Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWD Roster Regulation

TWD Roster Regulation

After playing one full year of Trench Wars (without “retiring” in the middle) and taking part in my first TWL, I feel like the game needs some competitive stimulus that will reignite the competition. With people quitting and newer games such as World of Warcraft in the picture, we have to push Trench War’s strongest selling point in order to attract more players and keep our current ones interested. Personally, I think that keeping our existing players happy is more important than the “fresh blood” that is brought in through our advertisement campaign. To keep things simple, two things we must do is to increase the competition of the zone and at the same time build a stronger, tighter community. Both can be accomplish by creating a roster limit.

Having a roster limit will cause the bigger squads in TWD (squads with around 40~ players) to be more selective about who they want on the squad. Inactive players and players that are unable to match up to the particular squad’s competition level will become less valuable to the captain(s) of the squad if he or she needs to adhere to a roster limit. The removal of the lower tier players from each squad will make those players join squads more suitable to their skill level, or even better, stimulate the creation of NEW squads thus creating more options for TW players in terms of squads to play and squads to join. The increase in the number of new High, Mid, and Low leveled squads will equate to a greater contest, making this game more attractive, sharpening our dull competitive edge.

The second big advantage of having smaller squads is that players will start to build a stronger relationship with one another. People constantly say that the “community” from this game is the strongest selling point of Continuum. A smaller, more intimate roster will give people a bigger opportunity to get to know one another. Players will feel a greater sense of belonging as opposed to being just 1 player in a crowd of 50. This will also be a blow to the ever annoying “squad hoppers” because the limit will put more pressure on the captain(s) to NOT recruit a player that will be more likely to leave into their squad. Idealistically, this will cause the “squad hoppers” to eventually settle down and become a true part of a squad. The more a player is attached to their squad, the more he or she will want their squad to do better, thus again promoted competition.

The way I envision the roster limitation is very different than the one brought up before. Instead of the limit being 25 players static, the limit will change depending on activity within multiple leagues. This is how I see it:

Each single division squadron will have a roster limit of 25 players. The squad’s main division will be the one with the most games played in. For every additional division the particular squad is active in, the roster limit will increase for them by the number of (5) players. Thus, the absolute maximum for a roster will be 35 players, assuming the particular squad plays TWDD, TWJD, and TWBD. In order to be considered “active” within a division, the squad must play at least (2) games of that division per week. If a squad attempts to bypass the system by not meeting the quota of 2 games per week after they had their roster limit increased, the squad will be frozen from TWD until they fulfill their quota.

For example, let’s say Rape squadron is a new squad that is starting out within the TWDD. After I (captain Valholy) recruited my full roster of 25 players, I still want to recruit a few more members. I then go on to make my squad play the two require JD (or BD) games to increase our roster cap to 30 players. All is well until, hypothetically speaking; one week I don’t meet the quota of two JD games that lets me have a roster max of 30 players. At this point, I’ve only played 1 JD game that week but I have a roster of 29 members, thus Rape squadron is frozen from playing within our main division, which is TWDD. I am faced with the choice of whether playing another JD or axing 4 members. As the good captain I am, I play another JD and keep my 4 extra players.

On a side not, to prevent havoc and chaos, there would be a "Grandfather Clause" allowing squads who are above the limit at the time the rule begins to keep their rosters. However, if they wanted to add a player, they must trade another player off the squad (or something, I haven't really put much thought into it yet but we can work this out later).

After reading that, most of you will probably react like “WOH WTF IZ DIS GUI THINKINZ”. This is actually an idea that is meant to pwn two birds with one stone. First of all, this will obviously cause captains AND players to be more selective with their squad, buy raising the opportunity cost on both sides. Also, this will lead to more squads eventually being three league squadrons. Captains will want to recruit more players so they will have more incentive to try out the other divisions. Personally, the only reason why I started to enjoy basing is because a few members of my squad forced me to play. Basing is fun. Warbirds just don’t give it a serious chance. Since I picked up basing, I got to know some of its players, learned the strategies (cram, don’t kill mid sharks, etc) and found a new aspect of this game I enjoy. Hopefully, the same thing will happen for me in the Javelin division.

