Time for another pub map vote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll King

That's not a majority. Look up "majority" in the dictionary before you lecture me on my logic. You have 13 people voting for while a total of 17 voted against. A "majority" is considered to be anything more than 50% and 13 out of 17 is not. What we have instead was a minority winner.

Because of the way the vote was set up there was an inherent bias towards the old map. My point was that more people wanted change than not. Sticking with the old map because there was no clear cut replacement was the only option they could take, BUT, it also calls for further follow up action because it was clear that a majority wanted some kind of change. What happened instead was that 6 months went by with the status quo.

If you take a look at countries that use the parliamentry system of government, a party that gets the most seats wins but is what is called a minority government. That means that they won the election but in theory cannot do things because any laws they try to pass will be voted down in parliament by the other seats unless they can manage to get another party to support them. The result is usually another election if that doesn't work out.

In our case, we have a minority map but there was no real public concensus to stay with the current map.

What if, for example, the results were as follows:

Out of 30 votes:

10 for map 1

8 for map 2

7 for map 3

5 for map 4

The map that received the most votes is map 1 (this is, by the way NOT considered to be a majority) but a total of 20 to 10 voted against map 1. Can you successfully argue that map 1 won a clear majority?

Now, as far as how to run the voting procedure, instead of using a playoff style voting where maps are eliminated after each round, why don't we use the system used by most sports leagues to vote for MVP awards or for Hall of Fame inductions?

What they do is, instead of having a straight vote, give the voters a ballot to vote for their first, second, and third choices. For example, a basketball voter might place Tim Duncan first, Jason Kidd second and Shaq O'Neill third. In the NBA method, a first place vote gets 10 points, second gets 7 points, 5 for third, and so on. When the ballots are counted they add the total number of points earned per player. For example, if Tim Duncan received 30 first place votes, 10 second place votes and 5 third place votes, he would get:

30 * 10 + 10 * 7 + 5 * 5 = 395 points.

The player with the most points would win.

Now, applying this to TW maps, we could set up a ballot to vote for first, second (and third, depending on how many candidates there are) choice. With 4 or 5 candidates, it would make sense just to have 2 spots. A first place vote would receive 3 points and a second place vote would receives 2 points. When voting, players would select their number 1 choice and then their number 2 choice. This wouldn't be very difficult to calculate a winner and be the easiest method to run, because you'd only have to vote once while a playoff style vote would have multiple rounds where people have to log in several times to vote.
    So basically you just repeated what I said, but in a longer and clearer way.

Comment

boki's map is imho the best there is like wadi say it'd be a shame to forget it...at least make it avaiable to choose from
      The steps of life are easily forgotten by those who climb the ladder.

Comment

I say we edit the current map by closing all holes on roof and creating a wall about 10 tiles away and 2 tiles thick around the roof of fr. GTFO LTS
        1:koan> indy is like being skinny and liking weird music
        1:tRICERATOPS> just a bunhc of faggots is all being indy is
        1:koan> we cant talk about this infront of castro
        1:koan> he's going to see this and be like WTFZ im a skinny vegeterian white dude with selective music tastes

Comment

gotta disagree troll. while pusher used the wrong word, he is right. u can't say that, just because 4 combined maps had more votes than 1 other that the one should not win when it has the most votes for any individual map.

it would be a fallacy to say that people voted for a change just because the numbers ended up that way. sure people could like one specific map more than the current. but for different aspects and none enough to cause a large % of the vote to swing that way.

if you want to bring up real life politics, bring up what happens in the actual elections, not afterwards (because that is all wrapped up in bs party politics and should not affect this). party a gets 10 votes, party b 4, party c 4, party d 3. or make it even closer if you like: party a 10, party b 9, party c 1, party d 1. despite the other votes, the thing about democracy is that the winning vote getter wins. the thing about tw is that it would be very improbable to include a "minority pub arena" type thing. we are limited by some things, but given a power through vote.

facts aside, i do think it was a bad idea to have 5 or whatever options in the vote, as the votes would be dilluted over far more decisions than necessary. in my opinion it'd be a bright idea to just select a council to select the best 2-3 maps for the general pop. to vote on, winner take all.

Originally Posted By Latrine
          I think it would be cool to have multipile, like four or so, maps approved for league play. And the map is just randomly chosen for each match. You know what they say, variety is the spice of life. And I don't think there is a single game multiplayer other than Subspace that plays on one map and one map only. Or at least the alternatives are more popular although not as much as the most popular map, obviously.

there are far more than 1 map in subspace, if i'm understanding u correctly. countless zones and countless sub arenas in each of these zones ensures this.
          Philos> I both hate you and like you more than anyone in this game randedl
          Philos> there is something about you
          Philos> You're like the wife i'd love to fuck, but beat every night after work

PhaTz> we should all wear t-shirts that says "I WAS THERE WHEN RANDEDL LOST TWLD" and on the back, "TWICE"

Comment

That may be true if the numbers were ambiguous enough. I may be mistaken, but I thought that the numbers who voted for the new maps outnumbered the total that voted for the status quo by a drastic amount. The number of people who voted for the old map wasn't anywhere near to being 50%. If that was the case then the numbers do support further action being taken. At the very least, the data would have shown that the method they used was flawed due to the splitting of votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dantax
              I want change too. But that doesn't mean I want a crappy map.
              Same.

Comment

I understand completely what you mean Troll King but I had to point this out

A "majority" is considered to be anything more than 50% and 13 out of 17 is not. What we have instead was a minority winner.
                13 out of 17 = 13/17 = 76.5% > 50% = majority

therefore by your logic it is a majority win.
                TWLB Champion Season 1 (Light)
                TWLD Champion Season 6/7 (Elusive/Syndicate)
                TWLJ Champion Season 7 (Syndicate)

1 of the first 2 to get all 3. (Fireballz is other)

Comment

Okay, look at it this way. Pretend you have 5 candidates for the presidential election. Republican, Democrat, Reform, Green, and Libertarian. Here are the results of the voting in the electoral college.

