Random Pub Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Pub Idea

At the beginning every game, allow the teams to automatically random at warp. Would create a fair balance and hopefully even out teams.
    Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
    2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
    2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Originally posted by HateTheFake View Post
    At the beginning every game, allow the teams to automatically random at warp. Would create a fair balance and hopefully even out teams.
    would probably work if everyone did !warp. I wonder what consequences it would have for players who are messing around in spawn. Would they be warped somewhere upon switching frequencies?
    .fffffffff_____
    .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
    .ffffff|ff __fffff|
    .fffffff\______/
    .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
    .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
    .fffff\________/
    .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
    .fff\__________/

Comment

I think it's a good idea. I've played in games where the teams are hopelessly unbalanced, even though numbers are pretty even.

On the other hand, some players strongly dislike being on the same team as others, and really like to play with particular players. It could be musical chairs with the freq hopping until the bot starts denying people. If that would cause more problems than it solves, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

I also think all players should be warped in all pubs by default.
      Originally posted by Crunchy Nut
      2d spaceships nobody gives a shit

Comment

Yeah, pure pub should have warp automatically on.

Comment

wondering why pure pub isn't running like go base.

1)Time race till 5 or 10.
          2)autowarp to ears
          3)some shiplimits maybe (and point system for ships like wb and jav)
          banned from jav and shark if made 2 many team kills. banned from terrier if not playing around flagroom or losing 2 many games.

Distension has killed go base and would be nice if we tested something like this for week or maybe even month
          www.BasingCrew.com

Comment

wondering why pure pub isn't running like go base.

1)Time race till 5 or 10.
            2)autowarp to ears
            3)some shiplimits maybe (and point system for ships like wb and jav)
            banned from jav and shark if made 2 many team kills. banned from terrier if not playing around flagroom or losing 2 many games.
            There are actually some "serious play" options implemented in the purepub bot, such as automatic earwarps, shiplimits, etc. The only problem is that they're rather politically controversial. There are two playing groups in pub: those that play to fly around and spawn (often with Levis), and those that play to freeform base. The first is best served by regular pub, the second I believe by purepub.

I don't personally believe one is "better" than the other -- both groups have just as much a claim to the validity of their style of play. If I can say one thing about the split, it's that I do think the basing side of things has more lasting appeal. Also, without a bot to provide some kind of impetus to go to it plus a few small rules, basing doesn't seem to be able to exist in pub in this day and age (though some may still think otherwise -- experiments have shown this to be largely incorrect, however).

So the problem is: with two valid styles of play, do we assign the first pub to be "pure," or do we keep that one "free" or "normal"? I think the answer is to do neither. Currently I'm working on an in-game voting system that will hypothetically be active in both pubs. Players starting a vote will be able to change just about every setting, though some of the more controversial and limiting (for example, earwarping) will require a larger percentage of the vote in favor in order to pass. Votes can be run every 5 minutes by typing something along the lines of !startvote # in pubchat, after which elim-style pubchat voting (1 for yes, 2 for no) will ensue. If a proper majority is met, and the minimum # players needed actually vote (apathy or ignorance do not mean you can pass whatever you want), the setting is switched. Sandbox your pub and play it how you wish based on the feelings of the majority at the time.

Another small feature I'd like to add to pubs is a simple system to issue duel challenges (created with the free-form/non-basing pubbers in mind). Once both players agree (the bot won't PM anyone challenged; they must work that out on their own), a counter begins keeps track of kills and deaths made between the two, all other kills not being counted. The two can mutually agree not to count the last kill if they wish. They can go on like this as long as they want, and once they've reached a limit they find satisfactory, they tell the bot to stop counting. An unintrusive feature that simply acts as a mediator for a very common hapening in spawn-based pubbing. May eventually implement it to allow for more players to become engaged in it, or perhaps even form small teams... this may be a way to get pubbers interested in DD and JD, and ramp up their interest in the zone to a more professional level.

Comments are welcome; I've told other members of staff about my intention to implement the pub voting system (though not the challenge counter) and there haven't been any complaints, so hopefully this will be tested sometime this weekend.

Comment

well whole pub arena could be split to 2 parts. kinda like new elim arenas has casual play and orginal arena.
              and still if only pub 0 would be pure basing arena it wouldn't too hard change
              www.BasingCrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeBu View Post
                well whole pub arena could be split to 2 parts. kinda like new elim arenas has casual play and orginal arena.
                and still if only pub 0 would be pure basing arena it wouldn't too hard change
                And thats worked out soo well....elim is dead
                Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Couple things that I've seen people saying about the new voting system.

With the actual votes it seems to bring on a lot of spam when people are doing the actual voting in pub. Which I believe even if it goes private will still happen to an extent. But as Mootland has stated it's bringing on a lot of spam that just adds to the spam pubs already have.

Besides to obvious solution of making the voting private, which still might let spam through with new players not knowing who to pm, we could also have the voting on a time limit between votes. A lot of votes have happened since I've been in here (pubs), and most have failed anyways.

Also, is this permanent or is this just a weekend test that is happening?
                  Trench Wars Moderator

TWDT-B Season 3 Champion: WOOT

6:Centurion <ZH>> afk embalming babies
                  3:royce> i wish i knew how to penetrate
                  1:Markmrw> i feel like i need a dick all of a sudden
                  1:Markmrw> fuck wrong chat!
                  1:Markmrw> :O
                  1:RaCka> ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

Comment

I don't think spam is a problem. There's rarely any real discussion to interrupt, and if there is it can probably recover from a little burst of spam. The great thing about voting in pub chat is that it's quick and foolproof; you don't have to worry about noobs figuring out how to PM the bot, or for that matter elite vets being too lazy/busy (terring, dueling, etc.) to type more than a 1 or a 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X