Aohell... American offline..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aohell... American offline..

Well, this is odd.. This is the 4th time this problem has occured for me.. See, its odd because it happens everytime i reformat my computer, My isp "Lag spikes," With ss the s2c will go from 0.1 to 20.0 without warning, and its not just ss it affects, but downloads, other games, programs, anything requiring an internet connection, it will only spike for a few seconds, but when it does its so bad that anything im doing requiring internet normally closes.. See, i bought this computer a year ago, its a compaq presario, when i first bought the computer i got set up and everything, dled continuum and ran it, thought i would chill in tw for a bit, meh, it spikes me out.. i get the warning:disconnected from server message, it does this ever 2 minutes or so.. well, i put up with it for a long time, and i got this virus, mcafee couldnt uninstall it, and it was slowly ruining my already shitty computer, i was getting dl speeds of like 200 bytes per second :-x, so, i reformatted my comp, and as a bonus, i thought it would fix this annoying lag problem, well, it didnt, but after a few months i had noticed the lag spiking had completely stopped, but i didnt remember changing anything, anyways, i was realllly enjoying this lag free connection (when i say lag free i mean spike free, anybody thats ever had aol knows that it ALWAYS lags) when i received this nasty little virus that deleted a windows file that was crucial to the computer, and all of my virus removal files, and kept me off the internet.. so i couldnt dl anything to uninstall it, and had to reformat,(same thing 2 times) now the problem is occuring again and im hoping some of you might know how i can fix it, im using a Lucent Win modem (now known as agere i think) but ive updated to the most recent driver i think, any ideas would be great...

Edit: Also, I have 2 other computers, neither of them are doing this.. they are on aol and just err.. lag really bad
    Last edited by Permit; 06-11-2004, 02:37 AM.
    MODERATOR WARNING: YOU ARE TO SEXY FOR TRENCH WARS! LEAVE NOW BEFORE I UNF! YOU - Mr. 420

I know this doesnt help permy, but theres your problem...AOHELL...and...Compaq....those comps suck IMO :P

Comment

Ugh, do you think i would be on aohell if i had the choice? NO! lol, its just the onlything available in my area.. thats what living in the country gets you
      MODERATOR WARNING: YOU ARE TO SEXY FOR TRENCH WARS! LEAVE NOW BEFORE I UNF! YOU - Mr. 420

Comment

id take aohell over a compaq :P~

Comment

Could be a router of your ISP, most likely will be on AOL.

They don't pay much attention to the rural server exchanges.

Comment

Compaq at least makes decent notebooks
            ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
            Failure teaches success.
            . â–²
            ▲ ▲

Comment

their notebooks are ok, but their PCs suck

Comment

ugh, i know its a shitty computer + a shitty connection.. but it gets things done, i just want this problem fixed :-\

Comment

When I had AOL about 5 years ago.. I would always keep a list of dialup numbers around, ones in a citys near me and of course my city. I found that it helped to go thru the different dialup numbers to find a good one to connect with because they are all different. Also another thing you may want to check into is AOL High Speed, this would probably fix your problem also.

Another thing that might help is a decent firewall like ZomeAlarm. With all these virus's your getting it might be helpful if one of them is a trojan. People may try to connect to you often and lots of people ping for trojans. This would also slow you down. Hope that helps, gl.

Comment

I was talking to permit in game and he said zone alarm raises his ping by like 900 :?

Comment

It does me too, and when I had AOL (like 5 years ago) I did what code did too, had several numbers which I could connect to.
                      USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                      ---A few minutes later---
                      9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                      9:Kim> UM
                      9:Kim> i didn't
                      9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                      9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                      9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                      9:pascone> lol?

Comment

i live in the boonies.. lol, there is 1 access # that isnt long distance, and its like 30 miles away from my city :-\

Comment

I'm afraid you're stuck.

Comment

Working...
                          X