Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being a Dean of Staff (Sept 06 - Nov 07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a Dean of Staff (Sept 06 - Nov 07)

Hey everyone, thought I'd give a blurb about what it was like being dean of staff during the term that I undertaken for the year+ on the job.

I started on September 3, 2006, which is also my dad's birthday, therefore I remember it vividly. I didn't do anything revolutionary that prior successful deans of staff have done before me. I just made sure that we were constantly supplied with staff that are willing, active, and participating members of our Trench community. There were a lot of inactives when I first took the position, and after a month of cleaning house, necessary promotions took place. Rehiring left_eye back to staff was controversial at the time, but it proved to be one of our finer decisions, as her abilities really speak for themselves. Numerous staffers were given their 1-time chance for returning to staff while I had the position...many of which not so fruitful. But hey, they deserve one more shot. They were also once excellent staff. Guys like Cylor, zzLifezz, Cpt.Guano, Lunar Crescens, Demonic, Dim, S4j3n......at one time they did their job, but their second coming was not so fantastic. I never regret giving them their chance to return. Some players tend to take their 2nd chance of returning to staff with a more humble heart, which usually ends up better than joining just trying to prove a point. If you guys are reading this, maybe you should've gave your decision on returning to staff some greater thought before dedicating time back into this game, or you just end up disappointing us all.

Strikeball failed yet again during my term as dean of staff, and its pretty clear now that the community should have a semi-competitive but self-automated system similar to TWD where one SB squad can challenge another. Maybe in time, this could happen. Jumping right into leagues was not a good decision. Development for more casual play would've been the better choice (and can still be, if it is continued to be worked on)

Some very excellent staffers quit staff during my term as well including: Jacklyn, Worstplayerever, Kyace, Mantra-Slider, Shayde, Scoop <ER>, Leaf <ER>, Twerp <ER>, Superted <ZH>, Subjugation <ZH>.

Reaver quit staff, even though he did an excellent job with TWD Staff, coordinate the team extremely well, proved to be our best department consisting of only the most experienced moderators. There are never any problems with that team of people, and was great being part of it while Reaver was in charge.

Weaver, having quit staff recently, has had a great impact to all staff, including myself especially. When I first became dean, he helped me through it all; many decisions that were hard to make, he would put in a helpful word here and there, and it has really paid off. Many hires, promotions, and projects were discussed with him personally before they were finalized. He'll be greatly missed, but at least we can still see him around the game, and I can bother him some more about this sysop position .

When I first got the position, I thought you had to force yourself to be the greatest organizer of all time in order to control the busy TW Staff. There are just so many that it seems an almost impossible task keeping tabulations on what each of them do, day in and day out. Needless to say, the easiest way I did my job, was to just fit in as just "another mod" on the team. The ability to listen to what each staff member has to tell you helps you make sure the goals and directions of every staff member is on track, they essentially help you organize your thoughts on things. On a personal level, you get to know more about each staff member, some can say that they learned things about me as well, and it has been a very fun experience. Getting to know every staff member better than before makes this community of players into a tighter cohesive unit, working together for the betterment of the zone.

Some players tried for a period of time to get into staff but didn't keep up with the interest after a month, some players didn't even try to get into staff but were invited, while others tried as hard as they could, knowing their heart is in the right place, but we felt that they did not belong with our staffing community, and it really puzzles them. Its like managing a TWD squad, just because someone has all the experience in the world with a history of being in the squad before...these things don't guarantee your invitation. Because of this, many players reacted negatively when their application to staff was not received well. I'm sure most of you meant well, but still, we can't accept every person that comes knocking.

Making Falk and Nycle deans of staff were a long time coming. I knew these guys for a long time. They have extremely good compatibility, and are friends even outside the game, halfway across the world! Preda was a very capable dean of staff, and his experience made it so all staff had a certain level of respect for him, but due to time restrains for his new job that he started in September of this year, he cannot uphold the level of commitment and activity that he would expect of himself to be a decent dean of staff. He chose to give it up. Preda is still around, he'll be unassigned to a position for a while until he can gather up some more time for this game, which by then he'll for sure take up something ambitious. In the mean time, my wishes go out to the new deans of staff, and I hope the staff situation that Pred and I have passed down to you will be smooth sailing for yaz (at least a couple months =p)

Kim
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
    Failure teaches success.

It's too bad THE PUSHER quit, he was one of the best (IMO).
    RaCka> how can i get you here
    death row> well basically im holdin off cuz i jus joined sweet. so its not u, its me
    RaCka> YOU'RE DUMPING ME?!?!?!?
    death row> LOL I KNOW I JUS READ THAT LINE AGAIN

Comment

It's more work and decision making than I think many people realize. I appreciate the hard work you put in for the zone, for no compensation.

