Pub ship switching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub ship switching.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the rule that removes all the points you've earned from a round with a win is stupid.

The pub are spammed with javelins, and most of us just enter in a ship from the start, without looking over the need of ships. If we were allowed 2 shipchanges during a round then it would be possible to actually change some stuff around on a freq. I've played games where my freq only had 1 terr, and after 20 mins+ he has left the game, and we're stuck without a terr. It's not tempting to sacrifice all the time you've spent playing another ship to reset your round timer and go terrier.

Also, when a freq is filled with javs, it would be easier for some to change away from javs when they see that more or less their entire freq is javelins except for the terrier. This will learn our players to adapt.

I know that the bonus you get from winning a game isn't anything to go crazy over. But when you've been there all the time, really trying to win the game, it doesn't matter if you get 1 bounty or 100. You want to see that you've done your job the entire round. If you change from jav to terr due to the old terrier leaving, and win, you've saved your freq alone. You don't want to get the bonus from the last minutes only then.

In one way, I can see the point of the restriction. You want the rounds to emulate real base games, but there's an important difference. In real base games, you get picked in the ship you're needed in, you don't get to pick a jav yourself. This teaches you to play what is needed in base, but in pub it teaches you to play what you enter as. I see very few shipchanges in pub 0.

funny edit: This thread was called "pub shit switching" at first.
    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

yeah he is right. You shouldn't get less points for changing ships. Tk's on the otherhand should reduce your points...
    some are wise, some are otherwise

1: PolluX> People say I talk too much
    1: Louis XV> Dude you seriously need to stfu!
    1: Louis XV> I still love you, k?

Comment

What's with the large populations in pub that seem to only want to Jav regardless if they have no clue as to how the ship works? TK'n is of course out of control due to the Jav. I just do not get why people will not play in a spider or WB...even a Lanc! Nope...has to be a Jav. Perhaps Jav's should not be available to players with less than 1000 hrs under their belt!!! just a a thought. Can ya tell I hate the majority of the Jav newbs in pub?

I agree with Noah though on the change of ship allowance.
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

As much of a problem as javs might be (and they are), small weasels and !warp both reduce me to tears every time I try to play pub. 6 terrs warp in and instantly burst, and if it fails most of them switch to weasel and try to harass you using holes that they have no business flying through. Pub pretty much needs a makeover altogether.
        Originally posted by Tone
        It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
        Originally posted by the_paul
        Gargle battery acid fuckface
        Originally posted by Material Girl
        I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

ph you pretty much just outlined everything that causes me angst in pub.
          -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by PH View Post
            most of them switch to weasel and try to harass you using holes that they have no business flying through.
            Ha! that sounded gay...
            some are wise, some are otherwise

1: PolluX> People say I talk too much
            1: Louis XV> Dude you seriously need to stfu!
            1: Louis XV> I still love you, k?

Comment

Originally posted by PolluX View Post
              Ha! that sounded gay...
              haha, that made me lol at work

Anyway, there's many things to get done in pubs, don't list them all in this thread.
              We need to make a clear message that we want this changed in this thread.

Sure, small weasels pisses me off as well, but that's another problem for another thread.

Moot, give me your feedback on this, and if you won't do it then some solid arguments why.

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

I agree with Noah, but I don't agree on the make-over, weasel/javelin discouraging. Weasels are pretty easy to counter when you have one good javelin on your team that would just check x-radar permanently and bomb the corners. When the opposing team is full of javelins you can simply ride out of flag room -guarded by shark- with a spider or two and totally rape them.
                Diversity in ships make the game better in my opinion, the weasel isn't as annoying as a swarm of warbirds hiding all over lower and straying for instance.

That there is a lot of team kills isn't really the javelin or the 'newbies' fault, it's staff's job to act more strict. You could make it mandatory that you change ships after a handful of teamkills, even if they seem like accidents.
                Any team kill that doesn't kill an enemy at the same time counts as one and then 3 or 5 team kills is a ship change.. Doesn't harm the player, doesn't harm the team, but it stops team killing.
                You could even have a bot-command that allows lower ranked staffers to set a player to warbird/spider or lanc.
                Or even a voting system for teammates to use..
                You ate some priest porridge

Comment

The bonus for winning is a bit flawed. The reward should reflect on the team as a whole, not as bounty. That's all I have to say on that matter, so I agree with you. I will be working on modifying the reward and base games system at a later stage.

