New League Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New League Idea

I started this idea in another thread, but I think it would get more attention if I started a seperate thread for it. I'm just going to dive into it. Its just an idea, should be fairly easy to implement, but it needs someone to take charge and make it happen. I don't have the time to put into making this league/tournament a reality, maybe someone else does? Anyhow.

Based on my past experiences, TW goes through waves of competetiveness (lots of activity on the squad dueling level), which tend to happen when leagues start and end. For example, when TWD was starting up, there was a lot of interest in it and lots and lots of groups signed up and participated. The next wave of competetiveness will be during TWL playoffs. However, once TWL ends, that competetiveness will drop down. How do you solve that? TWD lacks the centralization to create serious competition. TWL is competetive, but its long and generally takes some time between seasons. What happens during the downtime? This is where my idea comes in.

Although the name has been used, I believe that 'TWT' (trench wars tournaments), is the right name for my idea. Basically, its going to be a 16 team single elimination tournament system. (Notice how I said 'team', not 'squad'). Its going to be 4 rounds: after round 1, 8 teams will remain, after round 2, 4 will remain, after round 3, 2 will remain, after round 4, 1 will remain. This system allows for quick, 1 month long tournaments to take place whenever we want to. Why you ask? It puts teams into a fairly competetive situation, and that will lead to more fun and excitement for everyone.

Now, what is it exactly? TWT will be a tournament SYSTEM, not a league. Once set up, it will allow staff to run team tournaments whenever they want to. Why do I insist on saying TEAM instead of SQUAD? I originally came up with this idea thinking of a PUG (Pick-Up Game) tournament. IE: you would be able to play with your own team, and not necessarily your squad, all without any problems in TWL. This would allow "dream teams" to compete. Or, you can just make a team with your buddiest and join up. Only thing is that the tournament will have to be made to use either TWL/TWD rosters, or custom rosters.

Due to the competetive nature, I would like to see 3 30 minute rounds for atleast the last 3 rounds. The first round (16 teams), can be single round to relieve some stress for staff.

Usual rules would apply, 10 deaths in wb/jav. 30 minutes in base. Since this is just a system for setting up tournaments, wb/jav/base/spider/lanc/etc tournaments can be run.

What do you guys think?

Awesome idea Top.. This would be really cool.

Comment

Great idea.
      Warpath

Comment

Best idea i have herd in a while.. Keep them coming top
        It would be awesome with a tourney like that.

~ice

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
        1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
        1:Freeze> LOL FAR
        ---
        5:waven> freeze
        5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
        5:waven> you state your business with sanji
        5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
        5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
        5:waven> and i will talk to ease
        5:Freeze> LOL
        5:waven> that's how things work around here
        --
        1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Word top, thats gold.

The really good ideas are the ones staff picks up. This is one they should.
          Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

If it happens, I think they should shrink team size down to maybe ten people per team? I think that better suits the nature of the tournement. (P.S. ten people is just a nice round number, maybe there is a better number)

Comment

Good idea.. keep ourselves busy until next season

Comment

Just a word of warning that running anything of this size takes a ton of planning and effort to do. Unless someone volunteers specifically to set it up (someone from staff as that's how TW works.. it's not my policy, it's the SysOps') this is never going to fly.

Zeus!! ran that BWC thing which is in a way sort of like your idea and I bet that took him a lot of work to set up.

Either way, if you can find someone to do it then it will work, but if no one specifically volunteers (don't just say "this is something staff needs to do" but find a person or else no one will ever do it) then this idea will never fly. Interesting idea though.

-Epi
                Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                www.animeslice.com

Comment

I'd be willing to do it, but I don't know how to build websites, or bots, so I would need both of them. So I'm not to good of an asset
                  Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                  Message has been sent to online moderators
                  2:BLeeN> veh yes
                  (Overstrand)>no
                  2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                  2:BLeeN> ok then no
                  :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                  (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Staff has been working on this for awhile - from what I understand.
                    The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                    All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

I kinda like the down time between TWL's and stuff.. I'm actually looking forward to this one being over.

Your idea sounds fun though, I'd probably be on a team if someone asked me.
                      http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

sounds good, would especially be fun for basing. :x

<3 toppy

Edit:
                        make sure there are seperate teams for all leagues javs,wbs,base. i like the idea of playing with different ppl for a change without having to be disloyal.

Comment

I liked the first sentance, I think it would have been better if I read it all. But that's just me.
                          EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
                          cool koen> :)
                          PRiMORDiAL> pfft
                          cool koen> not because of a bug
                          EvoLd> Lol
                          Treachery> meh
                          EvoLd> why then?
                          PubAceR> women in power dont last
                          EvoLd> LOl
                          toaster oven reviews

Comment

dabram is right, this would be the shit for basing.
                            Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                            Message has been sent to online moderators
                            2:BLeeN> veh yes
                            (Overstrand)>no
                            2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                            2:BLeeN> ok then no
                            :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                            (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Epi, I know this stuff takes a lot of time to develop and I sure as hell don't have enough time to do it. But, having a solid idea is the starting point, I'm sure someone will volunteer sooner or later. Also, I know that nothing gets done without sysop approval (TWEL1 TWEL2 TW Draft League, etc), but, introducing an idea on forums is the place to start for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X