I need a wireless router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a wireless router?

I can't connect my second computer to the internet without a "wirelass router" apparently, according to some guy on a helpline. I did what FA said here:

but the sceond computer wont connect using "Ad Hoc". The guy on the phone said that i have to have an "Access Point" to connect from if I want to connect my second computer to the internet, which means I have to buy a wireless router?

edit: i really want to punch that guy on the phone - he seemed ultra-geeky with a speaky annoying voice. he was so patronising like he feeds off of people that don't know about computers and subtley insults you as he is explaining what you're doing wrong
    Last edited by NaiLed; 12-11-2004, 11:28 AM.

Originally posted by NaiLed

That guy is full of shit.
    I have the same setup myself and it works perfectly.

You share the usb modem connection (not the wireless connection).
    You enable ICS on it and select the network you want to grant internet access to (the wireless network).
    The ip-adres of the wireless card in the primary computer must be set to 192.168.0.1, but this will be done automatically.
    Now you should be able to connect to the internet over the wireless ad-hoc connection.
    Last edited by Fallen Angel; 12-11-2004, 12:20 PM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

That's what I thought. I've read on other wbsites that you don't need a router but I still can't seem to connect to the internet. When i try to connect to the internet on the second computer I get the error, "Error 797: Connection to the remote computer could not be established because modem not found or busy". Any ideas? Could it be my modem, not supprting networking or something? I've read in places that certain "simgle port modems only support one PC"

Comment

Technically that's true.
        You can only hookup one device to a single port modem.
        However, with ICS the traffic of the secondary computer is sent to the primary computer, which in turn sends it to the modem, so the modem is completely oblivious to the fact that the traffic it recives originates from another device.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

For some reason I cannot connect the "Local Area Connection" which is "SiS 900-based pci fast ethernet adapter" in the "Network Connections" folder. It says the network cable is unplugged.
          Last edited by NaiLed; 12-11-2004, 02:17 PM.

Comment

i'm stumped. ive tried almost everything. it says the wireless connection is connected, but i cant share ANYTHING

Comment

What's your modem?
              Have you tried finding out if it supports more than one pc... i had to change my one to get it working..
              I also had serious problems with the SSID numbers not being accepted by my broadcaster (wireless modem too)
              STARKITTY
              A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

edit: i really want to punch that guy on the phone - he seemed ultra-geeky with a speaky annoying voice. he was so patronising like he feeds off of people that don't know about computers and subtley insults you as he is explaining what you're doing wrong
                Oh I've been there many times. Theres people I know who are my age and work at technical call centres.

Comment

Working...
                X