This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete you don't know that much, I thought you were smart :/
    All of you who said I'm retarded, look at one of the biggest company's in gaming today, Blizzard.

That is not paid for, that's why battle.net is free, fools. Battle.net is hosted by Exodus, AT&T, WorldNet, Etc. Etc. Their just reward is the phat ass cash they get for advertisments. WON is also free, you think they make people play? No, Millions and Millions of Counterstrike players use it. They are compensated by advertisements, Thousands of advertisments beging to have their ad on their services.

Sad to think so many people are that ignorant and closed minded.
    Last edited by Ruby; 07-23-2002, 05:22 PM.
    I fucking own you in the warbird, shut the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by Variable
      I dont get you people, we're happy to have atleast some server that hosts TW. And for you USA people, you know very well that if the server would take place there then the rest of EU will get bad pings. So theres no use to nag more about this issue, no matter where the server is placed half of the globe will get bad pings.
      You can have 2 servers co-inside with eachother, I guess you don't know much about routers, or networking for that matter.

Originally posted by Veteran
      Priitk...Do you pay 3000$ a month for us lowly peasants? Thats insane...

Praise be to priitk. _/\o/
      I believe Priitk runs his own server..
      Last edited by Ruby; 07-23-2002, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby
        Concrete you don't know that much, I thought you were smart :/
        All of you who said I'm retarded, look at one of the biggest company's in gaming today, Blizzard.

That is not paid for, that's why battle.net is free, fools. Battle.net is hosted by Exodus, AT&T, WorldNet, Etc. Etc. Their just reward is the phat ass cash they get for advertisments. WON is also free, you think they make people play? No, Millions and Millions of Counterstrike players use it. They are compensated by advertisements, Thousands of advertisments beging to have their ad on their services.

Sad to think so many people are that ignorant and closed minded.
        Yeah, I'm just a simpleton. A simpleton who designed and maintains a network responsible for some of the most advanced simulation in the world. But what do I know?

Advertisements have become an oudated way of creating revenue--something most advertisers and corporations know. They've become just a nuisance, nothing more. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt.

The "servers" that you mention are free (for you) because they are subsidized by the companies that operate and maintain them. They are, by NO means, free. Besides the actual hardware, there's the whole bandwidth issue. Yes, someone has to pay for that too. Every bit that comes to (and leaves) a machine costs money. Advertising might help, but as I've said before, most companies that might be interested in buying advertising already are aware of the statistic that advertisements on the net are generally ignored.

Besides that, who wants advertisements? I'm already bombarded by them on a per-second basis in my everyday life. Where would you put these advertisements? In the game? Thank you, but no. I don't need a 100 pixel-wide stripe down the right side of my monitor telling me about the wonders of New Improved Super Absorbant 8-Inch Tapmons.

It's not that people are "ignorant and closed minded," it's that they're realistic.
        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd
          CS
          Quadrilateral I was, now I warp like a smile.

I like your signature concrete. what does it mean? elaborate.

Comment

No, Millions and Millions of Counterstrike players use it
            Just to continue what Conc is saying. This is the key statement in what you said. Advertisers pay money to reach a small portion of their target audience. They accept that most people will ignore ads. Since I can't remember the exact figures, let's say it's 30%. That means advertisers shell out big bucks for everyone to see their message and they know it will only affect 30% of the audience's decision in purchases.

So, they pay a lot of money to reach 30% of 1 million people (I'm of course being very conservative in my figures) on battle.net, which is 300,000 people. TW hits max of 600 users. Why would they pay money to reach 180 people? No company in their right mind would pay to reach 180 people. It just doesn't make sense for an economic standpoint.

The best bet would be to find some small company, probably run by gamers, who wouldn't mind giving up the server space, bandwidth, and support time. Unfortunately, these are rare.

llater,
            Tony

Comment

PriitK, whenever i run KaZaa for a long time and have multiple downloads and uploads goin and try to exit, I get the blue death screen and from then on the inernet shuts off until i reboot. Why does it do that, i had this same problem with a cable modem and my new ethernet card and it made my old cable modem not work
              Originally posted by Yoshiba
              i lag when i smoke weed

Comment

Anyone want to post the address to the new TW server?
                Surffaan näitä foorumeita munasillani.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just a simpleton. A simpleton who designed and maintains a network responsible for some of the most advanced simulation in the world. But what do I know?

Advertisements have become an oudated way of creating revenue--something most advertisers and corporations know. They've become just a nuisance, nothing more. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt.

