MSN Messenger - receiving files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN Messenger - receiving files

I'm sick to death of my sister downloading viruses from people on MSN Messenger. Is there a way to stop her from receiving files from other people using MSN?

I think you can, but you'll need a firewall or something
    I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Lately I've been having alot of people putting up links to the same website and trying to send the same file. Its a hack in the program. It happens every so often....havent seen this happen for about a year until just recently though....as for disabling the ability to recieve files it depends on what windows system you are running and your version of MSN Messenger. Check your settings. On my current version I cant disable it. But if you have an anti-virus program you can go to:
      ->Personal Settings
      ->Messages
      ->File Transfer
      ->Scan for viruses using:
      then put in your anti-virus program....whenever a file transfer is accepted it should scan automatically....this is pretty basic and I'm not sure if it will be 100% effective but its worth a try.

Comment

yeah, that's the thing. I do have a virus scanner in place to scan received files but she downloads viruses that still get passed it (like one did just now, took me hours to fix...)

I am using MSN Messenger 6.2 and Windows XP

Comment

Use different accounts. :P
          Dont give your sister admin. powers, give her like a "guest" or something, she can still do stuff, but she wont be allowed to install it. AND everytime she logs off, all the stuff gets erased. The next time she comes back on, it'll still be the same.

Right right?
          AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

so if i made her use a "Guest" account, even if she downloads a virus it will get deleted when she logs off?

Comment

Not necessarily. i think the guest account will prevent her from downloading viruses in general. Alot of viruses won't be removed if she logs off. I'm not too sure about this guest account though...

Comment

Well is much safer, I dont think it'll screw up the whole comp. Only her account.

EDIT: Is best if you use a "User" account and not an admin. cuz if you screw the admin. account, your comp is over.... and here comes reformating. Just go on the admin. account when you need to install stuff. Otherwise, stay away from using it. :P
                AcidBomber <ER> ^-^

Comment

Disable TCP port 6891-6900 traffic on your firewall, this will still allow MSN Messenger to function but will block all Messenger file transfers. No big loss there really, it's slow as hell.

Comment

Sit her aside, and ask her to make sure all files she receives are .jpg .bmp .gif .mov .avi .mpg etc. Under NO circumstances should she download a .exe or a .scr
                    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                    ---A few minutes later---
                    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                    9:Kim> UM
                    9:Kim> i didn't
                    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

thanks guys!

Kolar: that sounds good, I think I might try that

Ewan: I'd have more luck talking to a wall

Acid + Mike: yeah, I think I'll make her use an account without admin powers now. thanks

Comment

I said something usefull too ffs
                        mention me plz, ty -_-
                        Big ups to Kolar again :up:
                        I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

I don't know about the MSN client, but at least in Trillian you can set it to never accept file transfers.

Comment

NEVER!

Gotta send those gigabyte files over MSN :fear:
                            ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                            Failure teaches success.

Comment

Working...
                            X