This may seem ironic, but I am not limiting any ships. Publics are there so people can play whatever ship they like. If you want people to use base ships, show them how to use one effectively, or explain the advantages of doing so.
                  "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
                  • Shark
                  • Dicer
                  • Sager
                  • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

<insert same thing i always say in pub threads>
                    I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                    I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Mootland Farmer View Post
                      This may seem ironic, but I am not limiting any ships. Publics are there so people can play whatever ship they like. If you want people to use base ships, show them how to use one effectively, or explain the advantages of doing so.
                      Show them how tho use them ineffectively?
                      So you want to require that every veteran player has to tell every jav what to do and what ship to change to the entire match? No thanks, I'd rather play in ?go lag with <insert current laggy squad> in ?go lag.

Do you want to base the current public arenas on us teaching the newbies how to play? You see how many veterans outside staff that play there, do you?

I'd like to ask any veteran baser out there right now who is willing to teach a freq filled with teamkilling javs why to change to spiders. Also, tell me how many times you asked. How many basing vets plays in pubs these days outside staff? Really, I'd like to know, I haven't seen many.

"I've played javelin since before you started this game, newbie *team kill*, ?cheater call and nothing happens"

You can't base our publics on the veterans showing how this game is played when it's not even _CLOSE_ to what real basing is like.

You picture utopia between players when we're lightyears away from working it out. Find a good solution for now, like one of them suggested, or change the mentality of every vet in this game right now.

Sure, blame the pubs lack of attractiveness on our lack of teaching if you want, but it still doesn't fix the problem.

14 javs, 4 terrs and 2 sharks is NOT basing, and it's undermining the concept of PURE BASE publics

__________________________________________________ ___

You will not restrict ships, then what the fuck is point of pure base settings if it can't even remotely emulate how real basing is done?

There isn't even any limit on how many times a jav can tk their team before they get barred from their ship.

If you want to base pub arenas destiny on players reporting teamkillers, then we're already fucked. Because most of us give up on publics before we care enough to do a ?cheater.
                      Last edited by Noah; 04-25-2007, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Getting veterans to help the newer players was merely a single suggestion. I think you've over typed to that suggestion and you sound like an angry person. I'll admit that sometimes there's a few too many Javelins on a single team, but the amount of times I've seen good chaotic basing with Spiders, Sharks and Terriers outweighs it. I'd like you to calm down before I respond to you again.
                        "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
                        • Shark
                        • Dicer
                        • Sager
                        • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post

Do you want to base the current public arenas on us teaching the newbies how to play? You see how many veterans outside staff that play there, do you?

I'd like to ask any veteran baser out there right now who is willing to teach a freq filled with teamkilling javs why to change to spiders. Also, tell me how many times you asked. How many basing vets plays in pubs these days outside staff? Really, I'd like to know, I haven't seen many.

"I've played javelin since before you started this game, newbie *team kill*, ?cheater call and nothing happens"

You can't base our publics on the veterans showing how this game is played when it's not even _CLOSE_ to what real basing is like.

You picture utopia between players when we're lightyears away from working it out. Find a good solution for now, like one of them suggested, or change the mentality of every vet in this game right now.

Sure, blame the pubs lack of attractiveness on our lack of teaching if you want, but it still doesn't fix the problem.

14 javs, 4 terrs and 2 sharks is NOT basing, and it's undermining the concept of PURE BASE publics
                          Isn't this how you learned? It's how I started out. If older players aren't doing that anymore, then that itself is the problem. Fixing that will do much more than adding ship restrictions.

I think you're also forgetting the "public" in pure pubs. It was never intended to be pure basing.

Comment

dunno what this guy is talking about, i see vets playing pub 1 all the time, and i play it quite a lot as well.
                            -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mootland Farmer View Post
                              This may seem ironic, but I am not limiting any ships. Publics are there so people can play whatever ship they like.
                              But sometimes it's impossible to shark or spider when you have a javelin that does nothing but shoot random bombs at entrance -even with no blues around-, that is where staff should step in. It's pub and if I want to shark I should be able to do so. I shouldn't have to worry about being team-killed before I done my job.

Pure pub did bring a lot of 'vets' back to pub, I for one.
                              You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Working...
                              X