No announcement yet.

Official Announcement - Continuum is going on Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm wondering how does the Greenlift process work? I've seen lots of yeses on the comments section (good read), and a few no's (smh) but the yes overwhelms the no's by far in the comment section. Is that a good sign for us?

Also, how do you comment, I don't see a comment box under the comment section, and I registered for an account just to leave a comment on the page to show support.
    TWLD Champion 2014
    TWDTB Champion 2013
    TWDTB Champion 2016
    TWDTB Champion 2017
    TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
    -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

You have to have a full Steam account (have actually bought a game) to vote.
      If we get enough Yes votes (not comments) then we will have the chance for a full listing on Steam.
      Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddowknight View Post
        You have to have a full Steam account (have actually bought a game) to vote.
        If we get enough Yes votes (not comments) then we will have the chance for a full listing on Steam.
        Well, I'm not paying for no dang game, thats for sure.
        TWLD Champion 2014
        TWDTB Champion 2013
        TWDTB Champion 2016
        TWDTB Champion 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
          Is there going to be any way to empirically determine if this effort has paid off? Or is this going to be a ‘try it and then we all argue over what impact it had with none of us really knowing the facts’?
          IF it is going to be done correctly there should be a publicly defined method to quantify the popularity/population of the game before it goes on Steam. Although this would be hard it is not impossible to do. Of course this quantification will need to continued to be monitored over time to determine if the Steam marketing impact is persistent.

I assume that Steam has some kind of metric that are made available but it would be stupid to rely only upon them (the question that needs to be answered is not ‘is Steam introducing new players to the game’ but rather ‘is SS adding new players faster than losing them’).

If resources can be spent on ‘pub bucks’ and other such nonsense than surely the database can support generating useful traffic/population metrics. For years these numbers have only been hinted at (at least publically), how about using this Steam initiative as a catalyst to finally develop some real metrics that can be used to understand player population trends?
          eph
          Some really good points in here.

As far as "stats" go, my plan wasn't to just publish the page and not know who was legitimately from Steam.
          I track the downloads from our subspace-continuum.com website, I hold certain information which can be used to produce some nice results. One thing that I do have (and still working on) is I can show the player name of the person who downloaded the game.

This didn't just require TW's resources, but other zones. I'm working with EG to unify a database to serve a deeper purposes for statistics. From then, hopefully other zones will participate.

24 was really good at creating statistics (including charts) that reflected in-game data. I'll need to have a catch-up with him and see if we can address some of your points. Would be incredibly useful to have, as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by PrOnEsSim View Post
            Well, I'm not paying for no dang game, thats for sure.
            There's a game called fortix that is 99 cents.

Comment

For those who need a game on Steam to vote today, grab Precipice of Darkness Episode 3 while it's free today or buy the current Humble Bundle

http://penny-arcade.com/static/rainslick-giveaway

http://www.humblebundle.com/ (min. $1 gets you a Steam key for Psychonauts + Stacking + Costume Quest, so 3 pretty good games for a buck right here)
              GOD DAMMIT NAPPA

Comment

Anyone else have the feeling that this will end up backfiring really bad when all our current players are told to go buy and download other games so they can vote to save ours.
                Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                  Anyone else have the feeling that this will end up backfiring really bad when all our current players are told to go buy and download other games so they can vote to save ours.

I used this. http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaw...demo-giveaway/
                  get a key and redeem it in steam, it allows u full steam access instead of buying a game.

Comment

I used ganon knights suggestion and now have a full steam account and can vote YIS
                    TWLJ Season 13 Runner Up (Boss)
                    TWLJ Season 15 Hit Allstar
                    TWDT-J 2012 Champ

TWDT-D 2014 Champ

Comment

Love reading all the support for Continuum in the comments section.
                      TWLD Champion 2014
                      TWDTB Champion 2013
                      TWDTB Champion 2016
                      TWDTB Champion 2017

Comment

Agreed, great seeing that a lot of old players still support (and occasionally play)
                        Former TW Staff

Comment

I'm going to break my silence here and hopefully clear up some questions. I had fully researched Continuum being submitted to steam before anyone on Staff or Dev knew I was doing this. I made sure that we could legally do this without breaking the Continuum legal agreements and comply with all of Steam's Pre-Reqs. If you want exact answers on how that is possible or wondering why this hasn't been done sooner, carefully read the license agreement that comes with Continuum (Located in the main Continuum folder as License1.dat). At the same time carefully read the Pre-Reqs for Greenlight under the tab "About Greenlight" on their main site. Also read the post that pollux made on subspace.co where he states that he isn't going to try to submit it but anyone is welcome to try. After reading all this you should be able to see that we need a few more answers needed to comply with the license agreement, such as Continuum being able to stay free to play or can we do this without being able to modify the client. I was completely honest about our situation when contacting Steam and covered any reason they may possibly say "No" to us if we do get Greenlit. They replied that none of it will be a problem. This left one more barrier, Continuum wouldn't launch on Steam when you try to start it. Anyone with some programming knowledge can see that the solution to this is all too easy. The solution also doesn't violate the licensing agreement.

I think the main problem from the beginning was after pollux didn't try, no one did. It is no secret the end of Continuum has been growing near and no one knows how this all will turn out, but we have to try it. The worst ending for this game would be letting it die off and we didn't even try. With that said, I want to remind everyone that this is not only a Trenchwars project, it's a project for the game. For the first time in my 16 years of playing this game I am seeing players from every zone contribute to a single project. There is still a lot of progress to be made. Right now we need a massive marketing effort in the only way this game knows how, word of mouth. If you see any social media outlets or other opportunities that you can get the word out, don't look for someone to check with before you start. Just do it.
                          Last edited by Kane; 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that KANE. Good to see staffers at least putting effort in! We as a community need to come together and put egos/trolling aside for the good of the game really.
                            TWLD Champion 2014
                            TWDTB Champion 2013
                            TWDTB Champion 2016
                            TWDTB Champion 2017

Comment

Originally posted by PrOnEsSim View Post
                              Thanks for that KANE. Good to see staffers at least putting effort in! We as a community need to come together and put egos/trolling aside for the good of the game really.
                              That's why he was my TWDT cap last year. Love this guy!
                              "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
                              Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
                              Dral>I can get implants

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/ - Free game. Actually the SDK to it is free to use, and being a top down shooter sdk we had put some thought into modding it into subspace in some nature a while back.
                                Ex-TW Dev / ER (Event Ref) / ER (Elim Ref)
                                Former SSC Network Administrator
                                SubSpace.co - SubSpace / Continuum Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
                                X