This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Sysop

I have been appointed as the new head system operator of SSCU Trench Wars, and will act as a replacement to Demonic who has been removed from her duties due to recent inactivity.

I will not make this a permanent position as I don't have any genuine interests to run the zone at an upper management level, and truthfully speaking my life is quite hectic right now which means I can not fully commit myself to helping this zone with all the micromanagement involved in this role. In the end, being a member of staff is a volunteer job and should be treated as such. This means when the right person arises with a good vision, attitude, and experience, I will gladly step down and have him or her as my replacement in the coming weeks or months to allow me to focus on the things that I actually want to do in this zone.

I feel that we have areas that require immediate attention at this point, and some of these problem areas I'm not that well-versed or qualified enough to provide the right answers or calls. I can not promise a miracle to happen, given the unpredictable nature of this game, but I don't think it is too late to turn things around.

In truth, I would have been satisfied with a much simpler role with the focus being on things such as improving the well-being of our players and community, helping with the running of different leagues and ensuring that the quality of events department moves forward by providing proper planning and training. Unfortunately, I do not have that luxury to do what I want at the moment as this zone is in a dire need for some drastic changes, starting from top to bottom, and those take priority over my petty little dreams for the time being.

I'm going to be blunt about some of the problems that we face in the current staff. It is a known fact that there is some abuse, favoritism and even corruption going on in both upper and lower staff which requires immediate attention from the leaders of this zone, now including me. I feel that we need to bring back some of the much needed discipline back to staff. This is the root of many of our problems inside staff and has caused us to have a terrible turnover rate, which in return has dropped the overall quality and professionalism of staff members over time. We have given the wrong types of people a position of power while ignoring those who were far more qualified and experienced to take over the position.

As for my short-term goals, I would like to accomplish things that will provide near fast results, and some of them are necessary if I ever want to meet my long-term goal which is to improve the zone and staff as a whole.

I would want to remove the toxicity and abuse of staff by promising equality to all the members of staff. We need to bring back the policy of punishing those who are abusing their powers rather than sweeping everything under the rug, and quite frankly no one should be exempt from that old rule. I want to restore, or in some cases give, some additional power to the heads of each staff department when they have the right person in charge. This is especially true with the Dean of Staff position which has strayed away from its original purpose over the course of the past years, essentially becoming a puppet position of staff. Favoritism has always been another issue within staff which has lead into the wrong people getting promoted to the wrong positions when they are not qualified or experienced enough to do their work at an appropriate level.

I am still going to be closely involved with the running of leagues in this zone starting with TWDT and TWEL as they will begin their seasons in the near future, and will help with various aspects of TWD and attempt to set up TWL for another season. I would naturally want to improve the overall quality of our Events department as well by providing them some guidance and insight on various matters, but I think that department is already moving to the right direction.

I will work on other projects that I feel are necessary to improve the player relations, such as adding much needed staff transparency which will be done by increasing the communication between players and staff with monthly reviews and by posting new critical information on the forums, and in truth this is not limited to the players as even lower staff is not always up-to-date with what is happening within staff. This is to ensure that those who are interested about this game will not be in the dark about things that are happening behind the scenes.

My long-term goal is to solve the some of the major issues which we have with the current staff structure, and that will involve replacing some of the staff members from their current position. This problem is not limited to upperstaff as I have to go through all departments from top to bottom to figure out what the goals of each individual are, and what they want to accomplish while being on staff. I feel that this is essential to restore the reputation of staff back to its former level, or even above it, and it should slowly improve respect of staff from a player perspective.

Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be too closely involved with the Steam project as we currently need to solve legal issues and finish several development-side projects, both of which I'm not qualified enough to help with, but I will at least attempt to keep the players and staff up-to-date with the latest breakthroughs and plans. Of course if this Steam miracle happens while I'm still a member of staff, as it seems to be a long project, then we will naturally have enough time to prepare for the influx of new players by preparing both the staff and our players, and I would want to extend a helping hand to other zones that may not be prepared as they are equally important for the survival of this game.

I'm hopeful that together we can turn around this downward spiral and slowly restore the reputation of staff which would in return restore the lost faith of our players. It is not going to happen overnight, but I feel that this goal is still within our reach. This will not solve our population issue which has been declining for the past 14 years, and sadly I'm not experienced enough in marketing to provide a solution for that one. As a side note, I'm not interested in the Ban Department and would rather not use my time on that.

I wish this will work as a good starting point for this year as things really need to start moving forward if we want to survive as a community.

tl;dr: temporarily helping the zone, but i'm no magician. if you have questions, cud post here.

Cud u fire the following useless fuks:
    Mmgod
    Demonic
    Shaddowknight
    Poid
    1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

o n left_eye

ty turbanig-chan
      1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

Ok, so improving staff is on the agenda. Not exactly a sweeping epiphany. And I understand that you do not want to commit to Steam and even seem to be rather soft on saying that you will/can change much with the current development situation since they are ‘out of your hands’. </SPAN>
        But isn’t this lack of resources the real root of the problem? Shaking up staff is like putting lipstick on a pig; at the end of the day the key is still new player retention and I see nothing in your plan/vision that speaks to this. We certainly want to give you a chance to implement your vision so perhaps it is just an oversight on your part. </SPAN>
        Would you mind throwing a few things out that you intent to change that might impact this critical issue?</SPAN>
        Eph</SPAN></SPAN>

Comment

That is obviously on the agenda, and I didn't have the time at that time write in greater detail thus missed it in the initial post.

