Trenchwars Resolution Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trenchwars Resolution Limit

Whilst TW was down I did a help call to EG staff in ?go trench because they had capped the max res at 1600x1200 (crap for widescreen),

5 minutes later I'm playing pub at 1680x1050....

http://i30.tinypic.com/zv3net.png

Its time TW caught up with the times, computers/monitors are getting bigger and better and TW is locked at 1280x1024, Not only does this suck for wide screens (i think the best res is 1280x800 or something) Its not very good for 4:3 screens either which can usually do more if they are over 17 inch.

If the max res available was 1440x900 it would be acceptable, right now playing TW pub it is blurred for me (and others with widescreen monitors i assume) because the games pixels are stretched over the monitors at a weird ratio, This happens on most games when not played at native resolution with an LCD monitor.

Here is a photo of my monitor with the res i use in TW it looks quite a bit different in size to the screenshot earlier in this post (and yes i know the photo isn't very good quality but its fine for a size comparison).

http://i31.tinypic.com/334nknt.jpg

The only solution is to have an inferior looking game and a wide ship, or play windowed (playing windowed is not a real solution to this problem) at an inferior resolution to people with 4:3 screens, I think this not only pisses a lot of people off who have widescreen LCD monitors it also alienates and makes them play zones with no res limit or other games altogether.

I think we should be able to play tw at native res, I know the res limit is there for a reason (I've been told before it is to keep the game fair) but I think it is time to re-evaluate (Personally I have had a monitor that could do 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 resolution since 2005), If most of the player base is using widescreen LCD's and only a small percentage run 4:3 sub 17inch screens then its just keeping TW in the dark ages.
    Last edited by SamBa Pa Ti; 03-21-2008, 04:07 PM.

Fucking Allow The Widescreen Resolution Already...

Comment

hmmm ... everything looks fine on my 17" CRT
      2:Zung> Does this 2h mean 1h56 min foreplay & 3 pushes & a stare?
      2:renzi> lol no
      2:renzi> would fuck, blowjob/handjob, fuck, finger, etc

Comment

i guess u missed the point evul.........

lmao

completely.

Comment

I really don't play much anymore. This is the exact reason. Taking the cap off won't hurt the game. It will just make it easier to dodge strays, it will also make it harder aim at long distances.(it evens out)

P.S. Kim you're a douchebag. I tried talking to you last night about this. However, you seem to have a smug attitude when I talk to you. Now that you really have nothing to do could you or P_L give a decison on this soon.
          OBama/Biden 08

Comment

Originally posted by Soul Survivor View Post
            I really don't play much anymore. This is the exact reason. Taking the cap off won't hurt the game. It will just make it easier to dodge strays, it will also make it harder aim at long distances.(it evens out)
            It's actually a lot easier to aim at someone when they are on your screen as opposed to when they are on your radar...

But we should allow 1440x900 resolution as 19" widescreen monitors are becoming very popular and that's the max resolution they can go to. It's also less total pixels than 1280x1024. I bet if someone starts a poll on whether 1440x900 should be allowed over 60% would vote in favor of it.

Comment

I'm gonna repeat this again.

Is there any reason why we need a resolution cap in pub?

I can understand the arguments about twd, lets leave that alone, but in pub its going to make no difference at all... Even in ?go javs with no resolution cap, does anyone notice much, or know who has a high resolution?
              Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
              Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

AGREED 100%.

Instead of changing maps and ships settings how about doing some modernizing, eh? Now that I'm on a 24" widescreen, this shit is stretched and awkward...though I got used to it since I'm a badass (this is Utoom).

Comment

All I really want is 1440x900 to be allowed in pub arenas, My own monitors can do higher but a widescreen res is needed, It would be nice if all of tw was uncapped and just TWD arenas were capped (but still have widescreen support) if the playing field must be level.

This debate is always going to have people who want to run SS on the crappiest computers you can find, But I dont think the zone should cater to those people.

What is the point of giving Continuum Vista support ?
                  I assume people will be using modern computers if they upgraded to Vista, Yet TW is capping and not supporting Widescreen resolutions.
                  The same goes for Laptop users, Why penalise them ?
                  Most laptops are widescreen and its a real pain to try and play Trench on one.

Comment

Below are my responses on the other res limit post. Part of the problem I think is that many of the people who are for the res limit haven't played the game long enough to experience how it was before and if you did play prior to the res limit possibly if you didn't play competitively and finally if you did you're obviously just trying to argue that it isn't unfair even though you know it is just so you can have an advantage over your opponent. Hell, even I used to argue for lifting the resolution at one point because I was missing the advantage I had over other people with the larger res.

------------------------------------------------------

I voted no to raising the res simply because it does create an unfair advantage, back from like 99-01 when I was a lot better than I am now I used 2048x1536 or something like that and I know for a fact although I hate admitting it that is why I was as dominate as I was. Right when I returned to playing and was using 1280 res the game was much more of a challenge and people I could easily kill before became much more of a challenge and I had to adapt my playstyle. Even to this day I still don't think I've adjusted, for a long long time I never really had to use radar much and now it's a big part of the game that I don't think I've fully adjusted too sadly.

