Consolidation of TW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidation of TW

The time for the consolidation of TW is probably well past; we have seen the effects of what can happen to the zone when it becomes stretched too thin. The population has dropped over the years but at the same time the zone has added more and more zone level features. (Zone level features are things like the different leagues, events, pub, elim, go base, etc.)

Obviously something had to ‘give’; what has ‘given’ is the overall quality of the zone level features. Much of the lowering of the quality has to do with the fact that these zone level features are competing with each other. Additionally the resources required to run simultaneous features is much greater. So we are left with a choice; allow all these features to run half-assed or start intelligently consolidating and run them better.

League Consolidation
    TWD just about came to a halt during TWL. Trying to scrape up a TWBD during TWL, when it should have been easier at times given the increased population, was just about impossible. TWL also ended up being a cluster fuck. TWDT has always struggled and never really fulfilled its goal of being a league to assist newer players. Dethdefire has a new thread proposing another new league. There is talk of starting up a TW hockey league.

League diversity is great, but with a lower population they become much harder to support. Getting rid of them would suck, so what the answer? The answer in this case is to consolidate the leagues into shorter time periods and not have them compete with each other. The zone can no longer afford the luxury of having a league monopolize the best 3 hour period each week to run or allow a league to run 24/7/365.

Instead we build single web site interface for a player to join a squad. Each league gets a maximum of 4 weeks to run. No leagues run simultaneously. Squads can participate in as many or as few of the leagues as they desire. Within their 4 week period a league can play in whatever time slots they wish to establish (just choice weekend times, a game per day, 24/7, etc.). Some leagues may then want to run more than one game per week. Some leagues may want to split up into separate ‘seasons’; for example perhaps TWD runs in spring and fall.

Having shorter leagues should keep things well populated and keep things interesting. It should also better support the inclusion of new squads and players. Some squads might be attracted to trying to ‘sweep’ as many of the leagues as they can; others might just target a particular league. There could even be some kind of system for determining an annual champion across all leagues.

Event Consolidation
    For our purposes let’s call Pub an event. Pub has to be run 24/7 for obvious reasons. IMO the zone can currently support a maximum of two simultaneous events. It might be Distension, hockey, elim, , go base, turretwars, etc. The zone population is simply not what it used to be and cannot carry many events running at one time.

I know it seems like a step backwards to remove something like ?go base from being an automated 24/7 arena to an hosted event but at this point what are we really losing? We HAVE to be aware of the impact an event has on the rest of the zone. Limiting the zone to two simultaneous events does have downsides but don’t shoot the messenger here. The luxury of allowing this in the past is gone, we have to recognize that we can’t cut the TW pie into smaller and smaller pieces and think that this is going to work well. Running a poorly attended event is a horrible mistake with our low population numbers. Not only does it reflect badly on the event itself but it also robs players from other areas of the zone.

Obviously the events themselves will need to be organized and scheduled better than they are now. Yes, it this has a downside. Ideally players would be able to log in and play the event of their choice within a few minutes as opposed to knowing the event is only played each day at 4PM. But we are far from ideal and need to make some sacrifices if we want to maintain the diversity of things we currently have. But by limiting the zone to pub and a single event at a time will keep the population from being spread too thin and allow staff to properly host better attended events.

Of course all of the above is simply an overview of one consolidation approach; there are other ways to consolidate. But it is past time that we should have started thinking/talking about this. Another reason is be thinking about this is if we do make a transition to an ASSS server. Surely no one thinks that we should just port all these features as they stand now. No one even knows for sure how many total events even exist in TW. Are we really going to ask Dev to spend time porting over some event/arena that has been played just once or twice in the last 10 months? The zone should, at a minimum, be visiting the consolidation effort just for this reason alone.

Opinions?
    eph

Instead we build single web site interface for a player to join a squad. Each league gets a maximum of 4 weeks to run. No leagues run simultaneously. Squads can participate in as many or as few of the leagues as they desire. Within their 4 week period a league can play in whatever time slots they wish to establish (just choice weekend times, a game per day, 24/7, etc.). Some leagues may then want to run more than one game per week. Some leagues may want to split up into separate ‘seasons’; for example perhaps TWD runs in spring and fall.
    My quick thoughts: I play LJ/LB. I simply wouldn't have enough interest to only show up for 1 league game each sunday. TWL for me pretty much means that I can't reserve anything else for sunday evening. This applies to most euros I think.

