Intangible TW issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intangible TW issues

What is broken in TW? Rather than considering and discussing the superficial things like ship settings some focus should be given to the less tangible issues and possible solutions.

First it should be stated that some people simply won’t ‘get’ this post. They are the people who only see things for what they are, they cannot see the connections that exist between things. Nothing wrong with being that way, at times that perspective is indeed important to understand. But this thread concerns TW issues that are a bit more abstract.

For example, just the other day a BD was being organized and there was a short discussion before the game started. Several people stated concern about the future of the TW and the need to support lesser experienced squads. Then the BD started with a very experienced team owning the newly started team; within minutes of this blow out the experienced team puts there 2 most laggy players into specials. Obviously the ‘talk’ before the game was just that, a bunch of bullshit which came off the table as soon as this meaningless BD was started. God forbid that anyone might actually forego a bit of ‘fun’ for helping TW, every BD is considered nothing more than a selfish opportunity to show others just how ‘great’ you are.

Another example of a non-tangible ‘connection’… TWDT. Here is a tourney that was originally supposed to help newer players experience league style play; but look at who is playing and who is sitting on these squads. Look at the negative impact TWDT has on trying to establish a new squad during the off seasons. First, many people on your own squad are off sitting on the bench in TWDT and even if you can get enough players on your own squad you can’t play because there is no one to play and/or bots are off. Of course no one joins and plays in TWDT to hurt TW or newer squads but that is indeed the affect it has had over the last few years.

So here are two examples, one is an ego thing and one is a TW thing. What can be done to minimize egos from ruining TW? What can be done to improve the situation where newer squads can be successful in growing less experienced players? What can be done to ‘reward’ behaviors that benefit TW instead of ‘rewarding’ the selfish things like we have now?

Don’t be fooled into thinking that changing a few of the tangible things (like ship settings or maps) will save TW. These intangible issues are just as important, if not more important, than ship settings. Things like ship settings are targeted because it is easy to poll players and make tweaks. As long as TW continues to ignore that it rewards selfish play, and offers little incentive to be community-minded, this game is destined to die a slow death. And this is one ugly death, filled with egotistical players who correlate owning noobs with having a big dick or being a man. No one’s ego should be served when TW is stacking the deck against new player s from coming into the game. No one’s ego should be served when winning a ring only means that you joined the same stacked squad that always owns it up.

So what ideas do you guys have that will support changing the ‘rewards’ of TW?
    eph

I think we used all of our "GO"s already, Eph, and noone seems to care. People rather bitch about this and that but in the end nothing gets done. I'm simply getting bored with this game due to the fact that we have so much potential yet so dumb people in charge. As Dral once said: "Is what it is." Amen.
    Last edited by mtine; 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM.
    "Action is the real measure of intelligence. "
    Napoleon Hill

wiibimbo>I'm gonna take u out next week for a beer and pizza at Leonardo's...no homo tho! I prefer big boobs
    Dral>I can get implants

Comment

The first part your talking is player attitude, and that may not be possible to change at all and if it is will take years.
      As for the league example, i am working on a couple of things which may help or not, but should at least try.
      1) Complete revamp of how twd calculates its scoring. Teams are rated based on the players currently playing in terms of how many points the receive or lose for win/loss. So for example if Rifle play their best players in a dd, they may only gain +10pts, but if they win playing their weakest players (or pub players) they would gain +100 pts etc. Would encourage teams to not play their max lineup all the time to gain points, and hopefully spreads the talent pool
      2) A new tournament forms starting opposite TWL for the best rated twd players (twdd/twjd - not sure how to work for twbd), its invitational only, and max 2 players from one squad invited, which again should spread the players around a bit. Min. 25 games for that squad to stop hopping at the last min etc. Would work such as a ?go tournament event, maybe a cash prize event and winner/runner up placed on the twd map for each tournament.
      3) Build a statue of apok in twd map, as he kept asking me for this as the best wb, and i kept forgetting :P
      The above examples would hopefully encourage newer players to be played in twd, while also giving the best experienced players a new invite tourny to enter in.
      However, great post eph and well thought out!

Comment

I concur that user attitudes, especially in a game with young male demographics, is full of testosterone and this cannot be changed.

But this fact should be used whenever any changes are made to TW. Any change should always be considered in the light of selfish/egotistically play and the question of, ‘will this change help with lessening selfish play or will this change only encourage more selfish play?’. If a change stands up to this question well, then it bodes well for possible adoption. If a change is thought to increase selfish play it shouldn’t automatically disqualify it from adoption but it certainly should make it a less likely candidate for implementation in Pub 0.

