3 squads 6-4 in one conference, and 4 squads all with a hope of making it in the final week in the other conference. LB had some pretty decent playoff races as well..but LJ is really not competitive. You can credit this to the lack of interest in baseelim, javs, javduel, etc. The problem REALLY wont be seen for another year or two probably, where like you said people will move on to the real world and there will be less people playing this game in general, and no newer generation to replace people

Edit: levterrs really need to quit whining about this change..the radius is plenty big to score kills without clearing flagroom every 3rd second
              I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
              I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Guys

Respectfully,

Ayden
                agreed.
                i tested those settings for a few days now, seems good for baselevs(for those who remember what that was) defending from midbase attackers, since there is way less teamkills and you need more aim/can shoot walls without being scared to tk half of your team. but bombing roof from the inside for defense is useless, also the surprise effect of the fast incoming levi bomb is gone, you dont have to move far away from it anymore to survive, you dont have to defend against levi attackers from roof anymore, even from midbase they dont hurt much anymore. the idea of a heavy bomber is gone with that. i dont think LTs kill basing since i have seen years in which levis were a very common thing inside of the base, there was always at least one, and it still worked perfectly. it still would if there wasnt only a maximum of 5 people in base most of the time that you can kill with one bomb. the ideas of a bigger pub and of putting the timing bot into the real pubs (those who have all ships allowed) is a good idea for a more crowded base and wont hurt anyone. and even though i love to fly the small weasel i think making it big, a LITTLE bit slower, constantly cloaked with a repel and a rocket like ages ago and for that take away the lancs radar would help basing and with that LTs would not eradicate a whole basing team with one shot. if those changes will stay i predict even more people will be bored and annoyed of basing since it would be like ?go base. the same shiptypes always doing the exact same thing, one freq on the inside, the other freq on the outside of flagroom entrance shooting til someone wins. and some LTs on privates shooting just this one spot annoying the others. result = less basing, more spawning, more complaining, less population.

L O V E

Comment

A Warm Fuzzy

I got a really good warm fuzzy feeling today that I haven't had in the game in a LONG time. Here is what happened:

I was in the test pub spidering and there were 2 complete first timers on my team. They didn't know how anything worked, and they were asking questions in chat. No one was answering. It seemed like most of the people there were fairly new, so I started answering questions for them and they seemed to really enjoy learning about the game.

When was the last time I did that for newbies? It was before the pure pub bots came out. Ever since then, I have only pubbed in pure pub, and the newbies always get dumped into a regular arena, so I never see them.

I may have helped a couple of newcomers get into the game and stay with us for a while. I don't think that happens much anymore because of having different kinds of pubs.

Let's not forget that this scenario is a large part of the reason we need to make changes to pub. I feel it's very important to unify the pubs once again, and this is a perfect example of why I feel that way.

Comment

PURE pub

Keep it PURE PUB
                    God promises tomorrow to noone

Comment

• I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but--

Was it really necessary to change bombs/mines/icons.bm2 to hide the fact that the lev now has L2 bombs? I had all those customized, so now when I go in pub I'm disoriented seeing stuff that's the wrong color and all. If you're going to make such a large change to a ship as to alter its entire role, it seems strange to go to the length of a modified lvz to preserve the aesthetic. I wouldn't mind a yellow bomb, and if I did I could go and change it myself--but forcing everyone to use these files is pretty lame.
                      FREE MANDELA

Comment

• Stultus
                        STFU newbie fucking retard.
                        If I were you, I would Seriously consider Suicide as a viable Option !

Comment

• KEEP the LEVI's old settings! DO not decrease the prox on the blast !
                          sigpic

Comment

• I know lets change the lev bmp to a nice fluffy bunny so ppl won't shoot at it {well maybe the rednecks will for food} and when it greens up give it fangs so ppl know its time to kill it {I think I can actually do this btw} then make the terr look like a hawk so it looks like its carrying the bunny away {I know I can do this} and then make the weasle look like hmm wth make it look like a little rat cause thats what it acts like anyway. For christs sake ppl these are proposed zone improvements there are tons of new arenas and maps being created and uploaded constantly zone staff is just trying to take the lame out of pub if you still wanna be lame go teamkill or levirace or similar arenas.
                            ?find dads revenge

Comment

• It all depends on your definition of lame....

The lamest thing about pub at the moment is the lack of a flag timer in the lower pubs.
                              Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                              Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

• I don't think there was a problem with the settings to begin with. The problem was in our minds.

Comment

Working...
                                X