Took away pub bux - goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took away pub bux - goodbye

I was introduce to TW in college by a friend in 2003. We played it twice a week. I was horrible at it and so just to keep up I X'ed for the first year pretty exclusively.

I got a little better over time, but I was still getting creamed in duels and anywhere besides pub, so I stayed in pub and never dueled.

After about five years, pub bux were introduced. I went from a twice-a-week player to a nearly every day player. For FIVE YEARS I did nothing but try to increase my pub bux. If I couldn't be the best, I wanted to be the richest. In five years of playing nearly every day, one basing king / flag savior at a time, I became one of the richest players in the room. That was the reason I played. That was my trophy on the wall.

I have put more time into TW than I have in a lot of relationships. It was always there... providing some arbitrary incentive to head home early from a party I wasn't comfortable at or provide a reason--however weak--for not joining some friends out to a place I didn't want to go. I played this game a lot. I didn't need much of an incentive to continue within the game, it was fun. But no matter how fun it was, I needed something in the game to work towards otherwise it made the past ten years felt like a big waste of time. Pub bux was my reason, as dumb and meaningless as it was. That was the justification to continue playing.

The mod told me they're doing away with it so new players don't feel intimidated. Apparently TW's population is dwindling and pub bux are the problem. There was nothing I could say in the arena that could even have the mod entertain the idea of putting this up to a vote or hearing alternative solutions (like giving noobs a 20k headstart). Nothing. It was being done away with entirely and the vets would just have to take it.

Well, I don't know if that decision will actually bring in any new players. I don't know if you can quantify how much that change has helped bring in new blood. But you can absolutely credit that decision to THIS vet leaving the game. I hereby formally quitting TW and adding my name to the list of those "who used to play."

It's been a fun ride, but I will not continue to play a game where the mods are so carelessly dismissive about the wishes of their core players. For all those who I played with inside on the regular--PrettyMadness, Kmkz, Nubcaek, Skyman's, even all you asshats--it's been real. I will miss playing with you.

Good bye TW.

~ alanon
    Last edited by alanon; 10-08-2013, 07:11 AM.

It is not about new players ‘being intimidated’, not sure why any staffer would say that.

It is about what you said in your post; “I got a little better over time, but I was still getting creamed in duels”. Pub bucks make an unlevel playing field where more experienced players were given an advantage over less experienced players.

And what does having a lot of pub bucks mean to you? It certainly is no indication of skill; a person could accumulate large amounts of pub bucks without even playing the game by just betting or getting donations from others. Nor is it even an kind of indication of the amount of time put into the game/zone. So having a lot of pub bucks means nothing at all; it is a completely meaningless metric.

TW has always reset scores in pub, at least for as long as I have played the game. It sucks that you are leaving the game but hard decisions have to be made in the context of what is best for the zone, not what is best for you. The zone cannot survive supporting the intrinsic values of a few players, it has to do what is best for the majority. A few might think it ‘fun’ to form a private frequency LT and trash a great competitive flag room battle. A few might think it ‘fun’ to spawn to win a ‘kill-a-thon’. And as your post shows, a few think it ‘fun’ to have a lot of pub bucks. But these things aren’t helping new player retention and/or the zones survival.

It does suck that decisions have previously been made that supported players having this kind of ‘fun’. They were misguided decisions and those players who came to enjoy that kind of ‘fun’, and do not wish to give it up in the interest of keeping the zone alive, will leave. It sucks but the reality is that the zone HAS to do what is best for new player retention and stick to the zone mission statement (as found on the web site).
    eph

Comment

lmao

wahhhhhh wahhhhhhhhh
      7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
      Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
      TWLJ Champion Season 11
      TWLB All-Star Season 10
      Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

obvious troll is obvious
        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

i can understand why pubbux are so important to some of these people. for many the k:d stat is not a good enough incentive to keep them going. something like pubbux gives them something to work towards. lets face it we dont have many people (if any) left who want to legit improve and try to be a factor in twd or twl.
          1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Fighting to be the richest is just silly because the people with the most pubbux have always been the people that got them through donating.

I'm not going to reiterate my arguments against the pubbux system here because I've done it many times, but it needs to disappear forever.

Comment

First newbs, sorry for the bad english, hehehehhehehehe

I say the exact same thing , Alanon , Pub Bux were an incentive to continue playing after 6000 hours and bored from this game.

What happens is that the SubSpace is in an irreversible death , and the SUPER HYPER MEGA incompetent staff does not know what to do to avoid the inevitable... This war is lost, newb staff, this game is dead...