I think there are many multileaguers in TWL and they also have the same opinion.
    Season 12 champion TWLD / TWLJ
    Season 18 champion TWLJ / TWLB
    Season 19 champion TWLB (C)

Season 6 champion TWDT-J TWDT-B (C)
    Season 10 champion TWDT-J (C)
    Season 11 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 13 champion TWDT-B (C)
    Season 17 TRIPLE CROWN TWDT (C)

The winningest TWDT captain of all time

Comment

TWL should be like a bracket like march madness maybe less people complaining after getting owned in twl
      https://twd.trenchwars.org/showgame/90112596

Retired after i dropped 24 kills and carry the team

wbduel Map Maker Legend

Comment

Originally posted by 2pac View Post
        TWL should be like a bracket like march madness maybe less people complaining after getting owned in twl
        like the playoffs now?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwin View Post
          My quick thoughts: I play LJ/LB. I simply wouldn't have enough interest to only show up for 1 league game each sunday. TWL for me pretty much means that I can't reserve anything else for sunday evening. This applies to most euros I think.
          I think there are many multileaguers in TWL and they also have the same opinion.
          Dreamwin,
          Please understand that TWL might be run three days per week, it all depends on how it is decided to get it to fit within a 4 weeks period. Also please understand that I don't want folks to get hung up on details; I was just trying to get people to think about consolidation. IMO consolidation is required at this point for the reasons I stated but how the consolidation to achieved is certainly open for discussion. Stuff like the 4 week league duration above is only a suggestion. The salient point is that we consolidate by limiting simultaneous leagues and events. What is your opinion about it on that level?
          eph

Comment

Eph I am not sure spreading the same discussion with always a huge first post which says pretty much the same every time is really helping. While I appreciate people trying to improve, save or whatever you may call it, you are claiming that things are spread too thin. Yet you do exactly that on here?

Comment

Eph really needs to consolidate his posts.

Check fucking mate.

Comment

It must suck to have a browser that forces you to read every post.
                eph

Comment

Why touch TWD? TWD isn't a league, it's now a core part of the game itself and it should run 24/7/365. I don't even know why they halt it during TWL? Too much to handle? Anyways, TWD is the best part of this game. If TWD is down I just log off, no point. Leave TWD alone, it's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
                    Eph really needs to consolidate his posts.

Check fucking mate.
                    this guy gud
                    1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Eph, whilst I like your push for big changes in TW touching the leagues or 'consolidating' them is not the right move at all - I understand you have played leagues in the past but from your posts over the last few months I get the impression you aren't a big fan of the leagues and would happily remove them.

TWD and TWL do NOT need consolidating, removing or being forced in to time frames - they just need a few tweaks here and there to drive competition back into them and motivate people to WANT to play them, your methods are not the right way into doing this, at all. If we consolidated TWD and TWL into set time slots as you suggested I'd quit SS to be honest.
                      TWL-J Season 11 Champion
                      TWL-J Season 21 Champion
                      TWL-B Season 21 Champion
                      TWL-B Season 22 Finalist
                      TWDT-D 2017 Champion
                      TWDT-J 2017 Champion

Comment

Eph, your intentions are always good but I think you're consistently looking in the wrong areas on how to fix this game. You seem to be coming up with ideas to somehow make TW flourish with the smaller population instead of thinking about the actual issue here - the smaller population. For example, you've noticed that TWD dies during the TWL season but I don't think you really understand why. People aren't not twding because there's too many things going on, they're not twding because TWL makes TWD completely pointless and it's even more pointless when the TWL regular season is also pointless. Our leagues promote inactivity. You only have to be active for 45 minutes a month to participate in our leagues if you're a one league warbird or jav player.

In my opinion, the biggest issues with the game are the outdated league formats, the zone's reward system (TWL is the end-all-be-all but it's boring as fuck, every other league in existence has no reward), and the zone's 100% focus on bringing in new players instead of catering to the most important people, the vets who have history with this game but who are too bored with subspace to login.

You have to remember that this is a video game. People play video games to enjoy themselves and have fun. This game still has a pretty big population but nothing in this zone besides the chat system encourages people to be logging in on a daily basis. There's a reason every popular online game constantly comes out with expansions and sequels, it keeps nerds coming back. We've been playing the same content for 15+ years. I think it's time to mix things up.
                        PattheBat> steadman your name is literally "a mean std"
                        ogron> CM,OPN NMKAN

Comment

mix things up how

cant stop wont stop bad boys eheh

Comment

agreed with most of your points, eph. however, TWD / TWL should not be touched, they only need to be tweaked a little, as someone already pointed out. it's not worth the risk, we could potentially lose most of our competitive players for good and that's something none of us want to happen.

Comment

Turb,
                              Understood. As stated there are many possible solutions to consolidation. Of course consolidation (or downsizing) always sucks. But the zone may no long have the luxuries it used to; it may be that we have to make decisions based on what is needed and not based on what we want. But frankly this is probably a losing battle; for whatever reason people want to focus on the fantasy that the zone features can grow and that the leagues will always thrive independent from the declining population levels.
                              eph

Comment

Working...
                              X