The "servers" that you mention are free (for you) because they are subsidized by the companies that operate and maintain them. They are, by NO means, free. Besides the actual hardware, there's the whole bandwidth issue. Yes, someone has to pay for that too. Every bit that comes to (and leaves) a machine costs money. Advertising might help, but as I've said before, most companies that might be interested in buying advertising already are aware of the statistic that advertisements on the net are generally ignored.

Besides that, who wants advertisements? I'm already bombarded by them on a per-second basis in my everyday life. Where would you put these advertisements? In the game? Thank you, but no. I don't need a 100 pixel-wide stripe down the right side of my monitor telling me about the wonders of New Improved Super Absorbant 8-Inch Tapmons.

It's not that people are "ignorant and closed minded," it's that they're realistic.
                  Blizzard does not have to pay for them. I worked for blizzard from 1999-2000 in California. I know WTF I'm talking about. The advertisements wouldn't be in the game, it was just a suggestion, but you had to come along like you always do and think your some big shit to judge me. I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free, just by me having their advertisement at the top. There are many, many ways to get a server in the USA without paying. That is a FACT. If you deny that is a fact, then you're a complete idiot. Being realistic doesn't mean being negative, I think you've got those two mixed up.

Comment

Ruby if you know so much set up a server then lol.

All the current servers for SS are run for free. For instance the SSCE server is run on a computer on the US East Coast for free. One of the reasons we can get away with it is because the servers use so little bandwith no one really cares. Although that bandwith is little especially at Sonera headquarters or Exodus (for SSCE) it still costs real money ($3000/month?).

Also for the fact that <600 people play on TW at peak times, and around 100,000 people play on battle.net.. who the hell is going to pay to advertise for it? Advertising on the Internet these days isn't 1999 anymore. Even Yahoo! has seen their Ad rate drop by 60%, and now with the current economic climate no one is going to pay money for such a small player base.

Unless you can find someone really nice to give server space it's not happening. Maybe you know someone at Worldcom who can sneak in a server and no one will ever find out after theire records (but not servers) are destroyed :P

-Epi
                    Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                    www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                    www.animeslice.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine

Also for the fact that <600 people play on TW at peak times, and around 100,000 people play on battle.net.. who the hell is going to pay to advertise for it? Advertising on the Internet these days isn't 1999 anymore. Even Yahoo! has seen their Ad rate drop by 60%, and now with the current economic climate no one is going to pay money for such a small player base.
                      ^---- Most convincing argument that ad-sponsorship won't work for TW.

Comment

I worked for blizzard from 1999-2000 in California.
                        Sweeping floors doesn't count.

but you had to come along like you always do and think your some big shit to judge me.
                        Mission accomplished.

I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free
                        *INSERT "HORRIBLE SENTENCE STRUCTURE" JOKE HERE*

There are many, many ways to get a server in the USA without paying. That is a FACT. If you deny that is a fact, then you're a complete idiot. Being realistic doesn't mean being negative, I think you've got those two mixed up.
                        Ooookay Ruby, whatever you say. You've got it all figured out, buddy. The next step is to act on it! Go get 'em, tiger!

PS - Epi's right on the money.

Comment

Magi: It's actually a lyric from a Soul Coughing song, "Bus to Beelzebub". Don't know why I chose it exactly, just sounded good.

Comment

I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free, just by me having their advertisement at the top.
                            Free web hosting with ads is quite a bit different then hosting a game server...

-Spam
                            Who got the boombeef?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spam

Free web hosting with ads is quite a bit different then hosting a game server...
                              Never said otherwise.

Sweeping floors doesn't count.
                              I constructed patches on battle.net for Starcraft at that time.

*INSERT "HORRIBLE SENTENCE STRUCTURE" JOKE HERE*
                              Man, would the world suck if everyone was a clone of you.

Ooookay Ruby, whatever you say. You've got it all figured out, buddy. The next step is to act on it! Go get 'em, tiger!
                              I was asking for help, I may be a rich fuk, but I don't got no damn money to make a fucking server to support so many people. Sorry, I will never try to help this piece of shit TW community again, as I get stupid ass replies like this that are BS. Fuck you.

PS - Epi's right on the money.
                              I'm happy for you, want a brownie button?

Comment

I am also a professional web designer, which is hosted by a company, which gives it to me for free, just by me having their advertisement at the top.
                                Does this mean that like most of the stuff you say, the Boeing engineer thing is fake too? Phew!

-Epi
                                Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                                www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                                www.animeslice.com

Comment

Working...
                                X