We have had about talks implementing a new rule which doesn't have an official name as of yet, but it will be basically a "be nice" rule of some sorts where excessive verbal abuse, harrasment, personal attacks and such should not be tolerated in the public (or any other arena, in truth) to improve the chat experience of the players. This is especially critical if we get on Steam to improve our chances of actually keeping our players. There will be attempts to promote healthy competition (bragging over insults) through various means, such as giving recognition to the players who deserve it for their contributions, and possibly adding a few incentives for public squads to become a reality.

Preparing for the influx of new players after the Steam launch date has been announced will be a priority when that time comes, which will involve recruiting and training a lot of new staff members (and getting old ones to return), but there is no reason to focus on that right now when its not certain that it will happen in this time. The players don't deserve another disappointment from the staff.

There are some other topics that I will gladly talk about, and as I said there are many problems with our game and staff at the moment, and there is no way I can list all of them on one go.

I know we have an awful playe retention rate and it's one of the things that are hard to fix (requires marketing, retraining of staff, new rules that have to be followed), but given enough time it can be done. I realize that the rule that we may have in the future has its flaws, and may even be abused by some staff members, but something needs to be done to improve the new player experience.

As for being called soft, there is a very capable staff member in charge of the development projects and I fully trust his judgment as it is his area of expertise.

Comment

o and beasty too....never seen that guy ever do anything or even communicate to the player base

Comment

and as for the lack of resources, that will hopefully be fixed once the reputation of staff has been restored to its former level. It seems that no one wants to be on staff because of how they were treated in the past, or due to the fact that their hard work went unnoticed which ended up with them burning out.

Comment

?

Am rdy to be staff, count saggiN <zh> in

Comment

nah you dont want that shitty job with a bunch of useless ***s

Comment

good luck, turbs!!

-"be nice" rule would be so fucking awesome but, as you mentioned, it would require a less 'corrupt' staff. (corrupt really isnt the word, just... i dunno, self-serving?)

-remove head of staff and just have staff applications go to a broad vote. or, keep head of staff and remove staff application, making HoS a 'headhunter' for prospective staffers

i'm not a psychologist but i've read alot of journals about the nature of management and why so many managers tend to be shitty, it's because shitty people try to climb ladders so they can shit on people. an open application process is just going to bring people who might be more focused on ladder climbing than the zone itself.
                    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

thanks,

in my opinion having an open election of some sorts is an interesting idea to toy with, but in truth it would not be the perfect solution to our problem(s) as the votes would simply end up being a popularity contest among all the applicants which is not much different from our current staff structure. however, if there was a preliminary round of some sorts to eliminate the poor candidates from the final list of applicants with the help of experts then it could work.

i do agree that the deans of staff, and others in leadership positions in several staff deparments, should be more active when it comes to recruiting new people to staff or to help finish their goals and objectives.

we have always had several people who may start with good intentions about helping the zone and game with lots of motivation, but eventually (whether its due to real life pressure, lack of success or something else, i can never tell) they eventually want to accomplish more in an online game to get more control over others. this leads into certain people straying away from their original goal due to being a bit hungry for power. i have never understood why that happens, but i suppose it has something to do with the human psyche and nature.

there's a lot of work that needs to be done, and hopefully others in staff are willing to help me with this quest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                        Ok, so improving staff is on the agenda. Not exactly a sweeping epiphany. And I understand that you do not want to commit to Steam and even seem to be rather soft on saying that you will/can change much with the current development situation since they are ‘out of your hands’. </SPAN>
                        But isn’t this lack of resources the real root of the problem? Shaking up staff is like putting lipstick on a pig; at the end of the day the key is still new player retention and I see nothing in your plan/vision that speaks to this. We certainly want to give you a chance to implement your vision so perhaps it is just an oversight on your part. </SPAN>
                        Would you mind throwing a few things out that you intent to change that might impact this critical issue?</SPAN>
                        Eph</SPAN></SPAN>
                        Gl turban but it would be ideal if eph teams up perhaps\ becomes another temp systop (he seems to know what he's talking about).

I think a good idea would be to gather as many developers (retired\ ones from dif zones), not to boss them around but see if they can help in any way to make pub more fun\ improve twd in preparation for stream (if miricles happen)... Gather talented people for what they are good at like worm hole surfer\ jabjabjab and work on improving the appearance of pub\twd\ elim. Make it a fun project because if its not then the project will be abandoned.

Perhaps such projects should be included on forums and people can see exactly where u are up to\ what you want to achieve and perhaps a retired coder could come on forums- see what your working on and where your stuck at and they can help out (community effort instead of staff).
                        1:Hece> iv done good A (amphetamine) many times and ppl say u cant get your dick up on it..my dick works on every chemical i have tried so far

Comment

Best news I have read since steam greenlight. I will continue supporting the zone the best I can, and with turban leading the charge, it really gives Me a boost of confidence in how this zone will turnout in the coming months.
                          Captain of Blind

Comment

This feeling is comparable to an ichigo x rukia moment!The tears are flowing ahhhhhhhhh I live you senpai
                            Captain of Blind

Comment

m rdy to be zh
                              Gun remembers.

Comment

Working...
                              X