For example, do Pub Bucks encourage or discourage selfish play? Do kill-a-thons encourage or discourage selfish play? Do private frequency LTs encourage or discourage selfish play?

Fact is, if TW (as a zone) makes decisions without considering the impact of selfish play why should players think that way either? This is what I mean when I carry on about improving leadership. If TW starts openly heading in the direction of non-selfish (like it finally appears to be doing) play the chances are much better that players will also make more community-based decisions.
        eph

Comment

Originally posted by Demonic View Post

1) Complete revamp of how twd calculates its scoring. Teams are rated based on the players currently playing in terms of how many points the receive or lose for win/loss. So for example if Rifle play their best players in a dd, they may only gain +10pts, but if they win playing their weakest players (or pub players) they would gain +100 pts etc. Would encourage teams to not play their max lineup all the time to gain points, and hopefully
          so people gonna change alises every week for max boost. Major pain in your LO's ass to keep on top of it
          Former TW Staff

Comment

In another note Demonic, I like 2) in your post, but you need to offer more than a little pixel medal for people to actually care enough to join another squad, and again you need to double up efforts to watch multisquadders
            Former TW Staff

Comment

not hard to have bot track alias changes tbh, could even remove the 24hr name change ability if we do that.

Comment

Yeah, the bots do a perfect job of tracking aliases currently and stops people from doublesquadding ever.
                Former TW Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Shaddowknight View Post
                  Yeah, the bots do a perfect job of tracking aliases currently and stops people from doublesquadding ever.
                  hah they do track it, which is why we do catch it. Its just right now its reactive rather then proactive with it.

Comment

I don't think that the general attitude is changeable. Or at least not significantly.

You've picked a perfect example though with the squads first talking about how TWD is dying and on the other hand going hard on the weaker squad. That's exactly what I feel has been happening ever since I'm squadding with the purpose of 1. to stay with my friends and 2. to recruit and encourage newbies. It's just really hard to keep motivated and to keep the spirit when the "reward" you get for that effort and frustration is "wow you guys suck" along with a horrible defeat (which most squads really enjoy as it seems by adding multiple specials to really prove us how much of a joke we are) - from the same persons that claim that they want to start helping TW(D) grow. Rediculous.
                    Which is why, in the end, our squad's direction will probably have to change, because our players find it too frustrating and rather join other squads.

What you said about "dis/encouraging selfish play"... Well, in the end, a lot of stuff is selfish - actually whole TW, no? - Depending from the point of view and depending on where you start calling actions selfish and where you stop. I do believe that this is needed to a certain extent though because else the game wouldn't be interesting - and how would you decrease it?

Oh well I notice that my post is pretty pointless and just random bitching. I realize that I don't really have a solution to that. Certain players need to wake up.

Interesting ideas Demonic, it would be nice to see some fresh things in TWD. There were thousands of (good) ideas on this forum about e.g. awarding people with TWL-Medal like icons temporarily for a good game or what not. There's thousands of other options... Especially to get TWD rookies hooked. Achievements maybe. I think the main problem that we face with that is developers, because the ideas already exist. Thumbs up for pushing to get something around that changed!

Comment

I said months ago - scrap twl, make twd the main competition, add lots of features to encourage all players to form squads and compete... find my old threads about it, i went into depth.

Comment

is children axed yet for being putrid
                        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

can i be sysop
                          J-B-Inc> i ddi that duel while doing coke of pawner moms ass

8:Riverside> UPDATE FOR WEEK 1:
                          8:Riverside> I go 4-60 and we lose 0-6

2:saiyan> [Dec 22 21:22] Rough: yo just came on to tell you, can you go on a real date with a girl (need to be specific here lol) instead of talking to claus on forums about calcs and formulas for a league? Happy holidays btw

Comment

Perhaps TW should promote prac arenas better, as in wbduel, javduel and base. a better rating system should be developed (which has been suggested many times in the past) to give more established players an incentive to play. when i got more serious about basing (back when I was on basingcrew and -final- to name a few, I played like 10 games a day just to learn spider. it worked for me back then, who knows, maybe it will work for newbies too?
                            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

I agree with your point about twdt, it is the same circlejerk between good players that already exists in TWL, which is why I have boycotted it again. Now, nobody really gives a damn if I play it or not, but the problem with it is very real; no newbies get to play.
                              TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X