motivation to play terrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motivation to play terrier

really, terrs are samaritans at this point...
    perhaps some reward could be implemented to get them to try and stick around for a little?

(as it is, quitters and suicide terrs really stifle public basing.)

---

as a suggestion, though i don't know the programming feasability: any terr that survived since the previous *ding* could get the standard 200 points plus thier own bounty as an award... this would prevent people ship-switching to abuse it, and would encourage survival practice.

I suggested this back in 2001. I would gloat over the chance to prove that I've learnt something about this game, even if it does prove I play/think too much.

There are four kinds of pub players:

1.) Those out for kills/bounty (LTs, spawnbirds)
    2.) Those out for points (Freq hoppers)
    3.) Those who priv freq (Practice, bored basers)
    4.) Those who don't give a fuck (Everyone else)

Giving bonus points to terriers will cause the freq hoppers to rack up a tremendous amount of points based on little or no credible skill. It doesn't take much to let the rest of your team fight for the flag and for you to sit in the asteroid belt just soaking up the points.

Sure there are times when there is nothing for the terrier to do. Though if they aren't content with the 200 point flag bonus, they should change ships. If anything it will give the opposing freq some chance to spark a comeback and then it would warrant a return to terriering. Private frequencies (should) change their ships all the time to be effective in flag fights/attacking/defending. Regular pubbers should do the same.

You'll also find that most terriers only volunteer to terrier because they are the most bored of their frequency. If you're having a great time spidering in lower base, ass raping levs in spawn, or anything that you find more amusing than being a terrier, chances are you won't press esc 5. However those who are only playing for the sake of wasting some time or even just chatting, are more likely to terrier for a freq out of pure goodwill. Hence the reason many don't terrier for long in the first place. It's not always because they die quick, they're waiting for something better to come along. They don't need an incentive.

Got it?

Comment

Hmm... which category do I fit under, RudyH?

I find that people are more likely to fly terriers now then at times in the past. I see more and more new players using it these days. As it is, the problem I come across more often is a lack of people attaching to the terrs.

Comment

My theory. They don't attach to it because people know better than to fall for the "Attach for base" terrier only to find themselves in the company of a roving LT, or as you put it, a new fellow just trying it out. Oddly enough, I did start out in a terrier the first two days. If I'd known what it's true purpose in TW was, I wouldn't have wasted the time of the attachees who were expecting base. But it did help me adjust to the physics of the game for sure.

And as for what kind of pubber you are, you decide. I just hope it's not the LTing kind, is all. We have enough of those around. I'm a mix of category 1, 3, and 4. Though I wouldn't lev if my life depended on it. I feel all dirty in that trashy thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RudyH

There are four kinds of pub players:
          1.) kills
          2.) points
          3.) Practice/basers
          4.) Those who don't give a fuck
          well, type 1 and 4 players won't care about the idea in the first place. and for those of us, like myself, who are just trying to get some public basing on (heck, sometimes i switch to the losing freq to even out the hopper-lamers) it's a way to put a little more stability into the play environment. i mean, it's certainly not going to end bluepiggyism or anything.

Giving bonus points to terriers will cause the freq hoppers to rack up a tremendous amount of points based on little or no credible skill. It doesn't take much to let the rest of your team fight for the flag and for you to sit in the asteroid belt just soaking up the points.
          well, the freqhoppers can already get the 200 point *ding* (and the kill boost) and they can already camp in the boonies. my suggestion was for terrs that had maintained continuity since the last *ding* to get their bounty. (so, no death, no freq change, no ship change. eliminating most of the possible lameness, and rewarding exactly the behavior already needed by terrs.) nevermind the fact that freq and ship change both reset bounty anyways.

It's not always because they die quick, they're waiting for something better to come along. They don't need an incentive.

Got it?
          waiting for something better... don't need an incentive. ummm, so you directly imply that it's an inferior play experience, and then say that no compensation is necessary?

i'm not trying to incentivize survival (which you seem to have assumed), i'm trying to suggest a compensation for the inferior play experience. to keep people from jumping on the "something better" to the detriment of actually-having-the-flag, and that sweet sweet kill bonus.

Comment

I find that people are more likely to fly terriers now then in the past. I see more and more new players using it these days. As it is, the problem i come across more often is a lack of people attaching to the terrs.
            Got it in one.
            $$

Comment

well the only time i pub anymore i usually will terr to get a freq to take over the base, but this can be more the frustrating with no one attaching

when im bored i private freq terr alone and attack the flagroom alone, and more often then not take the flag too hehe, course when the sharks block the flag entrance its a lil tricky hehe then i gotta hope the opposite freq has an attacking shark

but the amount of wb's that sit in the base entrance and in mid sometimes make this not fun.....
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Comment

Ummmm

I have played pub terrier, often, for at least 5 years. I do not fit into any of the 4 little categories described above.

I play pub terrier because I enjoy the aspect of the game where I can organize a group of disparate players into a cohesive team and achieve a goal. Taking and holding base this way is a appealing challenge to me, since it taxes leadership and communication skills.

Comment

in the last couple days i was bored and so i decided to see if i oculd take the base on a private freq in a spider. i managed to easily do it many times, but eventually somebody would be a shark and that was the end of my fun.

there are more than anough terrriers playing, nobobdy needs an incentive. the problem is that sometimes they will go lting becuase the basing is boring, and most times only like 2 people attach.

Comment

hmmm

Well another idea is that the pub map be changed not alot but the main Spawning area decreased bring the bottom safe up alittle so ppl may want to go into base due to the lack of outside space!!, i believe this may encourage more ppl to base in a smaller area im not sure thou would be nice to try!!

I hate WORK

-Red

Comment

What about the type that just plays in pub for practice?
                      http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Working...
                      X