Home Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Networking

OK, I'm buying a new computer when I go to college because it will be better as my sister will have coursework to do for her GCSEs and I will have my coursework for the Advanced courses I am taking next year, so there won't be any arguments as to whose work is more important.

Anyway- 2 questions:
    Can I use the same product key from my original Windows XP home on the old computer, and use it on the second computer too whilst networked?

Also- what hardware do I need to network the PCs? I don't know if I have a network card installed in this current one, but I will be getting one with the 2nd computer. My modem is an Alcatel USB Speedtouch.

Thanks

if your only networking 2 pc's u will need 2 network cards + a cable ur best bet is just go to computer shop and asked them they will tell u what u need

about product key it will work fine when u network the pcs togather but i can guess the code when u got it was for only one pc so u will need to ask microsoft to get it updated to use in more pc's
    Cat: You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? 'Hey man. You threw the stick, you go and get it yourself, I'm busy. If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?'

Comment

alright, cheers m8

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
        alright, cheers m8
        np
        Cat: You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? 'Hey man. You threw the stick, you go and get it yourself, I'm busy. If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?'

Comment

If you're going to be connecting the PCs to the internet, you will probably need a router/hub (dunno which).
          USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
          ---A few minutes later---
          9:cool koen> you scorereseted
          9:Kim> UM
          9:Kim> i didn't
          9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
          9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
          9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
          9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Anyway- 2 questions:
            Can I use the same product key from my original Windows XP home on the old computer, and use it on the second computer too whilst networked?

Also- what hardware do I need to network the PCs? I don't know if I have a network card installed in this current one, but I will be getting one with the 2nd computer. My modem is an Alcatel USB Speedtouch.

Thanks
            Answer #1: Legally, you have to have 1 License for 1 CPU. Illegally, it won't matter. If you use a router, it will identify itself by the computer name and not by the Activation Key.

Answer #2: I know you have a network card installed, because you have DSL.
            The connector is called an Rj-45.

You will need a router.

You will connect the DSL modem to the router. The router will server as a DHCP server, and will assign local IP addresses to each computer on your network. Just follow the software instructions.

IM on MSN if you have trouble setting up your network. Ask your sister for my MSN name.

Comment

His DSL modem could be USB
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim

Comment

You can also run your DSL connection into one computer, 3 NIC will be needed. 2 Nics on one computer acting as a server. One cross over CAT-5 cable going from the server to the 2nd computer or into a hub if you need more ports. This works out alright for 2, maybe 3 computers but I would go with the router solution if you have enough money to burn or if your LAN is going to change much in the future.

I've used the same key on a few networked PCs, no problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
                  You can also run your DSL connection into one computer, 3 NIC will be needed. 2 Nics on one computer acting as a server. One cross over CAT-5 cable going from the server to the 2nd computer or into a hub if you need more ports. This works out alright for 2, maybe 3 computers but I would go with the router solution if you have enough money to burn or if your LAN is going to change much in the future.

I've used the same key on a few networked PCs, no problems so far.
                  Routers aren't really that expensive, about the same as a PC Game for a cheap one.

Comment

The difference between a router and a hub is that routers have a lot of wires coming off of them, and hubs have a lot of wires going into them.
                    Wouldn't it be funny if I were right?
                    The pleasure's all mine.

Comment

mr. peanuts, here is what i got, i think i got the same as u, also the "red/purple" USB hub.

I have two network cards, 100mb, 1 in the first pc, the other one in the other computer

then i got a cable UTP CAT 5E cable bewteen it, just plug them in.

if u need furder help for your network i can post it here or contact me

btw: u don't need a router/hub if u want just a 2 computer P2P network.
                      Code:
                      1:Pred_FNM <ER>> guys, yellow + green is really shitty for forumcolours :p
                      1:lnx> what's wrong with that combination
                      1:lnx> I wear yellow-green clothes :(
                      1:Pred_FNM <ER>> i dont mean in clothes, in forums..
                      1:lnx> kk
                      1:lnx> buy a black-white computer monitor if you don't like the colors foo

Comment

thanks everyone, So can I use my ADSL modem as a router?

Dotsy, I want net access for both PCs, So can I can do that with just the network cards and the ethernet cable?

Unfortunately this older PC will have to act as the server and will presumably get priority, as there is no phone line in my bedroom which I can plug my ADSL filter into.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
                          If you're going to be connecting the PCs to the internet, you will probably need a router/hub (dunno which).
                          u dont need a router probly will help tho, i have a network with 4 pcs on it i have a hub tho but the asdl modem does not plug into it

usb modem i pluged into 1 pc and just enabled interent shareing on xp easy

i only need a hub becasue i have more than 2 pc's networked but i can guess u would not need hub/router when only networking 2 pcs if u want internet shareing

Comment

Dotsy, I want net access for both PCs, So can I can do that with just the network cards and the ethernet cable?
                            yep

Comment

Would I be able to play CS against my mate?

Comment

Working...
                              X