I have over 2,500 public duels , I spent hundreds of hours playing day and night to get my 9 million bux pub , donated more than $ 200 for TW to receive public bux and now everything thrown in the trash .

The staff is dumb and does not understand that the game is dying because it is not 3d , being old and outdated.

Actually, the players wants to play 3d games, full of great graphics and excellent gameplay.

Reseting the pub bux will make new players continue in TW? hahahahahah joke..... we can have millions, but we have ONLY TRASH items to be purchased, epidemic, baseterr, roofturret , large pieces of shit to buy....

Big Excuses this talk of resetting pub bux to "hold" new players in TW .

As I always say , and many agree with me , the problem of TW are not the pub bux , veteran players or newbie players, the problem, the cancer of TW is just the staff.

I was already bored of this game, after nearly 6.000 hours, now that pub bux are reseted, one more reason to stop playing or play 15 minutes a day, 2 or 3 days per week.

SkyMan's
              Last edited by SkyMan's; 10-15-2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyMan's View Post

SUPER HYPER MEGA incompetent staff does not know what to do

As I always say , and many agree with me , the problem of TW are not the pub bux , veteran players or newbie players, the problem, the cancer of TW is just the staff.
                this good stuff
                1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

I have over 2,500 public duels , I spent hundreds of hours playing day and night to get my 9 million bux pub , donated more than $ 200 for TW to receive public bux and now everything thrown in the trash .
                  ???? lost me here tho

Comment

Don't go, Alanon! You were entertaining! At least, before you go, give me your email address. I want to hear more of your dating disasters and give you some links so you can find out what you're doing wrong and how you could improve.

Skyman, your name may be senseless, but your post isn't. The stupid mods keep jerking the game this way and that without any coherent strategy or idea.

Also, to whoever said that the richest people bought their money, I got to 2.25 million without donating.

Comment

All I got from this thread is that Alanon now lost his reason not to go out with his friends when he should be doing exactly that, so good decision.
                      "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

Originally posted by RednaZ View Post
                        All I got from this thread is that Alanon now lost his reason not to go out with his friends when he should be doing exactly that, so good decision.
                        Lol. Now I HAVE to go out with them, you don't understand. I just lost my excuse to stay home.

Bukkake, I'm on the facebook. Look me up, my name is "Zack Mentz" and my profile picture I have a piece of bread on my head.

BTW, I got all my pub bux from flag awards and killothons. I didn't duel, I didn't bet on duels, and I didn't get donations. I was usually in the top three richest in the room so that should show you how much I played--a perk from being self-employed I guess.

Comment

I don't use such sites, so just PM me your email address.

You could always find a new game to play. Medieval 2 has tons of awesome mods (modifications, not moderators...what I meant should be clear even without the explanation, since there is no such thing as an awesome moderator).

Comment

I was already bored of this game, after nearly 6.000 hours, now that pub bux are reseted, one more reason to stop playing or play 15 minutes a day, 2 or 3 days per week.

Comment

The staff is dumb and does not understand that the game is dying because it is not 3d , being old and outdated.

Actually, the players wants to play 3d games, full of great graphics and excellent gameplay.

SkyMan's
                              This game wouldn't be the same if it was 3d- I mean it would be almost impossible to get bounce kills in a javelin. To play basing games u need to see what everyone is doing at the same time- something that can only be done in 2d. Its much more fun in 2d.

The game is dying because we can't retain the new players and the old players get bored due to the lack of updates. A cool idea would be to introduce a mini trenchwars TV on the pub arena: a smallish box ?on top or under base where it shows u videos of:

1) 'moment of the week gameplay'

2) advertising players to join a squad for squad battles! (Clip of twd games shown)

3) general news- whats happening in the world

providing that it doesn't cause absolute major lag- people would log in just to watch

if not a video: a box at the top of your screen (that could be disabled) scrolls messages like: the news/ telling new players to join a squad for squad battles. It would be cool if people logged onto trenchwars to get an update of the world news while playing casually. Make pub more social- wake up, log on, drink your coffee while looking at the news, then play for abit.

If this is too complicated to do then consider this: tw radio hosted live in the pub arena. Tw radio could be about music/ games but most of all about commentary- mentioning people's usernames + about game play. This could motivate people to play just to get mentioned. People can disable radio. Host during weekends?

For old players: jazz up twd abit- if possible: make the scores at the top right bigger/ bolder and much clearer to see. When a game starts- there could be a splash image in the centre of the screen: Mambo vs Paladen in Basing! Small things like these make the game look more fun for new players= retention of players
                              Last edited by Fork; 10-15-2013, 07:20 AM.
                              1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

Working...
                              X