New DVD burner not recognised by computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DVD burner not recognised by computer

Ok, I just got a new DVD writer (NEC 2510A) so I took out my old CD writer and put in my NEC. It is all connected corrently (got that plug with 4 little things and that big long grey tape-like thing). Now my computer doesn't have an E: drive whereas my CD writer did.

Sorry for the lack of technical terms

oh! i just figured out how to do the New Hardware Wizard. i think it is fixed, although now Nero Burning Rom keeps crashing when I try to install

Comment

no wait. my computer still thinks tha my DVD writer is the CD writer

Comment

yay! fixed it. if anyone cares what I did what take the master IBE plug out of the DVD-ROM and put it into the DVD writer. that seems to work, although when I plug the slave IBE plug into the DVD-ROM with the master already in the DVD writer neither drive works. so I now have a working DVD writer with no DVD-ROM drive.. but that doesn't matter coc the DVD writer plays CDs too.

Comment

Did you check the pins? One of the drives has to be set as master and the other as slave through the pins. The actual plugs of the IDE cable are interchangeable and do not determine which one acts as the master and which one the slave.

From what you've described, it sounds like both drives are set to master. That's why your computer will only recognize one but not the other.

Comment

No, I didn't. I had a CD writer which I took out and replaced with the DVD writer. Both my drives worked fine before I removed the CD writer. I don't see why I'd have to change anything.

edit: But then again I know little about computers

Comment

The pins for slave/master are on the actual DVD drive, so you do need to change them. Look in the manual for the DVD drive you bought and it should be easy to figure out.
              sdg

Comment

it didn't come with any manuals or anything. Just the bare DVD drive itself.

Comment

well then it gets more complicated. they probably marked em with bad abbreviations of if you'r lucky there is a sticker on/under the drive which tells what jumper setting is for slave and aht is for master.
                  5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                  5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                  5: Da1andonly> =((
                  5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                  5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                  5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                    Did you check the pins? One of the drives has to be set as master and the other as slave through the pins. The actual plugs of the IDE cable are interchangeable and do not determine which one acts as the master and which one the slave.

From what you've described, it sounds like both drives are set to master. That's why your computer will only recognize one but not the other.

The default jumper setting is cableselect. If your motherboard supports it you needn't manually change the jumpers to pm/ps/sm/ss. If you're using S-ATA it's even simpler, because the master/slave concept doesn't apply.
                    Last edited by Fallen Angel; 07-17-2004, 05:37 PM.
                    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King

Ah! Cheers TK. Yeah, they were both set to master. Everything seems to be working great now. Although I seem to have an "extra" drive. 'D' drive is for the DVD-ROM, 'E' drive is for the DVD writer, but I seem to have an 'F' drive that doesn't actually do anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X