Republican: 140 votes
                  Democrat: 130 votes
                  Reform: 110 votes
                  Green: 70 votes
                  Libertarian: 100 votes

Now who wins the elections? Yes, the Republican (even though the people's majority vote was Democrat). And even though the third parties had 280 votes to the Republican/Democrat's 270, the Reform party candidate is not elected president because we live in a (almost) sane country (except for Minnesota).

Edit: Of course because this is a relatively sane country there would probably be a run off between the Republicans and Democrats and perhaps Al Gore would win since the fucking Greens wouldn't be stealing his votes.
                  Last edited by Latrine; 07-17-2002, 05:03 PM.
                  I have stopped swimming in the rock pools a few days ago. Now instead of 40 minutes swimming, I substitute it with 40 minutes power walk - usually on the beaches or around the cliffs. Nothing beats burning the fat in the cold wind. Colon minus pee.

Comment

Ralph Nader is a saint.

(Please note: I didn't vote for George Bush, nor do I think he's suited for leading anything with a higher profile than a Boy Scout troop.)
                    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King

That's not a majority. Look up "majority" in the dictionary before you lecture me on my logic. You have 13 people voting for while a total of 17 voted against. A "majority" is considered to be anything more than 50% and 13 out of 17 is not. What we have instead was a minority winner.

Because of the way the vote was set up there was an inherent bias towards the old map. My point was that more people wanted change than not. Sticking with the old map because there was no clear cut replacement was the only option they could take, BUT, it also calls for further follow up action because it was clear that a majority wanted some kind of change. What happened instead was that 6 months went by with the status quo.

If you take a look at countries that use the parliamentry system of government, a party that gets the most seats wins but is what is called a minority government. That means that they won the election but in theory cannot do things because any laws they try to pass will be voted down in parliament by the other seats unless they can manage to get another party to support them. The result is usually another election if that doesn't work out.

In our case, we have a minority map but there was no real public concensus to stay with the current map.

What if, for example, the results were as follows:

Out of 30 votes:

10 for map 1

8 for map 2

7 for map 3

5 for map 4

The map that received the most votes is map 1 (this is, by the way NOT considered to be a majority) but a total of 20 to 10 voted against map 1. Can you successfully argue that map 1 won a clear majority?

Now, as far as how to run the voting procedure, instead of using a playoff style voting where maps are eliminated after each round, why don't we use the system used by most sports leagues to vote for MVP awards or for Hall of Fame inductions?

What they do is, instead of having a straight vote, give the voters a ballot to vote for their first, second, and third choices. For example, a basketball voter might place Tim Duncan first, Jason Kidd second and Shaq O'Neill third. In the NBA method, a first place vote gets 10 points, second gets 7 points, 5 for third, and so on. When the ballots are counted they add the total number of points earned per player. For example, if Tim Duncan received 30 first place votes, 10 second place votes and 5 third place votes, he would get:

30 * 10 + 10 * 7 + 5 * 5 = 395 points.

The player with the most points would win.

Now, applying this to TW maps, we could set up a ballot to vote for first, second (and third, depending on how many candidates there are) choice. With 4 or 5 candidates, it would make sense just to have 2 spots. A first place vote would receive 3 points and a second place vote would receives 2 points. When voting, players would select their number 1 choice and then their number 2 choice. This wouldn't be very difficult to calculate a winner and be the easiest method to run, because you'd only have to vote once while a playoff style vote would have multiple rounds where people have to log in several times to vote.
                      Am i the only one who didnt understand any of that?
                      :yawn:

Comment

Two Words

Drawing Board
                        ataris/justin/altitude

Comment

Originally posted by 2dragons
                          I understand completely what you mean Troll King but I had to point this out

13 out of 17 = 13/17 = 76.5% > 50% = majority

therefore by your logic it is a majority win.
                          Typo. I was quoting someone else's numbers which were 13 for and 17 against, making it 13/50.

Comment

The reason why it's gonna be hard to get rid of the current map is because Ari is a genius (<3). When we voted to replace the previous map 2 and a half years ago, Ari's map was better for a REASON. The previous map was all gray and shitty and too small for the ever increasing TW population. Ari's map increased the overall size of the base and made it look prettier - in other words, it solved a problem.

Can anyone point out a real problem with the current map that would warrant changing its structure, other than "we're tired of how it looks" (in which case we should only be changing the tiles)?

I'm sorry, but Boki's map was an eye-bleeding piece of fly-ridden shit. All the alternatives were. There's no reason to change anything fundamental about the current map. A tileset change would be nice...
                            'vet' is the new 'newb'.
                            sit ez vet, sit.

Comment

Louis XV is right. Arilou fixed the map and made it worthwhile for it to be changed. It is a VERY hard map to compete with that many TW people will like. It has equal amount of pro's and con's for people getting base and defending base. I would like to see a new base, perhaps. But it has to be worthwhile to play in. So for all those people complaining, unless you have tried to make a base, I would be quiet. It isn't something that is easy to do. It takes a LOT of skill and knowledge of playing the game to come up with a base like Arilou did.

Lots of love,
                              Left_Eye
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XV
                                Can anyone point out a real problem with the current map that would warrant changing its structure, other than "we're tired of how it looks" (in which case we should only be changing the tiles)?
                                Them damned blocks for levtering but I can understand why they placed them there. It did help settle things so I dont have much of a problem.

Tile set change would be nice Good call Lou
                                ataris/justin/altitude

Comment

Working...
                                X