Thanks Kim, and good job.
      afksry

Comment

it's always good to have a dean that thinks he's good at javing
        haha

jk ... good work

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
        1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
        1:Freeze> LOL FAR
        ---
        5:waven> freeze
        5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
        5:waven> you state your business with sanji
        5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
        5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
        5:waven> and i will talk to ease
        5:Freeze> LOL
        5:waven> that's how things work around here
        --
        1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
          Making Falk and Nycle deans of staff were a long time coming. I knew these guys for a long time. They have extremely good compatibility, and are friends even outside the game, halfway across the world! Preda was a very capable dean of staff, and his experience made it so all staff had a certain level of respect for him, but due to time restrains for his new job that he started in September of this year, he cannot uphold the level of commitment and activity that he would expect of himself to be a decent dean of staff. He chose to give it up. Preda is still around, he'll be unassigned to a position for a while until he can gather up some more time for this game, which by then he'll for sure take up something ambitious. In the mean time, my wishes go out to the new deans of staff, and I hope the staff situation that Pred and I have passed down to you will be smooth sailing for yaz (at least a couple months =p)
          Greetings,

It's a sad thing to see you both leave your position. I think you've done a fantastic job for Trench Wars in times of doubt. You weren't the best deans ever, but certainly not the worst. Both Nycle and Falk are excellent choices as deans of staff. No doubt they can pull the job off, and continue Predator's and your work.

I hope to see you around still. Thank you for your work and passion for the game so far, keep it up. Long live the Trench Wars Empire.

Regards,

Hakkinen B)

Comment

Im no man with long speeches, Kim covered that part up pretty well there.
            I myself was made the european dean of staff back at March -06 when Mantra-Slider stepped down. Im proud to see that most of my recruits are still on staff and have been promoted pretty far and do great job every day.

Dean's work takes lots of time and you have to know lots of stuff, also you really have to pay attention to staffers, keep up with theyr needs, solve problems for them. Most of the people think they know what Dean of staff really means but they dont, it is mostly doing work inside staff and for staffers, not so much to players in the trench wars who prolly see the most of your work done by just recruiting new ZH's which is ofcourse very important job but just one part of the work.

Like Kim said I started a new job at the airport, its very hectic and takes the most of my time, sadly. Thats why I really feel I cant do the Dean job effectivily enought on my part right now. For right now I'll stay on as smod as assistant for new deans, whenever I can.

-Preda
            Original Mambonian
            TWD Head Coordinator

Its frustrating to write these lines after every post^
            I'd hope there would be another way..like some automatic system that fills them itself after every post.

Comment

very pleased....

Well i agree, as with any job, i am sure doign something like being a dean is hard. i mean the name in itself is a task. take for instance a dean at a highschool....yeah he is pretty much the one in charge...but he isnt directed to the kids. he is more in the direction of the teachers and what they need to make the school run better or give the kids what they need/want. i have been playing this game for a very long time....with legend of players such as WiX when he played for Cripples...or when Wolven Creed was a fan favorite squad , but when it all comes down to it, we can not thank anyone else but the hard working Staff of TW. i myself sent in a application. maybe its not my time....but someday it will happen i am sure. For now, i am going to keep at what i am doing...and take notes to what the current Staffers are doing. Good job to all of them and everyone that is reading this for keeping our community live and well. - Indy:turned:
              INSERT COOL SAYING OR QUOTE HERE

Thats right....i can..

▲▲

Comment

Good run Kim and Preda and also congratulantions to Falk and Nycle, may the Force be with you.
                Regency> not in for dd lol
                Regency> would rather eat some cock ;<

Comment

wow!

good job kim! last year or so has been pretty fun :+)

and congrats Falk<er> and Nycle <333B)
                  (RoboHelp)>This message has been sent by Left_Eye:
                  (RoboHelp)>TW Staff are looking for players who play regulary and are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and who
                  (RoboHelp)>show a desire to improving the zone. If you are interested in joining TW Staff, e-mail
                  (RoboHelp)>TWStaff@gmail.com
                  (RoboHelp)>If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please use :Left_Eye:<Message>.

Comment

I think both falk and nycle will do good jobs, so i approve
                    RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Thanks on the insight, its kinda interesting to see an overall breakdown
                      Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                      2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                      2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

Do you know if there is any talk of actually making changes? Is anyone realllly considering consolidating elims, removing excess arenas and making changes? Less new events, more fixage.
                        I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by banzi fuq View Post
                          Do you know if there is any talk of actually making changes? Is anyone realllly considering consolidating elims, removing excess arenas and making changes? Less new events, more fixage.
                          I'll look into it for you. Which arenas are talking about when you mean "excess"?
                          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                          Failure teaches success.

Comment

Congrats again! ^-^
                            AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

You had a scandal free run Kim, nicely done. Thanks for not axing me. I think the frankness in parts of your post were refreshing. I'm glad I wasn't listed up there with the people you axed for inactivity. I do things sometimes. Honest.

I've seen many Deans/Sysops come and go (all of them except for Ghost Ship or whatever his name was, I think), and Kim was good. You presided over an era of little change, that is true. But I think that has more to do with the state of the game, rather than yourself personally. I think we're well positioned to be ambitious again if the new Deans want us to be. Hiring Left_Eye was a good move. In addition to being an excellent mod Lefty is one of the core people that provides that little bit of leadership as a vetern staffer that keeps staff, for the most part, responsive and professional, and free of abuse.
                              Spider
                              Formerly EEK! A Spider!
                              Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

Working...
                              X