Anyway if you eliminate the res cap thats fine and I'll go back up to using 2048 res and it would be fun but trust me it wouldn't be good for the community and trying to have multiple competitive teams in TWL. Even back on Elusive if I remember right we would only recruit people with 1600+ res (referring back to first gen elusive) because it made that much of a difference in duels. Even if you're better than me I can wear on your patience and stay away never dying from strays or anything from a distance and eventually everyone has a breaking point where they are going to play differently from being annoyed etc.

From someone who has played the game for about 10 years and played competitively on both ends of the spectrum the game is much more of a challenge now and is based more on skill than hardware.

edit: and with people with wide screens although it sucks with how it looks and understand fully your position because I've tried it, we both sure as hell know that it would create an advantage from side to side in TWL. Yes you may see a bit less on the up and down and overall its a bit less overall pixels you can't deny the fact that it would create an advantage. From my own experience a majority of the fights happen from the sides and most good players(not all) use side to side fighting as a strategy because it's much easier to dodge due to momentum of your ship etc. Can't deny it and if you do you're just shooting for an advantage.

------------------------------------------------------

Good point but as I remember and correct me if I'm wrong the sysop put it as 1280x1240 because Trenchwars base was specifically set up for that resolution.

And I think even public is competitive, I know for myself the reason I play any video game from Subspace to call of duty on xbox or even pacman at the bowling alley I play to win and in order to win you have to be competitive with the competition.

I guess I assumed that most of this was regarding how it would impact the competitive nature of the game, TWLJ-D-B since that is the reason why most of us play the game. I know for myself if there wasn't a league I wouldn't log on and I'm sure many more feel the same.

People in pub may play more for just fun and thats great if it's for fun they also probably don't care what res it is, for those who only care about competition like myself adjusting the res again does have a game changing impact.

From my previous post I attempted to also point out why the impact on the game would not be positive, again from a competitive standpoint which I feel is the heart and soul of what is left of this zone without it what do we have?

Comment

Originally posted by SamBa Pa Ti View Post
                      All I really want is 1440x900 to be allowed in pub arenas, My own monitors can do higher but a widescreen res is needed, It would be nice if all of tw was uncapped and just TWD arenas were capped (but still have widescreen support) if the playing field must be level.

This debate is always going to have people who want to run SS on the crappiest computers you can find, But I dont think the zone should cater to those people.

What is the point of giving Continuum Vista support ?
                      I assume people will be using modern computers if they upgraded to Vista, Yet TW is capping and not supporting Widescreen resolutions.
                      The same goes for Laptop users, Why penalise them ?
                      Most laptops are widescreen and its a real pain to try and play Trench on one.
                      i agree 100% i think a pub no limit would be ok but prolly wont happen but there really is no reason that wide screen 1440x900 should'nt be allowed..in ALL arenas

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                        snip
                        My main point is that I have stopped playing pub because the res limit makes the game look crap and in my opinion it is alienating players, I dont care about the advantage that people keep whining about, 1440x900 is less pixels compared to the actual resolution limit at the moment and most of the people complaining cant even reach 1280x1024.

If people dont want to upgrade their monitors/computers I dont really care, I know a large portion of continuum users have higher resolution monitors since I have played other zones where they say it gives an advantage. This may be unfair for people with small screens but noone is stopping them upgrading...

The worst part I find about the limitations in TW is that i have to play windowed at 1280x800 which is lower than people with 4:3 screens, It does not seem fair that people with laptops/widescreen monitors should be penalised in this way.

I really cant be bothered talking about this anymore, I have made my points and some people have agreed, It seems people are just stubborn and these are the same ones that are negative to the growth of TW. Untill the res limit is abolished or changed I doubt I will be playing pub or dd'ing in TW anymore, There is other zones without limitations (even EG has a ?go trench arena that has no limitations) Maybe this is where some of Tw's population has gone ?

Comment

I fully understand where you are coming from and I'm sympathetic to the fact you can't utilize your widescreen monitor in public I just don't personally feel that the pros out way the cons in this matter.

I know that overall it would be less pixels for you compared to if I'm on 1280x1024 res but if you look at how most competitive TWL D and J matches are fought and what strategies some of the best players use you'll see that if properly utilizing a side to side strategy when dodging for example in warbird it would be extremely advantageous to the person using widescreen.

I have a widescreen as well as normal, for this game I use my normal crt and obviously would switch to widescreen if they changed it just to abuse the side to side strategy I've been speaking of. I'm just trying to be unselfish and look at the gaming community we have as a whole and apply my personal experience from having larger res in the past and being much better than I am now simply due to res.

Comment

1280x768 to get a regular shaped ship is getting annoying.
                            Indulgence

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
                              I fully understand where you are coming from and I'm sympathetic to the fact you can't utilize your widescreen monitor in public I just don't personally feel that the pros out way the cons in this matter.

I know that overall it would be less pixels for you compared to if I'm on 1280x1024 res but if you look at how most competitive TWL D and J matches are fought and what strategies some of the best players use you'll see that if properly utilizing a side to side strategy when dodging for example in warbird it would be extremely advantageous to the person using widescreen.

TWD can remain restricted, whilst pub could be made unrestricted (or has its limit raised)

Would that not be the best compromise?
                              Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                              Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Working...
                              X