To further my point, this is a conversation I had with a player while I was writing this:

Valholy> do you like basing?
    little bud> Im not really experienced in basing
    Valholy> do you enjoy it though?
    little bud> yeah, it's okay, kinda cool
    Valholy> how often do you base?
    little bud> havent done a lot of it
    little bud> hardly ever..
    Valholy> do you think you would enjoy it more if your squad based more?
    little bud> yeah it would be cool

A common theme I see amongst basers is their mission to introduce more players into basing. Ultimately, that goal is to have a more diverse experience within basing games. An effortless method to gain that diversity is to give more incentive to the squads that do not BD. With the new roster rule, Warbird and Javelin squads will most likely play more basing games to gain the benefit of 5 extra players onto their roster. Once those squads play a few games and get a hang of basing, they will genuinely start to enjoy the division. I often see the same 5 or 6 squad playing BDs against each other, there is not much diversity. I'm not much of a baser, but speaking from TWDD experience, I find it more enjoyable to play different squads throughout the day as opposed to playing the same players. I'm sure the same concept applies for basing. The top active basing squads would want to have more choice and more competition within their competitive field.

One of the main reoccurring complaints that I’ve heard this season in TWL is the lack of competition. If I’m not mistaken, this is the first year in TWL that has swayed from the traditional “16 squads per league status”, largely due to the lack of TWL caliber squadrons within each division.

Less people per squad will lead to more squads. More squads will lead to more diversity, different bonds will form. If a captain wants more players, he has to make his squad play in more than one division. More multi-division squads will thus increasing the competition in leagues. My ultimate goal is having more squads that play in all three leagues. I predict that by this time next year, if we implement a roster regulation, we will see 40 TWDD squads, 35 TWJD squads, and 30 TWBD squads.

I've always been for roster regulations for squad diversity, but I'm not sure if forcing people to smaller rosters would work or drive away people.
    DELETED

Comment

I really dont know if you can force people to be on smaller rosters, because that might just drive them away. Even captaining a small roster theres few people that actually play the games on them regularly. I remember in earlier seasons that i played squads like sk8 were 2 in one with 45+ rosters, but even then a lot didnt actually play. They just logged in to chat with friends. I can speak for myself when I say that I'm going to keep a relatively small roster, but thats because I have a pretty select group of people that I actually want to squad with/want to squad with me
      I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
      I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

I like this idea.
        I vote yes to pass this bill.
        Ogron - "Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for 10* attitude [Ardour]"

ranked #2 in ogrons signature of: TWL's most irrelevant nobodies pubtrash bozos with 0 titles.

TWLD Season 19 #70th Best Warbird
        TWLB Season 19 #56th Best Spider

TW Greatest no-shipper 2002 - Present

Comment

The only way this would even remotely work would be to label players you dont want to axe as inactive on twd roster. The thing with Sk8 was that even if they had axed the inactives it would only mean that there were 20 players never wanting to join another squad.

Anyone from Sweet can tell I am for the small rosters, yet we have 40+ players atm there. Let me use it as an example: When Sweet entered TWLD we had 25-30 people on roster, out of those there have been 12-15 randomly logging in and about 7-12 getting playingtime. If we would axe the rest there would be the same scenario as with Sk8, and would make the whole limit meaningless.

You see, It's not just captains, players can freely choose which squad to join and since every newbie wants 10 games everyday they will start demanding activity, so in order to keep them motivated you recruit a few others which in turn leads to better squads stacking. Players should also realize they will rarely or never get to play important games if they choose to join a squad with many good players already, hence they will be useless, I don't mind if they left but I would not want to axe them.

With that said, if you choose to limit the rosters I suggest 3-league squads to have 20 active players as maximum, everyone else will just be useless.
          TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
            Anyone from Sweet can tell I am for the small rosters, yet we have 40+ players atm there.
            Your squad is like 2 dd squads now i get like 15 challenges a day from them, mostly riverside since he doesnt log off
            I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
            I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Jones View Post
              The only way this would even remotely work would be to label players you don't want to axe as inactive on TWD roster.
              Id agree with that, at least then people would know that your "large roster" wasn't
              hording active players that "could be" on other squads...

Implementation is a different matter.
              1. How will websites back-end define these "Inactive Players" ?
              2. How will the bot(s) define these "Inactive Players" ?
              3. Simple matter of displaying them as a separate list on site...
              The site stuff isn't overly difficult (time can be atm), but the bots might be a different matter...
              Will they be a "non-enabled" TWD name etc so that they cannot play since they are defined as "inactive"
              or can they be on the roster as inactive even without being TWD registered from a reset?
              PubBot8> Going to 69 :greedy:

Jacklyn> I'll play with this clit thing later
              Dr.Coiff> i've played with it

3:Mirror <ZH>> fly around and boom blow everyone up

Comment

disagree strongly with twd rooster regulations.
                Originally posted by turmio
                jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                Originally posted by grand
                I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Originally posted by Izor View Post
                  I really dont know if you can force people to be on smaller rosters, because that might just drive them away.
                  Honestly, I don't think having 25 players for a 1 league squad is problematic. Also, a HUGE part of my proposal is about the encouragement of current squads to try different leagues. TWDD has double the amount of squads TWBD does because the Warbirds don't give basing a shot.

The idea about setting inactive players really defeats the purpose of the roster regulation. The rule is supposed to create a more selective team, causing the players that "don't make the cut" to join or create new squads. For example, lets take Quake squadron into consideration. Since Quake only plays within two of the three leagues, their roster maximum would be at 30 players. Because the squad currently has 35 players, captain ignite would either have to A] start getting his players to base, or B] axe 5 of his players. If he goes with A], Quake's minimum of two basing games per week will be benefit the basing division, as well as introduce Warbirds/Javelins to the league. If he goes with B], captain ignite would have to axe 5 of his current "TWLD/J caliber" players. Those players would join other squads, spreading the talent of TWL level players to more squads, benefiting the warbird and javelin divisions.

Comment

disagree, it seemed like it would have worked long ago but not now, not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                      disagree, it seemed like it would have worked long ago but not now, not anymore.
                      You are missing my point money. Long ago we would not have needed a roster regulation because when TW's population was at its peak, there were MANY squads. When I first started playing this game in early 2005, I remember the TWDD having around 70 squads, probably 60 active ones. "Long ago" TWL had 16 squads in each division competing at a high level of play, there was not a lack of competition.

Comment

you can't force people to become more active, this game and community is too stagnant.
                        Originally posted by turmio
                        jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                        Originally posted by grand
                        I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeenyuss View Post
                          you can't force people to become more active, this game and community is too stagnant.
                          I don't believe I am forcing players to be more active. If a player chooses to be inactive, there is almost no way of convincing him or her otherwise (unless your the top1wallet in TW $$$). However, I know that you will agree with me when I say that there is more of a stagnation within TWBD as opposed to TWDD. This new rule ultimately cause more squads to become multi-divisional; more squads will pick up basing.

Comment

I would remove that chat with little buddhist, seeing as his squad has 69 members. Ossify as well as others dont axe inactives and thus would complain.

However im all for a maxed roster and depending on the squads age more members. Say 1 year = 5 more members... 5 years= 15 more... 10+ years = 50 max members
                            Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                            2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                            2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

i'll throw in my two cents since i was asked to:

i could go either way with this

the first sake had like 8 eligible players when we were in the playoffs. having a small roster was challenging to an extent, but, when you have reliable players that play the game, they will continue to play with you. it's much easier running a small squad, because people don't complain about not playing and question every decision that is made afterwards when they only know half the details. generally, i do support the small roster

however, now sake is out of twl and competition is dying. i'm *trying* again, like i did on butt, to develop players to get to a higher level. have i succeeded at all, i don't know. maybe. sunny d is considered bad by *the elites* but if you look at the numbers, he actually had a decent season (if he didn't have a horrid game vs quake, i think his record was around .500). i only was able to get money (the guy that is known mainly for his forum posts) into one game because he ended up getting banned, but he managed a very good game vs the undefeated quake. i feel some players are willing to listen and actually try to get better. am i the best person that should be teaching them? i dont' know, but it doesn't hurt to try. thus, the bigger roster benefits this situation, where someone that's been playing this game for a while with a general idea of how to win can be useful.

however, when it does come to twl, i do think the rosters should be capped. especially in twld where my main experience lies. squads dissolve for 2 reasons. twl starters start the games, the bench players play the dds. they eventually get sick of not playing twl and leave, then the squad goes inactive mainly, and then dissolves. i think this is pretty much what happened to syne. the other way is, and this happens all the time during nontwl season, the squads lose a few games in and either axe most players and become inactive as a result, or players leave the squad and join the current hot squad. it's fairly difficult to run a squad in this zone if you don't have your same core players month after month. i mean look at it, how much have these squads changed over the past 3 years? quicksand merged with heavy. sk8 became thunder. syndicate morphed into quake. value/alf/drastic/etc merged with brazil. dice is dice. pirates has had the same players. the point is, it's difficult to get make players good and develop them and have em stay in one spot.

conclusion, there is no real good answer. you need larger squads to try to develop players properly. smaller squads are in reality what exist.
                              violence> dont talk 2 me until u got 900+fbook friends and can take 1 dribble from the 3 point line n dunk

[Aug 23 03:03] Oops: 1:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life
                              [Aug 23 03:20] money: LOL NOT QUITE VIO BUT 5:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life

Comment

Working...
                              X